Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 03:44 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times

Advertisements

Kind of a odd post/question but here it goes.
My new Daughter in law recently exploded at me accusing me of being a paranoid loon and a bad Dad for teaching my Son to prep! Until now I was pretty proud of my self for getting him off on the right foot but she holds that I ruined his childhood and taught all the bad things in life....Not sure where all the hate is coming from...My Boy as a full time job and works at hard, did 6 yrs in the NG with a tour in Iraq, not a drunk /doper most important of he's not bugging me for money all the time...Anyone had anything similar happen?
Tod

Old 01-12-2016, 04:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,804 times
'Daughter-in-Law'

Completely different perspective and upbringing. Granted, we don't know your son or what his upbringing exactly was or how he conducts his personal life, but she married him for a reason. Things change after a marriage; could it be something as big as your son not wanting children because of the state of the world, or lack of common interests? How long did they know each other before they got married?

And it's not just prepping, it could of been sports or hunting or something else that would of set her off if you had done something different with your son. How do you you see yourself as a prepper? What is your son's outlook on prepping?

Or you can call her a troll and put her on Ignore.....

Old 01-12-2016, 05:10 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
My new Daughter in law recently exploded at me accusing me of being a paranoid loon and a bad Dad for teaching my Son to prep! Until now I was pretty proud of my self for getting him off on the right foot but she holds that I ruined his childhood and taught all the bad things in life....Not sure where all the hate is coming from...My Boy as a full time job and works at hard, did 6 yrs in the NG with a tour in Iraq, not a drunk /doper most important of he's not bugging me for money all the time...Anyone had anything similar happen?
Tod
You are obviously older than I and I don't mean any disrespect but I always wonder about people who air out their family laundry for the public to see. The question(s) you are asking should really be directed at your daughter in law - ask her why she feels you are a bad dad or why teaching your son to prep is such a terrible thing. There is always more than meets the eye in marriages - this is not the place to be looking for advice on this topic - from total strangers. Anyways, my $.02

Old 01-12-2016, 05:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Quote:
Tod
Sounds like she's trying to drive a wedge between you and your son. Are you guys pretty close?

She could just be a controlling type that doesn't want any other influences in his life but her. Very insecure personality type.

If they dated for a long time, something should have shown up, but if he's only known her a short time, he may not have known about any issues like this she may have had.
Or she could have just gone through college and it will take some time for reality to set in.

No, you're not a bad father for teaching his son how to get along in the world, and from your thumbnail description, he sounds like a well adjusted and productive young man.

If she's smart, she'll back off, but if not, hopefully before there are kids involved, he cuts his losses and goes out and finds a gal that will work with him not against him.

I've seen this kind of thing several times with friends. Usually it involves a car, hunting, going fishing with his buddies, anything the guy really likes and the female sees as a danger to her control of the guy.
It rarely ends well.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Thanks...I was really vented to the web world and now that I a bit calmer I don't know how to delete the thread....
Sorry

Old 01-12-2016, 07:02 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,036,493 times
Quote:
teaching my Son to prep
what does this mean? Is he hoarding guns and ammo and MRE's?

Old 01-12-2016, 07:07 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,338 times
My guess? DIL and son probably had a disagreement about money and spending priorities, and your son held his ground. She didn't get her way, and is lashing out at you for his logical dissecting of her arguments for her priorities - this is based on the limited info you presented, and me not knowing anybody involved (i.e. it is a dart board stab at the question).

Old 01-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
My guess? DIL and son probably had a disagreement about money and spending priorities, and your son held his ground. She didn't get her way, and is lashing out at you for his logical dissecting of her arguments for her priorities - this is based on the limited info you presented, and me not knowing anybody involved (i.e. it is a dart board stab at the question).
I try not to create opinions on virtually no data but a short one-sided description

Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks...I was really vented to the web world and now that I a bit calmer I don't know how to delete the thread....
Sorry
No sweat - good luck!

You can ask someone "higher up" on CD to delete the thread for you, there should be an official way to do it.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Sorry
Your post didn't bother me. But its true that often a mod will delete a thread if the OP requests it and has a good reason. A mod deleted one of my threads on the Colorado board for me despite the fact that the thread had grown pretty long. I just wasn't in a good place to debate the topic at the time, and I was taking it too seriously.

Anyhow, your DIL should have gotten to know your son well enough before she married him that she should have understood that the prepper thing was an important part of his life. If she didn't, that's her fault - not yours.

@MTSilvertip: Not every gal objects to her husband going hunting and fishing. Show me a man who loves and knows the out-of-doors, takes to the back country in his beat-up old 4WD with his camping equipment, plus hunting rifles and fishing gear, and I'll show you my soulmate. And if he just wants to go with the guys sometimes that's fine - just so long as I get in on the majority of the fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness