Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 06:15 PM

219 posts, read 163,707 times

Advertisements

I'm going to do something similar. Build a vardo and use the shell to move my stuff. Buy a small chunk of land, possibly one that had a house at one time, but has electric and septic available. Set up a carport with a room to one side. Park the vardo under the carport and set up my other things in the room. it can be used as space for company or if I get too old to live in the vardo, I can move into that room. I don't think I'm going to have a lot of money to spend for a place, so trying to figure out a way to do this as cheaply as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 02:17 AM

18 posts, read 18,489 times
In my small Arkansas town (population 252) there isn't a city code. People are pretty much on the honor system and it's worked well. In six years there's been just two house fires (one struck by lightning and the other, a vacant house the cause was likely an electrical short)
I want to convert my driveway from dirt to asphalt as I have classic cars and don't want to get mud on them. NO PROBLEM, pay the town a $50 fee and get it done. I want to extend the concrete from the carport too. Again no problem, pay the fee and do it. Larger cities would either outright say no or there'd be a bunch of red tape to go through. No thanks I like my freedom guaranteed by the Constitution.
HOAs and POAs are almost non existent in this state (just 3% of all homes in the entire state belong to one) Them and their Nazi regulations would be run out on a rail here.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:34 AM

18 posts, read 18,489 times
In Oregon there's a guy that lives on his property in an old Boeing 727. He did a great job building the interior.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:21 PM

1,811 posts, read 901,314 times
The majority of Alaska is free from building codes.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:11 AM

290 posts, read 151,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
-Several counties in the Southern Missouri Ozarks. Inexpensive land as well.
So long as you stay outside incorporated areas, many rural counties throughout Missouri have no building/electrical/mechanical/plumbing codes, no permits and no inspections. The exceptions are for wells and septic systems which are regulated at state level. But once you have those taken care of, you can build pretty much anything you like.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:55 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC-1966 View Post
So long as you stay outside incorporated areas, many rural counties throughout Missouri have no building/electrical/mechanical/plumbing codes, no permits and no inspections. The exceptions are for wells and septic systems which are regulated at state level. But once you have those taken care of, you can build pretty much anything you like.
Here in Maine, the state regulations for wells, required that the well driller file a form with the state saying that he had drilled a well, its depth, and its flow rate. There was no 'approval' process, and the state did not have any information about the drill site before drilling began.

As to our septic system. I hired a soil science / septic engineer, he walked all around on my property taking soil samples. He found the best location for a leechfield, and he gave me a custom design for my leechfield. Then attached to my building application was a letter from him stating that he had given me the design. He told me that the design is my property, and the state has no claim to ever see the design.

A lot of people in this area have 'camps', which do not require permission from the state.

But if you want to build a dwelling with a slab or foundation, then you are required to apply through the state for a building permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness