Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 07:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times

Advertisements

If you live in snow country, as I do, it won't be long before the flakes fly! Even if you get little to no snow in your area, colder temperatures are on the way. For us, that means more limited mobility on frigid or snowy days, and a need to have important materials stored at home for use there.

We run generators, chain saws, snow blowers, gas log splitters and soon - a nice used tractor. We heat with wood, kerosene, and propane. I plow snow with a Ford F250 with sand spreader on the back. All these labor savers require fuel...and if we run out, we need to get on icy roads to find more - if there is any more.

Go you store any fuel for winter use? What kind of containers do you store it in? Do you use color-coding (red = gas, yellow = diesel, blue = kerosene)? If you store gas, do you store summer or winter blend, or both? I was surprised to find that genuine NATO jerry cans are still sold, and how to tell them apart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDmpFIfWpE

In addition, it's important to have a supply of funnels on hand, as well as some small bettery pumps for transfer. Nothing is more annoying than a fuel spill...wasted money and you come in smelling like diesel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you live in snow country, as I do, it won't be long before the flakes fly! Even if you get little to no snow in your area, colder temperatures are on the way. For us, that means more limited mobility on frigid or snowy days, and a need to have important materials stored at home for use there.

We run generators, chain saws, snow blowers, gas log splitters and soon - a nice used tractor. We heat with wood, kerosene, and propane. I plow snow with a Ford F250 with sand spreader on the back. All these labor savers require fuel...and if we run out, we need to get on icy roads to find more - if there is any more.

Go you store any fuel for winter use? What kind of containers do you store it in? Do you use color-coding (red = gas, yellow = diesel, blue = kerosene)? If you store gas, do you store summer or winter blend, or both? I was surprised to find that genuine NATO jerry cans are still sold, and how to tell them apart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDmpFIfWpE

In addition, it's important to have a supply of funnels on hand, as well as some small bettery pumps for transfer. Nothing is more annoying than a fuel spill...wasted money and you come in smelling like diesel!
This is the type I use for gasoline and diesel although mine are older. There's a nozzle and hose so they're gravity fed. I can fuel vehicles directly. I use five gallon cans to transport diesel to the generator.

I keep kerosene in 3 1/2 gallon containers. I have kerosene lamps and two kerosene heaters. Kerosene is very safe to store.

The only gasoline I buy is Exxon Premium because it does not contain ethanol.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The only gasoline I buy is Exxon Premium because it does not contain ethanol.
That's interesting! We have Exxon stations around here...gonna check that out. Thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:12 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
The bulk (500+ gallon) bulk gas tank is full of ethanol free (pure) gas, treated with SeaFoam. This one has a gas station type pump nozzle running off a 12V deep cycle marine battery.

250 gallons of Diesel.
250 gallons of kero.
500 gallons of alcohol.
For these, I siphon into 5-gallon cans.

If you're looking for ethanol free gas, go to puregas.org.

If you have those newer 5-gallon cans with the crap nozzles that because of all their safety "stuff" they never work, check out the EZ- Pour Replacement Spout. They're the straight through nozzles like the old can's had. Available at most places but I found Ruralking.com has the best pricing most of the time. Not available in all States so if you live in a nanny state, you're probably screwed.

Just wrapped up the firewood, and am now completely set for 4 years out (15 full, 45 face cord). I have at least 50 more full cord already cut into logs so I have a lifetime supply.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:11 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
I store gasoline in 5 gallon plastic containers that I number and mark for the type of fuel. All blue containers are diesel, the red containers are regular with no ethanol added marked with green tape around the handle, and red containers with 100LL marked with blue tape around the handles. All auto gas is treat with Stabil fuel additive. All the containers are marked with a number 1-50 so that I can track the purchase date.

I have used treated gasoline that was 4 years old with no problem.

I used to use large 100 gallon metal storage tanks and had an issue with stored fuel. Fuel goes bad faster in the larger tanks because as you draw the gasoline levels down the void in the tank gets displaced with air and the oxygen in the air spoils the fuel quicker. To make large tanks justifiable the fuel needs to recycle often.

I also used the metal Jerry cans and found that they were only good for 5-10 years because they were rusting out to fast.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I have used treated gasoline that was 4 years old with no problem.
Same here. I found 2 cans of it, treated with Stabil, hidden behind some bins in the pole barn. I poured it into my pickup gas tank, to mix with the fresher stuff, and no problems.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Sea Foam Fuel Stabilizer, really good stuff! Sea Foam Sales Company - Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness