Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times

Advertisements

You also want some smaller burners. You don't cook breakfast on the stove top, you pull the burner cover and cook with cast iron directly over the fire. If you have a 12" burner you are out of luck for using a 10" skillet. The same is true for popcorn. I used a 10" cast iron kettle for popcorn for years, over a 7" burner. It gave room to shake the pot without uncovering the fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
My wife decided that she wants the Kitchen Queen.

It has a summer grate that basically reduces the firebox size by half.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My wife does a lot of canning in the summer. That is most of her indoor 'cooking' in the summer. Otherwise we do need to shift to an outdoor kitchen, we have discussed doing such.

With all of our windows open and 2400 sq ft our gas stove does not seem to heat the house much in summer.

Since you are in Maine definitely consider coal for this. You'll thank me for this suggestion when you wake up in the morning after a 8 hour sleep when it's 0 out and your stove is still making huge amounts of heat.

The heat is also much more controllable for cooking purposes. With a coal stove you fill it up to the max and then control the burn rate with the air. Most people get on a 12 hour cycle of filling it but they can go go longer if you don't need that much heat or shorter if you want more heat.

If you are looking at antiques they make ones that are dual coal/gas. the gas is specifically for the reason you have outlined, it's for the summer. They also have them with water jackets.

I've not heard of many issues with warping and cracking with coal stoves but I'd imagine that has lot to do with the steady heat coal provides. It's not going through that cycle of wide swings in the heat output.

The only problem is these stoves can be pretty expensive. They don't make new ones. Here is two sites.

Barnstable Stove Shop. Antique Stoves in Gas, Wood and Coal. Largest Selection in the US. Over 500 antique stoves in stock at all times

Antique Stove Hospital. Antique Stoves. Wood Coal Gas Antique Stoves. Low Prices Glenwood Franklin. Huge Selection. Friendly Service

Old 09-02-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I like the idea that some of these have glass to allow you to see the fire and inside the oven.

My wife is concerned that these glass windows will need to be cleaned daily.

Any thoughts?
I know with the coal stoves if you keep after it the glass will stay nice. I think the one person on my forum was using newspaper and baking soda solution to clean it. To be 100% honest it's not a feature I'd want, I hate unnecessary work and that would be right at the top of the list.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Coal has a distinct odor but not the telltale smoke that is visible for miles.
Soft coal has a very sulfury smell and will produce a lot soot when burned, anthracite is completely different animal. A properly installed and operated coal stove using anthracite should be putting little to no odor into the house. If you can smell anything it's time to find out why.

Can you feel the heat?

Old 09-16-2016, 04:49 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
I got a new Kitchen Queen cookstove for my wife.

It is supposed to weigh around 400 pounds, I thought, so I was surprised when the shipping document says it weighs 1,095 pounds. I called one of my neighbors and the two of us spent the morning moving it into our house. I got it all together, and I finished with the stove pipe.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:03 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,594,523 times
Very COOL!!!

Old 09-17-2016, 05:02 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,500,394 times
Very pretty! I hope she has a long and lasting relationship with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness