Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:42 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't quite classify myself as a complete addict, but I definitely have and use my phone quite a bit. I used to think I'd suffer severe withdrawal if I went without, but a little under three years ago my wife and I took a trip to Alaska where our data plan didn't work at all. We were able to put the phones down without a problem.

Totally unrelated to that, we now have a daughter that's just over two years old ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
I have a flip phone, that is only used for emergencies, or if wife wants something picked up from grocery store. I refuse to text, calling on a phone is meant for speaking, not writing; that's the way I remember phones being used anyway.
And if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.
No slave to a 'smart' phone here. I love my dumbphone. Even the guy at MetroPCS who sold it to me figured out in about a minute that I was looking for standard technology, not a computer that I could stare at all day long.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Totally unrelated to that, we now have a daughter that's just over two years old ;-)
Lol...the wife and I have had some hilarious discussions about the human race going extinct; can these phone-addicted people put down their phones long enough to, uh, fool around???

Old 04-28-2016, 05:32 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It's a thin, flat thing that allows you to access the internet, as well as to make calls/texts. From what you describe regarding airtime, I don't think you have one (nor do I).

I have no idea. It's about 12 hours away from northern Maine. I haven't been there in 2 decades.

Do you think the whole east coast is NYC???

Nor'eastah, I have a smart phone. The dam thing is smarter than I. With it, I can access the internet, make and receive calls/texts. MOF, it has a voice thing that I can simply speak to the phone and it makes a call for me. I haven't bothered to figure that out yet.

And yes, airtime is involved. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy and it's from TracFone. I am obliged to spend $100./year to keep it activated but with that activation comes more airtime, and with my particular phone, that airtime triples. I'm not glued to the phone so I have quite a store of minutes (they don't expire)

The only problem I see in a crisis would be if the towers all go down or if there's no accessible electricity to recharge the phone when the battery dies.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Ok, all joking aside. I imagine that there are some (mostly the young) who would have a tough few weeks if the phones suddenly went kaput but overall humans are amazingly adaptable.

As mentioned by others upstream my smartphone plays the role of phone, calculator, email, camera, notepad, calendar/day planner and often thanks to the magic of the internet a pretty handy dandy flora and fauna identifier as well as automotive repair help...

Back in the mid 1990s when suddenly everyone had a cell phone they seemed to serve the primary objective of calling to tell the folks at the other end that you were running late or calling to find out what was for dinner. I'm pretty certain that these two calls made up the majority of phone conversations from 1994-1997.

I do have a neat trick when hiking, camping, museum going, etc...I happily turn the phone off.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The only problem I see in a crisis would be if the towers all go down or if there's no accessible electricity to recharge the phone when the battery dies.
The government can and does block people from the network either in groups or as individuals. They also use it to track people.

In an emergency only goverment would likely have full access.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The government can and does block people from the network either in groups or as individuals. They also use it to track people.

In an emergency only goverment would likely have full access.

In that case, I wouldn't have to worry about my battery running out or the lack of electricity. And there wouldn't be anyone to contact anyway since only the gov't would have access.

If the gov't is tracking me, I'm not worried. The agent assigned to my case is fast asleep from boredom.

The lack of a phone wouldn't be burdensome to me. I'd worry about a shortage of tinfoil, though.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In that case, I wouldn't have to worry about my battery running out or the lack of electricity. And there wouldn't be anyone to contact anyway since only the gov't would have access.

If the gov't is tracking me, I'm not worried. The agent assigned to my case is fast asleep from boredom.

The lack of a phone wouldn't be burdensome to me. I'd worry about a shortage of tinfoil, though.
Why are you posting on this forum if you have no concerns? This is the S-S & P Forum, not the Consumer Electronics forum.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM

510 posts, read 716,794 times
I'm a cheapskate but finally got a smart phone when my parents were very elderly and not doing well. I could find out immediaetly from my sisters what was going on and if I had to skedaddle to see them (they were 4 hours away). If my sister was at the hospital with them she could text me ASAP.

On the other hand, I saw a group of workmen the other day. Before they would have been drinking their coffee and shooting the #$%%$ together. Instead, each was on their cell phone instead of talking to each other.

Like all technology, there's a an upside and downside. But people all over the world are on cell phones; it is not just Americans!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
I hate cell phones with a passion, though I need to have one in case of emergencies. Mine is not an I-phone, and I'm going to put off getting one as long as possible.

I recently lost my cell phone charger, so have to make a point of not using it that much until I get a new charger. And, since I don't have an I-phone, I'm not on this much - which is great.

I think if I-phones were to all suddenly stop working, many people on this planet would have a collective nervous breakdown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness