Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:52 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was young, my family spent the summers on my step-grandparents homestead.
For light, we had "Aladdin lamps", filled with "coal oil".
For heat and cooking, we had a wood/coal fired kitchen range.
for doing laundry, we had a double washtub and a gasoline powered Maytag washing machine.
there was no electricity.
there was no running water, but there was a gas powered pump for irrigating the garden.
the toilet was "the little brown shack out back".
the firewood was cut with a cross-cut saw, a "Swede" saw, and a double bitted ax.
The only gasoline used was for the washing machine, the irrigation pump, and a monthly trip to town in the 1930 something Chevy touring car that had been modified into a truck.

Yes, life CAN be lived without gas, oil, and plastics, IF you really want to do the work. It WILL be a lot of work!
You will be doing laundry and bathing once a week. Heating that much water requires a LOT of wood for the stove.
You will be doing a lot of canning to preserve the produce from your garden. More wood to heat the water.
You will be smoking meats to preserve them. More wood, but special types. You can't use pine!
Your days will be spent cutting wood, weeding the garden, irrigating the garden, feeding livestock, hunting wild game, and cooking.
In the fall, you will be harvesting, canning, butchering, smoking, etc.
In the spring, you will be plowing, planting, etc.
and through it all you will be cutting wood.
Yes, I remember it well....

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, we were lucky; there was an old coal mine on the property. We had an unlimited supply of coal. All we had to do was dig it and haul it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 01:05 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I also love nice wool clothes for the winter. Has anyone tried alpaca wool as an alternative? Some people claim it is warmer and not as itchy. I wouldn't mind having a few alpacas someday for pack animal purposes and a wool source, not too mention they look really cool and would be fun to watch .
Having had a couple dozen llamas here at our ranch ... foster homed while awaiting adoption, and 4 for the last 15 years, and a dozen alpacas given to us from a ranch that raised them for companion animals and the fiber ...

I'd say that your expectations re alpacas are unfounded.

they're nasty, miserable animals to keep, not very friendly at all.

expecting to use them as pack animals may leave your sorely disappointed.

even with a full-size shearing station and quiet professional handpiece shearing gear, I couldn't shear any of the alpacas ... which is why I'll bet this group was culled from the herd the lady gave to us. They were living the "alpaca lifestyle" dream in the Colorado mountains with a studio, looms, and their own fiber processing plant. Years later that awful experience with these animals, I found out at a fiber arts fair that the lady was buying most of her alpaca fiber and finished products from South American sources.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Having had a couple dozen llamas here at our ranch ... foster homed while awaiting adoption, and 4 for the last 15 years, and a dozen alpacas given to us from a ranch that raised them for companion animals and the fiber ...

I'd say that your expectations re alpacas are unfounded.

they're nasty, miserable animals to keep, not very friendly at all.

expecting to use them as pack animals may leave your sorely disappointed.

even with a full-size shearing station and quiet professional handpiece shearing gear, I couldn't shear any of the alpacas ... which is why I'll bet this group was culled from the herd the lady gave to us. They were living the "alpaca lifestyle" dream in the Colorado mountains with a studio, looms, and their own fiber processing plant. Years later that awful experience with these animals, I found out at a fiber arts fair that the lady was buying most of her alpaca fiber and finished products from South American sources.
Have to second this. I worked on a ranch that had llamas and alpacas, not the best disposition. The spitting really gets old quick.

Any wool is graded, the highest quality uses the finest wool based on length of the shaft and the diameter. Most military surplus and military wool blankets are made from what's called rag wool. Very coarse and itchy.
The best wool doesn't itch, but you pay for it.
http://www.textileschool.com/article...rading-of-wool

Most "wool" clothes and products we get these days are a blend of cotton or a synthetic fiber that allows the manufacturer to use a cheap course wool, but only blending 20% or less wool means you feel the cotton or other blend.

Real fine wool doesn't itch.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
I have not read it yet, but this Kindle Book popped up as Free today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=amazon-20

Living Off the Grid: A Beginner's Guide to an Independent and Self-Sustaining Lifestyle (Shelter, Water & Energy Supply Guide)

Old 03-01-2016, 02:35 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
I have no experiences with alpacas and from the descriptions above I probably never will now . I am still curious to try out some of their wool though.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:06 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
A few eclectic thoughts on the question of fossil fuels:

I believe in conservation for conservation's sake. Waste not, want not. You know? I was very worried about "Peak Oil." (Logic tells us it must run out some day.) I was worried because American agriculture is said to be the process of turning petroleum into food and there's no good alternative to fossil fuel. Our food supply would be in jeopardy as oil supplies pooped out...but then came fracking. We now have access to natural gas supplies that will last 600 yrs. (Easy to turn gasoline engines into NG burners, and, to how many future generations are we responsible?)

While burning fossil fuel does add to the atm co2 pool, it does NOT effect the climate. Co2 levels have risen steadily for the past 200 yrs, but temps have gone up AND down in cycles over that time. Other weather/climate factors are much more potent determinants than co2. The whole AGW crisis is manufactured for political purposes to control us. Check out Saul Alinsky's Rules for Revolutionaries. (BO, BTW, taught a class at U of C on Alinsky's methods.)

Heating with wood is cheap and efficient. It recycles a natural product, so no change in co2 if you're still worried about it.

Autos can be converted to run on wood gas. It can be calculated that we have enough wood in this country to run our engines on wood for over 200 yrs, even if we don't replant the trees. (!)

Alternative energy sources like wind or PV are terribly expensive. Don't forget to figure in your "lost investment potential" when calculating your true costs, and also the fact that just about the time you get your system paid for, it's time to replace it.

The only real solution is to conserve: use less energy. Do we really need an 84 inch Big Screen TV in our 10' x 10' wilderness log cabin?

Old 03-05-2016, 01:50 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have no experiences with alpacas and from the descriptions above I probably never will now .
I think how any animal behaves has a lot to do with the owner and what the animal is used to. The owners of the alpaca farm I menioned spend a lot of time with them. They have frequent visitors too so the animals are used to getting a lot of attention. They are more like pets.

Quote:
I am still curious to try out some of their wool though.
It's soft, close to something like cashmere. People who suffer from allergies like it because it's hypoallergenic. Something to do with the fibers. They are hollow and smooth on the outside so allergens don't stick to them. Sheep fibers have little spurs that allergens get caught in. Some say alpaca has higher thermal quality because of the hollow fibers, but I haven't paid close enough attention to determine this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness