Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:03 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times

Advertisements

Horses. Transport, plowing, pulling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 02:38 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Thanks for all the great replies.... I should add that I only have 10 acres so anything would be relatively small scale operation. I live in Alaska where it can get very cold but others seem to have all sorts of kinds of animals with no problems. I plan on building a barn this summer as well so that could help for cold winter nights.

The kids love pigs for some reason. Really want one or two each to take care of. I've explained to them that poor Wilbur will be taking a bullet to the head eventually and that they will be eating them for breakfast. They seemed ok with that. I actually had a pig about 10 years ago that I raised from a piglet and did all the butchering myself with help from my BIL. Haven't had any serious livestock/animals since.

I do have two enclosed chicken coop domes or animal enclosures at 200 square foot each, built and ready to go. They are pretty sturdy, I'd be amazed if a predator got into them. They are definitely screaming to be filled with chickens. Any other livestock I'd have to build an enclosure for, which isn't a big deal, but also isn't completed yet.

I love horses as much as the next guy but the high start up and maintenance cost make it unfeasible for me at this time. Same with cows. I really like cows but they seem to be $1000+ Each or more up here. I'd rather just buy/barter some grass fed beef or buffalo from my friend instead. It seems it may be cheaper that way..

So far a toss up between chickens and pigs it seems, with goats being the runner up. Supposedly goat meat is great, but I've never tried it. My neighbor left his goats on his property with a bunch of hay for several months while he left this winter and they all survived, so they get points for hardiness.....

I'm not really into overwintering anything if possible as I do like to leave for days/weeks/months at a time whenever I get a wanderlust/travel streak in me. I would like to eventually have all sorts of kinds of animals out here, but I don't want to get too over my head and be stuck taking care of everything everyday. The less maintenance the better realistically. I'd be willing to overwinter and do more maintenance/chores if there was some potential profit involved.

People also have Yaks, Buffalo/Bison, and Reindeer nearby me as well. There is also an elk farm although I believe he primarily makes money from selling the elk antlers to japan as an aphrodisiac vs selling the meat.

I guess whatever I decide to do, that there is some barn and fence building in my future . Greenhouses are almost all ready for a decently sized lettuce and tomato operation this summer. So many projects and plans and such a short summer. Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2017, 07:14 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Ok, so you can only have one species of animal(s), which would you choose and why? Chickens, cows, pigs, goats, sheep, etc. Thinking of getting some animals for the property soon. Leaning towards chickens as I've had them before and we eat ALOT of eggs. Curious if anyone has a cow or pig or similar animal and what people think the best one animal for TEOTWAWkI scenario?

My vote goes to chickens. Pretty easy keepers and provide daily protein while still alive due to their eggs. Any other animals/livestock I should consider?

Does a buying a cow/pig(s) on a very a small scale save you money in the long run with meat or do you barely break even after all the costs?

I'm also interested in multiple animals if it can provide a profit...

ETA: I live in an extremely cold climate. No Galapagos turtles or flamingos for me .
What the heck is a TEOTW etc. scenario? I am not very good with internet shorthand.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The very best animal if you can only have one: a good hunting dog that will guard, or at least raise an alarm.

Wild caught meat won't moo or squeal or bleat at all hours of the day or night, bringing hungry strangers to your door. Even ghetto rats know that cockadoodle-do means fried chicken,

Other than that, top quality meat rabbits. They Don't Take Up Much space, they produce a lot of meat for very little feed. They can Be Fed Grass and Garden waste. They can be raised concealed and they don't make any noise. Plus they taste great.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
What the heck is a TEOTW etc. scenario? I am not very good with internet shorthand.
The End Of The World As We Know It = TEOTWAWKI.

It's more prepper shorthand, than internet shorthand.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The End Of The World As We Know It = TEOTWAWKI.

It's more prepper shorthand, than internet shorthand.
Now that sounds like a dooms day scenario. I guess being 83 such ideas do not enter my head. OTOH, regardless of age why be worried about something that may never happen. If it really does, let's hope it will be quick.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:34 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
When I use terms like SHTF and TEOTWAWKI it's mainly for fun, not that I have doomsday fantasies. It's a different way of thinking about things and can actually help you with sustainability.

Oregonwoodsmoke makes a good point. Ideally wild caught meat would be better than keeping livestock especially in my area. That's easier said than done though. Meat rabbits are interesting. I'll look into them. We have a bajillion snowshoe hares around here. I could easily snare a few. I haven't done this because some dude around here got sick from eating one at the wrong time of year for some reason which kind of turned me off to the eating rabbits thing.

I have a bunch of grouse around here as well. If I got a moose every year, a bunch of grouse, snowshoe hares, my 65 salmon and possibly a caribou I could probably provide my protein for the year without ever raising any livestock. Either way I need more freezer space.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
When I use terms like SHTF and TEOTWAWKI it's mainly for fun, not that I have doomsday fantasies. It's a different way of thinking about things and can actually help you with sustainability.

Oregonwoodsmoke makes a good point. Ideally wild caught meat would be better than keeping livestock especially in my area. That's easier said than done though. Meat rabbits are interesting. I'll look into them. We have a bajillion snowshoe hares around here. I could easily snare a few. I haven't done this because some dude around here got sick from eating one at the wrong time of year for some reason which kind of turned me off to the eating rabbits thing.

I have a bunch of grouse around here as well. If I got a moose every year, a bunch of grouse, snowshoe hares, my 65 salmon and possibly a caribou I could probably provide my protein for the year without ever raising any livestock. Either way I need more freezer space.
As long as you have electricity to keep your freezer going you may be alright. Try and think of getting by without a freezer. We did. No freezer or refrigerator when I was a young boy. Guess what, my father was a butcher and he always had fresh meat for his customers.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:32 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
You know, maybe best for your situation there with all the cold is reindeer. They are well adapted to the cold, can be used for draft animals if trained that way, I think it's possible to milk them as well.

Just sayin'. I have no expertise or experience with reindeer!

Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
... Either way I need more freezer space.
What about digging a cellar into the permafrost? Not familiar with such things, but wonder if it could work with a well-insulated top to frostline?

Also, I would think an icehouse(or combination of that and cellar) could work well up there. Cut ice from the river in winter, pack it into an icehouse insulated with sawdust(probably cheaper and more available than EPS foam?), should get you through summer months, especially if you pack already frozen meat in there.

As an aside, your post about the lack of property taxes in the unorganized boroughs has been percolating in my mind since I read it. I could see myself heading that way if things get much more intrusive down here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness