Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times

Advertisements

I have different knives that I like for dfifferent situations.

Everyday right now I carry a Home Depot folding razor blade knife, a small leatherman and a money clip knife with sissors, that get used suprisingly often. They are for utility. Cutting carpet, boxes, whatever. The razor knife could be defensive. But I'm old, come at me with evil intent, I'll probably just shoot you.

The small lthrmn is very small, but enough for a lot of light jobs. The utility knife is great IF you remember to keep a sharp blade in it. I keep a refill box in my tools in the truck and one in the shop, so I'm pretty good about changing blades. It's not a survival weapon though.

Hiking I will sometimes add a custom made Buck knife switchblade. Or more rarely these days since it isn't 'pc,' to wear a belt blade, a handmade sheath knife, looks like a bowie with a steak knife grip. Full length tang. Carried it for going on 45 years. Takes a razor edge and holds it well.

If the world ended I'd like the following handy, though not always on me.

1. Full size leatherman. (And a swiss army)
2. Above mentioned sheath knife.
3. My original Gerber "pig sticker." Thin, strong, lethal. Got it in the army in the 80's.
4. A machette.
5. My Eswing work axe.
6. My Henkel kitchen fillet knife. (If we are bringing the kitchen sink.)

Given the choice of only one I'd probably take a machette. It'll do anything from shaving matches to decapitations. Between the bunch you are pretty covered for SHTF.

Last edited by jamies; 10-05-2015 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Personally I prefer a laminated steel or carbon fixed blade with a Scandi grind. Mora makes a decent version (several models in fact) for cheap, $10-20, but I happen to own some fancier Norwegian ones.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 PM

569 posts, read 552,616 times
I carried a milano knife to work. It was because I had to cut a lot of strong multi-nations storage boxs anywhere anytime in hurries. And I had only one functional hand. And the knife for the office paper works wouldn't last for the storage boxes, such as the refrigerator packings.

A survival knife for everybody to carry was of course the Swiss Army knives. But I don't recommend carrying a pocket knife in the ordinary life.

It was because I was getting uncomfortable without a knife nearby after years of carrying a knife to works.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Zombie Tools | Makers of Bladed Weapons | Missoula, Montana

I bought one of their smaller blades last year. This thing is solid. Probably not terribly practical for carry, but certainly one to keep in the Arsenal.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
for EDC, here is what i have.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
I still have a couple of Rinaldi knives left, I gave 1 EACH to each of my daughters and still have 2 left for me.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

My biggest problem with stainless is that it doesn't work with flint for starting a fire.
What stainless steel knives do you have? The two opinel sandvik 12c27 stainless blades I have throw sparks like nobodie's business. And all the stainless steel blades I've seen on YouTube throw sparks too.

It's carbon knives that I mostly see not able to throw sparks.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:37 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I thought I might learn about some new and useful knives from this thread.
OK, here's one for you -

Cold Steel's "Survival Edge" is a 5" fixed blade of German steel with a hollow handle (wait - it's very well attached!). It weighs a measly 3 ounces! And it's cheap: $35 all the way down to $22. Comes with a great ferro rod that really throws the sparks; also comes with a plastic case that I'd never use...but there it is. The handle will hold lots of gear. Watch this video in the knife description:

Survival Edge Knife (Black Handle) - Cold Steel Knives

Old 10-12-2015, 07:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

The little knife is handy, but I view it as a backup should I lose or forget my Swiss Army Knife. I have the SwissChamp which I consider the largest practical knife in their line. It has everything we expect in an SAK; the quality is, of course, outstanding. Rather than wait for a problem I’ve played with all of the tools first to see what they could do.

Amazon.com: Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife (Red)

I've found the one with the two blades, pliers, two screw drivers, can opener awl and a few other things to be ideal. The one thing I might want on that would be the magnifying glass.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've found the one with the two blades, pliers, two screw drivers, can opener awl and a few other things to be ideal. The one thing I might want on that would be the magnifying glass.
It's a good magnifier free from the distortion so common in little magnifying glasses.. I don't often use it, but it can sometimes be a lifesaver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness