Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times

Advertisements

She has got some great ideas from all her years of camping. Just trying to survive. Pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0EoyTzcFOI

----------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:04 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
She needs a caretaker job.....she is handy, she is a thinker so she would be ideal as an older persons caretaker with free room and board.

Propane space heater in that car seems dangerous (fumes)

Old 11-30-2017, 08:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Bob Wells of the CheapRVliving YouTube channel interviews hundreds of people who live in their cars, vans, campers and cargo trailers. Most of them are older, retired people living on small incomes, and more than half of them are women. So this woman isn't unusual. No one would live this kind of life if they didn't have to. Bob himself lives the nomad lifestyle, and supplements his income with YouTube.

Most people think the economy is doing great (e.g. the stock market). But the stock market is not the economy. Young people are having a tough time finding decent paying employment. Many of the elderly are just a step ahead of this lady in the video, if not worse. There is a lack of affordable housing for such people. When those on the fringes of society start to run out of options - and that is what's behind all this "tiny house" and living in your car stuff - then it's time for us to admit that there is something fundamentally wrong with our economy, regardless of what the stock market is doing.

Those who criticize preppers, survivalists and self-sufficiency (see other thread on what paranoid "nut jobs" we all are) are living in a dream world where the social safety nets never fail, and the government handouts never stop. This woman is a good example of why people need to explore their own "what if's". If you really think she just loves her lifestyle, you've gotta be kidding.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
When I had my travel trailer, I had people stopping by regularly wanting to buy it (or me to donate it) for a friend or relative who was destitute and needed a place to live.

Poverty is alive and sick in America. It will get worse.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,598 times
I've done car living & while it's not the most ideal by any means, it saves you a lot of $. You just have to do it in an area with a decent climate. I did it in the Midwest but only between April and October, any other time of year is just deadly. I had a cheap gym membership for hygiene and a P.O. box for mail.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:22 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
She has got some great ideas from all her years of camping. Just trying to survive. Pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0EoyTzcFOI

----------------------------------------------

When I first became disabled and my case finally went through my ex got a judgement of spousal support and I was left with 342 a month to live on. She lied to the court about her income (she works for the post office and makes 32 an hour) but I had to wait on a hearing date for 3 months before I could do anything about it.

Thankfully I had family who put me up as I was just out of a two month hospital stay and could not even walk. The ex had some 'spalining to do to the judge when I finally got her to court. He awarded me a judgement to get the money back she had taken and quashed to support order but she never paid a dime of it.

If I hadn't had the help I did I would have been royally screwed. I can't imagine trying to live out of my truck, with unhealed surgical work on 342 bucks a month. I was "lucky". Some folks ain't so lucky....Life on disability ain't no life o' Riley.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
- and that is what's behind all this "tiny house" ... stuff -
I think in many cases, you are correct.

But the tiny house thing is also a reaction to the Bunyanesque McMansion thing. Some folks niether need nor want to pay for, maintain, heat/cool, etc, a home that is the size of a grand hotel. The current codes and municipal regulations are getting to where they are forcing people into way more than they want or need (at least many people). And... some folks don't take a liking to that. Of course, it's all about extracting more money from John Q. Public--safety has nothing to do with it. It's an industry and government that wants to maximize revenue (tax on 5000 sf as opposed to 500 sf, heating bills on 5000 sf as opposed to 500 sf, maintenance on 5000 sf as opposed to 500 sf, etc).

Personally, I live alone and plan to stay that way (even if I don't, there would be at most two people), so I see no reason for a giant house. A small home (from say, 400 sf up to about 1000 sf) is all I would ever "need" or want. Small and in the style of Carpenter Gothic/gothic Revival, French Second Empire, or say Queen Anne. Hey... small homes CAN be stylish, unlike most of what is being built today in the housing industry.

I think for the "prepper type" who does not have a large family, that is a reasonable goal for living space. Of course, if you need a workshop, shelter for animals, etc, that's all separate from the house. A big component of the direction I go with lifestyle is minimalism. I know minimalism and preparedness/self-sufficiency need not be synonymous. But I think when they are practiced together, they go hand in hand.

I'm more or less a libertarian by nature. Do as you like as long as it isn't preventing me from doing the same. But, having said that, a libertarian is free to have opinions, even negative opinions (I know that's frowned on in our day and age). My opinion is that our modern society is about as gluttonous as any that has graced the planet. I prefer not to follow suit, thus the preparedness thing, the minimalist thing, the "1880s lifestyle" thing, etc. For me, it's more than surviving some major catastrophe--I hope that never happens. It's just a lifestyle choice that happens to include minimalism and small houses and preparedness. Yup... a LITTLE House on the Prairie sort of deal is A-Okay with me... in the style of late 19th century Queen Anne architecture.

Like, say....... this one: (one of my own plans at just under 1000 sf of living space on three floors + attic)

Now, THAT'S my kind of tiny house.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-02-2017 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-02-2017, 05:01 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think in many cases, you are correct.

But the tiny house thing is also a reaction to the Bunyanesque McMansion thing. Some folks niether need nor want to pay for, maintain, heat/cool, etc, a home that is the size of a grand hotel. The current codes and municipal regulations are getting to where they are forcing people into way more than they want or need (at least many people). And... some folks don't take a liking to that. Of course, it's all about extracting more money from John Q. Public--safety has nothing to do with it. It's an industry and government that wants to maximize revenue (tax on 5000 sf as opposed to 500 sf, heating bills on 5000 sf as opposed to 500 sf, maintenance on 5000 sf as opposed to 500 sf, etc).

Personally, I live alone and plan to stay that way (even if I don't, there would be at most two people), so I see no reason for a giant house. A small home (from say, 400 sf up to about 1000 sf) is all I would ever "need" or want. Small and in the style of Carpenter Gothic/gothic Revival, French Second Empire, or say Queen Anne. Hey... small homes CAN be stylish, unlike most of what is being built today in the housing industry.

I think for the "prepper type" who does not have a large family, that is a reasonable goal for living space. Of course, if you need a workshop, shelter for animals, etc, that's all separate from the house. A big component of the direction I go with lifestyle is minimalism. I know minimalism and preparedness/self-sufficiency need not be synonymous. But I think when they are practiced together, they go hand in hand.

I'm more or less a libertarian by nature. Do as you like as long as it isn't preventing me from doing the same. But, having said that, a libertarian is free to have opinions, even negative opinions (I know that's frowned on in our day and age). My opinion is that our modern society is about as gluttonous as any that has graced the planet. I prefer not to follow suit, thus the preparedness thing, the minimalist thing, the "1880s lifestyle" thing, etc. For me, it's more than surviving some major catastrophe--I hope that never happens. It's just a lifestyle choice that happens to include minimalism and small houses and preparedness. Yup... a LITTLE House on the Prairie sort of deal is A-Okay with me... in the style of late 19th century Queen Anne architecture.

Like, say....... this one: (one of my own plans at just under 1000 sf of living space on three floors + attic)

Now, THAT'S my kind of tiny house.

That's very cute! I'd be perfectly happy living there. Love the porch too. But then I like many styles. I'm easy, lol.

Thank you all for posting your stories, and to the ones that haven't yet. I enjoy reading your input. Food for thought.

Last edited by mlulu23; 12-02-2017 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-02-2017, 08:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
This is really a shame there should be some kind of government housing for seniors or disabled people so they are out there homeless which is what living in a car basically is. They should make some micro apartments like 300 square feet or less so that people at least have a bathroom, cooking facilities and a place to sleep and they can pay 1/3 of their benefits to cover the rent. Or even some refurbished motel rooms turned into apartments.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 12-02-2017 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But the tiny house thing is also a reaction to the Bunyanesque McMansion thing. Some folks niether need nor want to pay for, maintain, heat/cool, etc, a home that is the size of a grand hotel. The current codes and municipal regulations are getting to where they are forcing people into way more than they want or need (at least many people). And... some folks don't take a liking to that. Of course, it's all about extracting more money from John Q. Public--safety has nothing to do with it.
I agree about the McMansion thing, but most people don't live in those. I know I don't. The wife and I live in a 28 x 40 1120 sf ranch in northern Maine, 2 beds, 1 bath, and it's off grid to boot! In Maine, we've noticed that smaller houses are the norm - when you have to heat it up here, you think twice about the square footage!

But no, what I was referring to in my post above, is the 320 sf storage shed turned into a backyard home in mom n pop's yard, with a hose and an extension cord as "conveniences". While that would have been more than adequate in 1880, we realize now that substandard housing can lead to physical conditions and shortened lifespans. There's a difference between living in a small space out of choice, and doing so out of necessity. People living in storage sheds are still homeless people, and that still speaks volumes about our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness