Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

We have pretty much fell in love with the cordless sawzall.

I have 5 acres of woodlot fenced in for my pig herd. Every strong wind makes a few branches fall down and they pin down my electric fence. So I have to walk my fence perimeter after every storm. A lot of the stuff I can clear with pruning lopers, but for anything much bigger the sawzall is fantastic.

We also use it for butchering. Removing the head has became quick and easy. Doing the long cut splitting the spine is now quick. It has reduced our butchering time to maybe 1/3 of what it had been without this one tool.

My wife had a smart-phone for a while, but when the contract expired we got rid of it. We only want a phone to make calls. It costs a lot to have the extra junk, and it only works when your in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

We also use it for butchering. Removing the head has became quick and easy. Doing the long cut splitting the spine is now quick. It has reduced our butchering time to maybe 1/3 of what it had been without this one tool.
I'll agree, those are fantastic for handling large game in the field too. Quartering and removing the head, legs, etc for reducing weight for packing is so much easier than with a handsaw or ax.

Good choice

Old 03-17-2015, 11:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Secondly, I always carry a zippo lighter, (butane doesn't work in the cold and a zippo can be refilled with gas or kerosene if necessary), and there is a magnesium match on my keychain.
Gasoline or, for those who wish to avoid the tell-tale spell, Coleman Fuel, is perfect for a Zippo or any other lighter or handwarmer that uses a flammable liquid fuel. However, people who fill their lighters with kerosene must always be sure to carry matches or perhaps a Bic to initially light the lighter as kerosene, depending upon the brand, has a flashpoint betwee 100 and 130 F. There are no fumes below the flashpoint so a spark has nothing to ignite. When we light a kerosene lamp we are first heating the wick to a temperature above the flashpoint. Only then will the kerosene fumes ignite. Please note my use of the word fumes. The liquid never ignites.

The liquid fuel in a Zippo evaporates in a few days. Zippo does, however, make tiny fuel tanks that are designed to be carrried. They're handy for carrying a variety of things. There is never any reason to buy cigarette lighter fluid or cleaning fluid. They're just descented gasoline in little containers that have very expensive price tags.

Back in the old days it was common for a young man to sprinkle his suit with gasoline when he was courting a young lady. When she smelled it she would believe him to be a frugal young man who dry cleaned his own suits with inexpensive gasoline rather than a special cleaning fluid, in other words, a good marriage prospect.

John Rourke in The Survivalist series always has his Zippo filled with gasoline.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 03-17-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It dawned on me that most of us have found items that are very useful in our lives, items that we perhaps stumbled on by accident, or maybe read a great review - but after trying it, we find that it's the best that we have found anywhere, at any time. This is as good a place as any to share those things, so that other people can try it, or at least look it over. It should probably relate to homesteading or preparedness in some way.

The "stuff" can be old or new, still made (so others can check it out). Just state what it is (even multiple items) why you like it so well, and what you use it for. Try not to violate the "No advertising" rule, though people often link to Amazon; you need not provide any link at all, or even mention a brand name. If it's made in the USA, all the better!

I'll start it off, with something I can't live without, and am using heavily right now - a pair of Muck chore boots, made perfectly for Maine's "mud season" . They use neoprene inside, fit tight but not annoyingly and are absolutely waterproof; my pair's going on 3 years old now. I use them for general springtime use in mud and residual snow, and during the summer when tending the poultry or garden. Wife won't let me wear 'em into the house though , wonder why??

a duster that I wear. made with the same kind of material that canvas is made with but wearable. I can wear it walking or riding my horse and stay dry in any type of weather. it also came with a hat made of the same material.

got my daughters each one when they hit 13.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:32 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:

I have 5 acres of woodlot fenced in for my pig herd. Every strong wind makes a few branches fall down and they pin down my electric fence. So I have to walk my fence perimeter after every storm. A lot of the stuff I can clear with pruning lopers, but for anything much bigger the sawzall is fantastic.

Now this is one of the reasons I started this thread. I was hoping to find some more useful gear. Happens I have a DeWalt Recip saw ('sawzall'), but it would never have occurred to me to use it for this purpose. Now I see the light!

Quote:
My wife had a smart-phone for a while, but when the contract expired we got rid of it. We only want a phone to make calls. It costs a lot to have the extra junk, and it only works when your in the city.
Glad you mentioned that! Another great item is the TracFone, and they do work in my neck of the Maine woods (I may have to get out of the woods first ). Prices start at $10 and yes, they even have smartphones but there are no plans. I use a cheap one, and buy the cards at Walmart for $30 each, probably every 6 months. Like they say, "No surprises". Great first phone for kids, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I'll agree, those are fantastic for handling large game in the field too. Quartering and removing the head, legs, etc for reducing weight for packing is so much easier than with a handsaw or ax.

Good choice
One of the homesteaders on youtube uses the axe and a butcher saw (hack saw), and I figured that was how it was done. Now I can get out my old DeWalt and make the job easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Gasoline or, for those who wish to avoid the tell-tale spell, Coleman Fuel, is perfect for a Zippo or any other lighter or handwarmer that uses a flammable liquid fuel.

The liquid fuel in a Zippo evaporates in a few days. Zippo does, however, make tiny fuel tanks that are designed to be carrried. They're handy for carrying a variety of things. There is never any reason to buy cigarette lighter fluid or cleaning fluid. They're just descented gasoline in little containers that have very expensive price tags.
Another good thing to know! Never having been a smoker, I still don't have a Zippo...but I can see one on the horizon. I knew the fuel evaporated pretty fast, but had no idea...gasoline, huh? Do I need to buy another tank for the gas, or can I use the one that comes with the lighter, after it's empty? Sorry to sound uninformed, but I've only used Bics!

Old 03-17-2015, 01:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
An ATV and/or a UTV. In my case, it's a Honda Rancher and Kubota RTV.

I use them constantly. Hauling or carrying things, trips to the neighbors, processing firewood, towing trailers, pulling the kids on sleds or toboggan, plowing the driveway, etc.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Another good thing to know! Never having been a smoker, I still don't have a Zippo...but I can see one on the horizon. I knew the fuel evaporated pretty fast, but had no idea...gasoline, huh? Do I need to buy another tank for the gas, or can I use the one that comes with the lighter, after it's empty? Sorry to sound uninformed, but I've only used Bics!
The lighter doesn't have a tank. It's filled with rayon balls that hold the fuel. At the bottom of the lighter is a nonabsorbent pad that retards evaporation. The tank is a separate item used primarily to provide an emergency fuel supply. There are better prices on ebay for lighters, accessories, and supplies, but only use a well-established seller with high volume to avoid counterfeits.

I'm appending the excellent Wikapedia article which I believe you'll find quite interesting.

You can find all sorts of things about a Zippo on youtube. Bics are just lighters. Zippo is an entire world. Serious mountaineers don't smoke, but they do carry Zippos.

Back in the old days men who did not smoke often carried lighters to light cigarettes for ladies. My mother explained this to me and bought me my first Zippo when I was headed to college.

Amazon.com: Zippo Armor High Polish Brass Lighter: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Zippo Fuel Canister: Sports & Outdoors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zippo

Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Now this is one of the reasons I started this thread. I was hoping to find some more useful gear. Happens I have a DeWalt Recip saw ('sawzall'), but it would never have occurred to me to use it for this purpose. Now I see the light!
A few years ago, one store had a bundle with, a charger and two batteries, along with skill saw, a sawzall, a spot light, and a drill, all for $99.

I know the rechargable battery will only last a few years, but it is hard to beat the low price with this selection of stuff. Obviously, I hate the disposable theme.

I have an assortment of different blades, and then my Dw [the butcher] has her own meat blades [that she keeps locked up].

Quote:
... You can find all sorts of things about a Zippo on youtube. Bics are just lighters. Zippo is an entire world. Serious mountaineers don't smoke, but they do carry Zippos.

Back in the old days men who did not smoke often carried lighters to light cigarettes for ladies. My mother explained this to me and bought me my first Zippo when I was headed to college.
Zippos are big in the Navy. I never smoked cigarettes, but in the 70s and 80s I used to carry a zippo for the ladies. By the late 80s I shifted to carrying a British brass model from WW1 that is better for use in high winds.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Zippos are big in the Navy. I never smoked cigarettes, but in the 70s and 80s I used to carry a zippo for the ladies.
Ahhh, I can see I'm just a bit older than you two guys! I was married in 1974, and my lady never smoked, either...so I didn't go around offering lights to other women! By the time I got into preparedness/survival, Bics were cheap and everywhere. Oh well, live and learn!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
An ATV and/or a UTV. In my case, it's a Honda Rancher and Kubota RTV.

I use them constantly. Hauling or carrying things, trips to the neighbors, processing firewood, towing trailers, pulling the kids on sleds or toboggan, plowing the driveway, etc.
^ This. We have 3 pickups here, one of which I use for plowing. But I can see where both an ATV and a sled (snowmobile) would come in really handy around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness