Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times

Advertisements

Early this morning, as is my habit, I went out to tend our poultry. One of our 3 dogs accompanied me - this was Jana, my 8-year-old Shepherd. She'd seemed antsy while still in the house, so I figured she might need a bathroom break. But she didn't. She bounded right over to the cages, and sniffed around all over.

It was still dark out, and I was wearing a headlamp. As I went about my chores, I heard a nasty snarl off a little ways, and a loud growl from Jana. In the light of the headlamp, I saw what I thought was the trace of a bobcat. It had been prowling around the poultry pens, and the birds were awake and nervous. I turned on a floodlight from the house, which lit up the area. Nothing. But that cat had been there, looking for a chicken dinner. Without Jana, who "knew" something was up while still in the house, I might never have suspected.

My dog was practicing something called "situational awareness". Her heightened sense of hearing and smell enabled her to detect a predator that I was not even looking out for. What other things, I later wondered, are going on in my life - or may someday be - that I am missing by being too absorbed in my own thoughts? Have I become so complacent, like many Americans, that I no lomger look for danger?

Take a look at this video, and practice while we have the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrS_gRNKjog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 05:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
I caught myself getting too absorbed in my own thoughts a few times and it bothered me enough to start making a conscious effort to avoid it. Sometimes I slip, so it's good to have this reminder.

I couldn't watch more than a minute of the video because people who make videos while driving irritate me. I'm not sure he was practicing what he was preaching.

I hope I didn't miss any good tips.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:03 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
I get situational aware; to point of paranoia tho. Often I overmistake due to hyper-vigilance. Tough to bridge between paranoia & hyper-vig as they're too close often. I have so many unanswered ?'s re moving up from AZ to MT, & often think "just homestead in warmth, stay here & hold your ground".

Yet I would like to get there before getting too old, & stil now young enough to move. An RV is an idea too but it seems a home would out due it -- due to stability & cost/maintenance, etc. Maybe I'll do new thread to discuss this idea.

Nor', again great topic & info, as per usual. Y'all are great cookies aboard here. Haha.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

I couldn't watch more than a minute of the video because people who make videos while driving irritate me. I'm not sure he was practicing what he was preaching.

I hope I didn't miss any good tips.
Yes, you sorta did...I know what you mean about those driving vids, but the good stuff in this one starts about 3 to 4 mins in, which you can skip ahead to. It was the best explanation of the concept I could find, but I may put another one up, as well. Suffice it to say, be aware of who and what is going on around you, esp in cities. This economy is not improving right now, and it would be nice if they'd just rob you and leave, but they often assault and kill, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

Nor', again great topic & info, as per usual. Y'all are great cookies aboard here. Haha.
Thanks, and this is not meant to raise anyone's paranoia level. Just be aware out there. And if you decide to move to MT, don't do it in the middle of the winter, OK?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,603,907 times
situational awareness is something I have practised for over 35 years, I was brought up in a city and being aware of what was going on around me was part of everyday life .
sadly these days people are too absorbed in their mobile phones and what is coming out of their headphones to be aware of what is going on around them, that's why mugging and street crime is a growth industry in the big cities.
I have seen people walk into street lamps, fall off the sidewalk or nearly be run over by a car!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
sadly these days people are too absorbed in their mobile phones and what is coming out of their headphones to be aware of what is going on around them, that's why mugging and street crime is a growth industry in the big cities.
I have seen people walk into street lamps, fall off the sidewalk or nearly be run over by a car!
Yes, it dawned on me later, that this is another reason not to become so addicted to phones and tablets, that you are oblivious to your surroundings. The young will just have to live and learn...

Old 01-06-2016, 03:05 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The young will just have to live and learn...
yes lets hope they have that option, I am awaiting the first fatality, having said that many traffic accidents are caused by people using mobile phones whilst driving-which is illegal here but we don't have enough cops to police it -especially outside of the cities.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:14 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Thanks, and this is not meant to raise anyone's paranoia level. Just be aware out there. And if you decide to move to MT, don't do it in the middle of the winter, OK?

Got to agree with that one!!!

When I was stationed in Bosnia and Kosovo, I had to be out on the street talking to the locals, so believe me, you keep your head on a swivel.

When I came home, I didn't realize that I'd picked up some habits. For instance, because of all the land mines over there, you didn't walk on grass, and when I came home I just naturally followed trails or sidewalks, and one day I saw a little kid cross a lawn and about freaked until I remembered that I wasn't over there anymore, it was OK to walk on the grass.

I still watch windows and rooftops when I walk around town. I still do a quick threat assessment on people I see, I always look for at least one other way out of stores and restaurants, I always notice when someone is just sitting in a car watching a building, usually they're just waiting for someone, but once learned, it doesn't go away.

Last night as I was walking out from work, a gal I work with used her electronic fob to open her car which was right beside me. When the dang thing beeped I just about cleared my truck diving for cover, instant bomb threat, even though it's been 14 years since I was in that war zone.

Some habits die hard, but in this case, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I will.

Thanks for posting it

Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM

63 posts, read 132,804 times
My husband is a fire chief and a firefighter with 33 years experience. He uses this term all of time. When we go to weddings, a restaurant, anyplace public, I watch him out of the corner of my eye looking at the ceiling, the windows, doorways, etc. Many years ago when we were much younger and dating, I asked him what he was doing, his answer was "figuring out how to get you out of here in an emergency". He usually always has a plan to go the direction everyone else is not... I'm not fireground savvy, but he also uses the term "sizeup" alot, which is quickly analyzing an emergency and quickly formulating a game plan. I lurk this forum a lot BTW and enjoy the posts of the regulars, a lot of good food for thought.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
I was fire captain of a volunteer fire department for 12 years, (got out because my knees couldn't do that kind of work anymore), a lot of the techniques work the same for both fire and Military. I would imagine it would be to the benefit of cops as well.

When you get on scene at a fire or accident or whatever, the first thing you do is an analysis or sizeup, identifying dangers from overhead wires, collapse zones, gas lines, fluid leaks, anything that could put you or your crew at risk. We always did a walk around to look at the scene from all angles while the crew was readying the equipment so we could brief them before they made entry or started stabilizing the scene. Your husband is exactly right and sounds like a good competent Chief.

Glad to see you posting, please feel free to join in anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness