Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I just wonder that even for those who are the farthest away, after a while there's going to be a lot of radioactive particulate in the atmosphere getting pushed here and there by air currents, etc... Might it be that in a post SHTF world that people start coming down with cancer at much higher rates than pre-SHTF?
more a case of radiation poisoning I would think, but as the survival rate post SHTF isn't going to be that high not many people will suffer from it. the reason why we moved back to the south west is that the prevailing wind comes FROM the SW not towards it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:56 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Every reactor in the U.S. has a "spent fuel pool" where spent fuel is deposited. ...
Um, no.

Most nuclear reactors in the USA are operated by the DOD, those reactors do not have spent fuel pools.

There is a minority of nuclear reactors in the USA operated by private corporations, those might have pools.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Um, no.

Most nuclear reactors in the USA are operated by the DOD, those reactors do not have spent fuel pools.

There is a minority of nuclear reactors in the USA operated by private corporations, those might have pools.

we were mainly talking about reactors that are on land and are used for generating power, not the ones in subs and carriers and the like.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
If the balloon goes up nuclear and hydro power plants will be the only power plants in business. There are also a few coal-powered plants in the coal mining areas, but there are few of these. Living close to any of these will be a real advantage because industry there will have power when other areas may not. This may or may not the result of EMP. It could be simply the interruption of fuel deliveries for a variety of reasons.

Unsophisticated people, that is, poorly educated people, are prone to fear what they don't understand. There's no need for rational and informed individuals to take their lead from them. I must mention that ''poorly educated'' includes those who have never received an education that includes basic physical sciences or bothered to learn on their own. We need to stop tolerating boobery on this forum.

Petr Beckman wrote a concise book on both the reasons for the problem and the actual facts. While the book is nearly forty years old it merits the attention of those who would survive through reason and fact. Petr Beckman challenged Einstein's special theory and has hardly been shouted down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_Beckmann

The Health Hazards of Not Going Nuclear: Petr Beckmann: 9780911762174: Amazon.com: Books

I rarely recommend a work of fiction, but I am making an exception in this case because the science is first rate. Those hoping for worldwide collapse will find reading this novel orgasmic, but there's more to it than that. It's the story of a man's survival and the resilience of nuclear power plants.

Running around screaming and squealing about the evils of technology is fitting for the health food store clerk with an 80 IQ and a ninth grade education. However, there's another world of the scientifically literate and the intellectually literate in general. Those who would survive are well advised to make sure that they are of the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_niven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Pournelle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer%27s_Hammer

Amazon.com: lucifer's hammer: Books

Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Running around screaming and squealing about the evils of technology is fitting for the health food store clerk with an 80 IQ and a ninth grade education.
Just FYI I'm very pro-nuclear power and believe that we'd be in much better shape as a country if we generated more power via nuclear, but you can't escape the waste storage problem. Also, you're the guy advocating incest as a survival method. Just sayin...

Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Just FYI I'm very pro-nuclear power and believe that we'd be in much better shape as a country if we generated more power via nuclear, but you can't escape the waste storage problem. Also, you're the guy advocating incest as a survival method. Just sayin...
That is correct. I also favor rural iiving to avoid problems common to urban areas. I've purposely chosen politically conservative areas. I consider being self-employed to be safer than being an employee. I've wasted little money; my interests have been generally productive. I'm a believer in treating education as a lifelong task although a very pleasant task. You might call me incurably rational. Now you have several new positions to oppose. I'm sure that we could find many more.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That is correct. I also favor rural iiving to avoid problems common to urban areas. I've purposely chosen politically conservative areas. I consider being self-employed to be safer than being an employee. I've wasted little money; my interests have been generally productive. I'm a believer in treating education as a lifelong task although a very pleasant task. You might call me incurably rational. Now you have several new positions to oppose. I'm sure that we could find many more.
Nope-I agree with you on all counts, except for the creepy brothers marrying sisters thing.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:29 PM

94 posts, read 78,340 times
Quote:
Every reactor in the U.S. has a "spent fuel pool" where spent fuel is deposited. This fuel sits underwater in a chamber where the water is constantly circulated to dissipate the heat from the fission that is still occurring. If the pumps were to stop (ie: A SHTF scenario where the entire electric grid goes down-permanently), the water would heat to the point of boiling/evaporation until it was all gone. At that point, an uncontrolled fission reaction would begin which would melt the fuel, cause a fire, etc...spewing radioactive fallout into the air. Obviously in a SHTF scenario, no one is going to rush to control/contain this, it's just going to burn itself out. Here is the number/location of nuclear reactors currently operating in the United States:

NRC: Operating Nuclear Power Reactors (by Location or Name)

According to the NRC, by now (2015) these spent fuel pools are all full, or nearly full. Given that, how would anyone survive much past a total failure of the electric grid given the fact that there would eventually be the equivalent of 100 Chernobyls burning uncontrolled around the country? That's also assuming that the reactors were able to be shut down safely to begin with and the reactor cores themselves didn't melt down and blow the roof off. It looks like folks in the Rockies might have the best shot given their distance from nuclear power plants, but I think that would depend on how long the fires burned and how bad they got. Thoughts? BTW, I'm not against nuclear power, nor preparedness, I'm just asking a serious question.
You can relax, they can add boron / boric acid to the water to absorb the thermal neutrons (the slow ones responsible for interacting with fuel and flesh) and let the crazyfast neutrons shoot off into space

Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 PM

94 posts, read 78,340 times
"no one is going to rush to control/contain this"

You'd be surprised how much or how little you could pay ignorant people to clean up a nuclear fiasco

Old 10-09-2015, 12:54 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
in Britain, I read somewhere, the spent fuel rods are kept deep underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness