Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:28 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times

Advertisements

Which would you be more willing to accept as payment in a SHTF scenario - or would be willing to pay for - 2015-2016 silver eagles or early Morgan/Peace Dollars? More silver in the Eagles but there is history to the Morgans/Peace Dollars that actually sell for more $$ right now than the eagles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 05:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Which would you be more willing to accept as payment in a SHTF scenario - or would be willing to pay for - 2015-2016 silver eagles or early Morgan/Peace Dollars? More silver in the Eagles but there is history to the Morgans/Peace Dollars that actually sell for more $$ right now than the eagles.
It is always a mistake to depend upon numismatic value, whether in good times or bad. The old cartwheels (Morgan/Peace $) are coin collector's items at present. You should never pay more per oz of silver than you need to.

My advice is to stick with the 1 troy oz rounds, as long as they are marked as such. Both ASEs and Canada Maple Leafs are excellent. The year does not matter. I know that numismatists are currently charging more for earlier years, but if the S ever does HTF, and IF silver is accepted once again as money, 1 troy oz of silver will have the same value regardless of mint year.

So, go with the ASEs of this year, but don't turn your nose up at Maples, either.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:01 AM

If the S really does hit the fan and I am starving, and you are standing in front of me with a handful of silver coins and a handful of chocolate coins wrapped in foil - i'd probably see the chocolate coins as more valuable...

Tks for the reply.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
If the S really does hit the fan and I am starving, and you are standing in front of me with a handful of silver coins and a handful of chocolate coins wrapped in foil - i'd probably see the chocolate coins as more valuable...
Oh yeah -- chocolate, liquor, tobacco, coffee, spices -- will all be in high demand if unavailable!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:24 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh yeah -- chocolate, liquor, tobacco, coffee, spices -- will all be in high demand if unavailable!
Especially Salt!

Liquor, beer, wine, hard spirits, can be made from local materials. For tobacco you can substitute kinnikinnick like the Indians did.
Coffee, (substitute Chicory), and Cacao can only be grown in specific places. Spices at one time were worth more than their weight in gold, but Salt you need just to live and in places far from the ocean or away from where it can be mined, it was so valuable that at one time the Roman soldiers were paid in salt, (sal for salt becomes salary in modern English).

There are places where salt is naturally occurring, but salt is essential for keeping you alive as well as for preservation of food for brining, salting and pickling.

If you don't have salt, you can substitute lye in some cases for preservation, but salt will always be valuable in any SHTF situation that lasts for any length of time.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
.... Salt you need just to live and in places far from the ocean or away from where it can be mined, it was so valuable that at one time the Roman soldiers were paid in salt, (sal for salt becomes salary in modern English).
Very true, my friend!

And the women in my family think that toilet paper is also needed "just to live"! So yes, we store salt, sugar, ammo, and toilet paper!

Old 12-07-2016, 12:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Premiums are low on common date Morgan and Peace Dollars whereas premiums on Silver Eagles are high for what they are. The real problem is that silver is becoming less and less valuable in its ratio to gold. This has actually been going on for several centuries, but the slide was exacerbated when silver lost its place in photography. Since silver production is mainly a byproduct of copper mining and since copper prices go up in a good economy stimulating mining, we may expect silver to slide further. It's a poor investment at this time. Gold is better, but the investment that has the most potential right now is the DJIA as well as a number of specific stocks, particularly financial services. Legislative relief for the financial services industry is on the horizon.

Anyone who likes silver can buy it as a collectible. Numismatic values will likely increase in the next few years. People should not buy silver as a commodity play at this time and possibly never.

Yesterday's best investments are not today's.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
I wouldn't discount silver as a means of holding wealth.

Things are all over the board and DJIA hit a record high today if I read things properly. At the same time, silver is up over 2% for the day. Things are crazy....

Old 12-08-2016, 01:32 PM

think maybe the fact that money in the bank is just digits on a computer is worth having some silver just in case...

Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
think maybe the fact that money in the bank is just digits on a computer is worth having some silver just in case...
In case of what? Read my previous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness