Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Kind of a odd post/question but here it goes.
My new Daughter in law recently exploded at me accusing me of being a paranoid loon and a bad Dad for teaching my Son to prep! Until now I was pretty proud of my self for getting him off on the right foot but she holds that I ruined his childhood and taught all the bad things in life....Not sure where all the hate is coming from...My Boy as a full time job and works at hard, did 6 yrs in the NG with a tour in Iraq, not a drunk /doper most important of he's not bugging me for money all the time...Anyone had anything similar happen?
Tod
Tell her to have a kid, come back in say, 25 years, and compare. Then she can start to debate. Until then? Shadddup.....

Old 01-14-2016, 03:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Your DIL messed up and picked the wrong guy if she picked your son without knowing he was a prepper...not your fault!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:53 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
My thoughts exactly

And you to Sir/Maam would be wrong.......

Old 01-14-2016, 04:11 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
And you to Sir/Maam would be wrong.......
We will never know - all we have is your word . This is why personal stuff should not be aired to the public - it is unfair to come and present a "situation" and ask for advice when the party or parties involved do not have a say or cannot give us their view on things. It is even more wrong to make up advice about such a situation, especially with really no info provided on your part. But sure, I am happy to be wrong either way. I think this thread belongs in "Relationships" or whatever the heck that forum is called on CD . Agreed?

Old 01-14-2016, 05:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
OP: We've never been confronted by the DIL, but she has never liked us. My guess is that she sees what a big influence we were on his life. She wants to control/dominate him, so she undermines us.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:10 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,212 times
The irony will be that the minute anything goes wrong, you are going to be the first one she asks for help.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
This would never happen if we worked to strengthen our families. I suffered contumelious attacks for daring to propose a solution to this sort of problem. I have been vindicated.

The Best Security Is a Strong Family

Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

I wouldn't recommend this next part but I wouldn't be able to help myself from stirring the pot with a comment like "Yes, i taught him that and I can't wait until ya'll give me a grandson/daughter so I can teach them the same." That would really get her juices flowing. I don't think its advisable for long term peace though.
DO NOT DO THE ABOVE

I am glad you don't recommend it because this will make it VERY BAD. I don't think anyone's parents should interfere in their kids marriage for any reason . Everyone is different and peoples philosophy's are different as well . Leave these two alone. If you told me something like the above you'd never see your grandkids again . You do NOT tell anyone how you are going to raise THEIR kids .
I have a daughter in law who 7 years ago I caught digging in my purse for money .. now I love my second son enough that I DO NOT want to put him in a position of him having to pick me or her . She knows what will happen if I ever catch her in it again PLUS I now live 2500 miles away . However ... I want him to be free to make his own choices without fear of having me say I TOLD YOU SO ... or God forbid him having to defend her against me . It will work itself out or it won't . You just be you and let these two work out their own marriage . I don't think you are bad and I am a super blue dem that just lives day by day like I said earlier .

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP: We've never been confronted by the DIL, but she has never liked us. My guess is that she sees what a big influence we were on his life. She wants to control/dominate him, so she undermines us.
..and you do not want to let go to live his own life .
What is wrong with some of you all here ?? When your kids get married they LEAVE YOU for their own lives !!! Jesus H . That's how this is supposed to work . I wouldn't want to spend all my time with my inlaws and I loved mine . I miss my MIL I think more than my husband does .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
a few years ago we were snowed in for nearly 4 weeks, good job I had the supplies in hand, huh?
Good Lord , me , my ancient Mercedes, my last teen and 3 cats and a house rat went through Katrina together and made it out alive . It took more than 4 weeks . It was GROSS and dangerous but I had a will to live and enough street smarts to survive and I didn't go to the superdome . In some occasions it is going to take the WILL to live .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 01-14-2016 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 03:11 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
I try not to create opinions on virtually no data but a short one-sided description
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
My guess is that the OP stuck his nose into an argument between his son and his wife over something that was their business and got told off.
Quote:
My thoughts exactly

Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,383,127 times
Quote:
We will never know - all we have is your word . This is why personal stuff should not be aired to the public
Give him a break it's an anonymous forum.

OP, I can't imagine my wife, if I were married, speak like that to my parents. She needs to be put back in her place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness