Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,603,757 times

Advertisements

I suppose I need to make a scenario. Say the Sun started behaving strangely, and it started flaring in a manner that shorted out our electronics and most communications. Mechanical items still work, but in a last garbled communication scientists figure the sun will keep doing this for 40 years before returning to normal.

Initial survival rate is pretty high. Would the neighborhood you live in maintain law and order?

I think my part of San Jose, crime is very low, we'd be ok from a law an order standpoint, but a Valley of geeks in an electricity free world probably doesn't bode well from a survival standpoint. However, with relatively low levels of community organization from what I've seen before, i'm not sure if that makes the neighborhood more or less susceptible to being overrun by another power. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:31 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
No way in hell. AZ is far too blue to even think this way. I need get out asap. It is becoming 3rd world & advice is to avoid travel here at all costs. Nothing here but desert, heat, more desert, more heat & strip malls built in 80s-90s -- now falling disrepair thanks to this administraton in DC & the great "jobs" creation program (which we ALL know to be really just more smoke n mirrors to deceive the US public).

What a joke this democracry seems to be unless we get harness, & try to realize we need each other to survive this coming chaos not disband & alienate one another -- as now seems to be the rule rather than exception. ;(

Old 06-16-2016, 04:30 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,812 times
Government, especially Local government isnt there to help you. They are there to help themselves. So when things go south. If you have no means of supporting yourself, expect to either die or become someones slave.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:42 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
"Neighborhood"?? Ohh....you live in San Jose!

If it lasted for any length of time, probably not too good a chance of a happy ending. Joe33's right about gov't not caring about you -- not even local gov't. And those who live in the hot desert...what were you thinking of?? Any place that can't be survived w/o air conditioning = bad news!

Move to the country, boys! Where it's green and cool waters flow! Who cares about some "neighborhood"??

Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
You could not pay me to live in a desert, where water is forced in/dammed...and the city should not exist without machinery/modern engineering.

Native Americans travelled through these lands, but like other large mammals, it was a temporary stop, and then they moved on to happier grazing/hunting grounds.

edit: ...chasing the animal that fed and clothed them, domicile. A lot to be learned from past.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Will the government survive the neighborhood breakdown? Might be the end of the day question.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:27 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
You could not pay me to live in a desert, where water is forced in/dammed...and the city should not exist without machinery/modern engineering.

Native Americans travelled through these lands, but like other large mammals, it was a temporary stop, and then they moved on to happier grazing/hunting grounds.

edit: ...chasing the animal that fed and clothed them, domicile. A lot to be learned from past.
You would be shocked at just how many cultures not only survived but thrived in the deserts of the world way before there was such a thing as technology.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:33 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times
Five years ago, my part of Connecticut had a widespread power outage lasting in some neighborhoods as long as 12 days. Freak October ice storm; wealthy suburban and semi-rural area (Farmington Valley). Social order held together calmly for about 7 days. By the start of the second week, reports of gunplay and threatening behaviors on the roads, at gas stations, and at supermarkets began to circulate. The local governments did respond, and a heightened police presence held things together. Also, some neighborhoods started to come back "online" about this time.

This is a well-educated, well-to-do, homogeneous area. And some commercial sections, including the largest shopping area, maintained power throughout. Most creature comforts were available somewhere by car throughout the outage, even if not at home.

I'd wager that a big city with an already irritable underclass would come undone in 3 or 4 days.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:34 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times
^^^

Editing to add that I don't live there anymore.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:53 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,276,136 times
Found out what my area would be like after Katrina hit. No wait, it would be worse now. A lot of outsiders have moved in; we are much more 'civilized'!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness