Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:13 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times

Advertisements

This is duplicate post somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:55 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
What you all think of Vega Meal replacement powders? You can buy tubs to last a yr (costly) but provides at least 2-3 full course meal daily per serving or all nutrition to survive awhile.
Will you be able to tolerate only 2 flavors of a rather rough tasting liquid product day in and day out for as long as you plan to use it? Items like these certainly can be part of an overall emergency nutrition plan but I certainly wouldn't rely on it as the only source. You can always buy a jar and try it out for a month and see how your body holds up to it. If anything, the experimentation will give you an opportunity to determine if you will need other items or what else (besides the powdered milk) is going to be needed to make this workable.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
They must really hate this thread since people are showing an interest in survival food.

I wonder what they'll do with the horror of my growing herbs, sprouts, and fruit inside with no government inspection.

Everyone was posting interesting information until the precious pair arrived.

Now, back to the topic of the thread, is anyone growing inside, greenhouse or elsewhere, tomatoes, bell peppers, or anything else to eat? I've grown cattails of different sizes as well. I discovered them in the works of ethnobotanists. My conclusion is that they're nice ornamentals but not so great as food.

Its easy enough to grow miniature citrus as well as coffee, but yields are low. However, they're very nice in a sunny breakfast room and the little citrus fruits are tasty, skin and all.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
...is anyone growing inside, greenhouse or elsewhere, tomatoes, bell peppers, or anything else to eat?
Sure, I've posted before, that I grow tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in hoop houses during the summer. In winter, I grow lettuce, spinach, radishes, and baby beets and carrots.

Unless you're referring to something different? I'm sure the same thing will work in your climate.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times
Wise, Food For Health,Jim Bakker Show ( best food best prices) Then try Emergency Essentials , Glen Beck show (request emergency food sources) Possibly Sams is providing good on-line food shop shop.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sure, I've posted before, that I grow tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in hoop houses during the summer. In winter, I grow lettuce, spinach, radishes, and baby beets and carrots.

Unless you're referring to something different? I'm sure the same thing will work in your climate.
I'm talking about growing things inside a building that's heated in cold weather. I currently have both hydroponic tomatoes and bell peppers along with herbs in pots of soil. I'm sprouting beans and a little alfalfa as well. I also raise mealworms for my chickens. They're laying more now with the coming of longer days. I have another hen now so that makes five chickens, four hens and a rooster.

People east of me twenty miles grow tomatoes and similar outside during the summer months, but it's too windy here.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,275,428 times
Still planting rice each year. Somehow, the plot keeps getting larger! I like the flavor, despite the fact that it is a pain to thresh. The first seeds to drop out of the dried rice heads are sorted and the largest are saved for the next year's planting.

The collards and rutabagas came thru the 26 degree low last week just fine. And, surprise, surprise, the rutabagas are starting to form a root!

I am going to need to do some reading on rhubarb before I try any. My space for a garden is limited.

I am trying to develop a garden that does not depend on outside help - starting plants indoors under lights, greenhouses, etc. It's hard to wait until the ground is warm enough for tomatoes, then plant seeds, when all the stores have these nice, big tomato plants for sale.

Oh, well, time to start turning the beds to mix in the compost so I can plant peas, potatoes, radishes, and other cool season veggies!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:36 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Oh, well, time to start turning the beds to mix in the compost so I can plant peas, potatoes, radishes, and other cool season veggies!
I still have about a foot of ice over my garden plot, real cool season up here

Usually, I'm lucky for the ground to be open enough to start planting spuds in late April, the rest of the root crops go in in May, above ground the first of June, otherwise I can still get killing frosts and have to start over.

I started raising some heritage stuff, and I've found it is really dependent on where those plants were developed. I have some tomatoes that must have come from the deep south as they are barely starting to put on blossoms when the frosts hit in September/October. Still looking for a good northern variety, so I usually use some of the Early Boy/Early Girl hybrids just to ensure a tomato crop.

I love my Rhubarb.

Doesn't take up a lot of space, produces all summer long, and has excellent flavor. I only have 4 plants, but get enough production for several gallons I freeze for winter as well as what I use during the summer.

I don't know how it handles southern heat, but in my area it can get to 100 degrees and be very dry in July/August, and as long as you water it, it does fine.
Plus, you don't have to replant. If you break off the seed pod, it comes back year after year on it's own, even surviving below zero temps in the winter when the ground is frozen solid.
Pretty hardy plant in my experience.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
MtS, why don't you try one or more of these tomatoes: Oxheart, Big Mama, and Supersauce. Yes, they are sauce varieties, but all that means is that they are meatier than usual. I know that Burpee carries two of them, and the 3rd is readily available. Two are hybrids and one is open-pollinated. They produce like crazy for us here! As in, many hundreds of pounds! Very tasty and good-lookin'!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,603,907 times
the 3 survival foods are: Honey , Peanut Butter and Christmas Cake, they all keep almost indefinitely and in the case of Christmas Cake this actually improves with age!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness