Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times

Advertisements

We've been on a trip to Yellowstone. Nice country, if you have about fifteen million for a modest home with a few acres. Be a good place if the economy failed and social unrest ensued. But, judging from the ten foot snow poles not a good place to winter. Not to mention the traffic, good grief!

And what if the Cauldera decides to blow? What is the chance in the next twenty five years or so.

PS - Happy - Was that your house with the skulls on spears surrounding the driveway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 03:53 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_(film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d14ntlWFsAA

Old 08-06-2016, 10:38 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
You would be dead if you lived there and I probably would live a little longer but under very difficult conditions. It would be bad for everyone. Your death would be more merciful than mine.

What is the point in life if you can't live where you enjoy life now? I imagine the self-sufficient people living there are finding a quality of life they enjoy.

I don't think you will find a place where nature can't kill you. My quality of life is a place where I can be reasonably self-sufficient and left alone now and under most scenarios. Many scenarios were taken into consideration but more importantly, I have enjoyed it for years already. I think the same can be said for others like Nor, Sub and Mts. We live in different parts under different conditions, but the one thing that should be obvious is that we enjoy our lives immensely.

What else is there to life? Am I missing the point?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:23 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
I live about 150 miles north of the caldera, if it pops, I doubt I'd even know, so why worry When St Helens blew, we got covered in volcanic dust. Sure hard on engines.

It's great country with a lot to offer, I enjoy life here, so what happens, happens. I couldn't survive if the caldera pops, so aside from moving somewhere else, there's not a lot I can do. The last time the Elkhorns blew it spread drifts of ash several feet deep all the way to Kansas. That's a lot of impacted area.

You can't live your life in fear, so you get what joy you can, live the way you want, and if you go out with your boots on, have no regrets.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
We chose to live in Maine specifically due to the caldera. It was a no-brainer. Maine is as far south as we could go and yet be far enough away from the caldera. It was our primary consideration.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:30 PM

All of the US and much of Canada would see ash. Crops and livestock would likely be destroyed. The climate would probably change for a few years which would halt food production, kill off native plants leaving no food for surviving wildlife either. If the ash, cold, other conditions don't slowly kill you, best to have 10+ years of food and water stashed away.

Yellowstone Volcano Supereruption Dangers - Business Insider

America's Most Dangerous Volcanoes - Business Insider

Old 08-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We chose to live in Maine specifically due to the caldera. It was a no-brainer. Maine is as far south as we could go and yet be far enough away from the caldera. It was our primary consideration.
Wut?!?!?

Old 08-06-2016, 03:21 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yeah us too, oops - https://www.google.com/search?q=hawa...EQsAQIJg&dpr=1

Old 08-06-2016, 03:36 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
When (not "if") it blows, I will have about enough time to bend over and kiss my butt goodbye!
When will it blow? Even the experts don't know. They know it will blow eventually, they are fairly sure the big blow-out is overdue, based on evidence left by the last ones, but they have no idea WHEN it will go.
Since there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, I don't worry about it.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:05 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Wut?!?!?
Sar' cas' m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness