Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:07 PM

731 posts, read 678,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ehhh, my popcorn isn't Orville Redenbacher brand. And to make matters worse, I opened up a bucket of tainted rye the other day. I've been on a witch hunt ever since... so you'd probably be best off down at the FEMA camp where they offer free charging stations. We're a little busy with trials here at the compound, anyway.
Doesn't LSD grow on mouldy rye? LSD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Slavery would have gone away by itself with the invention of the cotton gin. The Civil War was a huge waste of life. As a pure blooded Texan I still do not like the left wing yankee carpet baggers who are flooding our state and doing away with Texas culture.

Popcorn- I just love popcorn. What a great change from enriched white rice as a storage food.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:44 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Doesn't LSD grow on mouldy rye? LSD
Something very close, yes.

That reference to the Salem witch trials was because it is theorized that a significant number of women in Salem who were accused of being witches could very possibly have been affected by tainted rye (effects of ergot). At least that is the educated guess by historians for some of the reportedly bizarre behavior of the women.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Something very close, yes.

That reference to the Salem witch trials was because it is theorized that a significant number of women in Salem who were accused of being witches could very possibly have been affected by tainted rye (effects of ergot). At least that is the educated guess by historians for some of the reportedly bizarre behavior of the women.
There are real witches. A witch is anyone who works with a spirit who may be good, evil, or somewhere between, the same as humans and deities. Witches could conceivably work with Satan himself, but it's more likely that they would work with lesser and more easily controlled entities.

People, both witches and others, could purposely ingest ergot after learning of its effects.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Slavery would have gone away by itself with the invention of the cotton gin. The Civil War was a huge waste of life. As a pure blooded Texan I still do not like the left wing yankee carpet baggers who are flooding our state and doing away with Texas culture.

Popcorn- I just love popcorn. What a great change from enriched white rice as a storage food.
The cotton gin was invented in 1793, and saved slavery. Prior to Eli Whitney, cotton was a marginal crop. A cheap and fast way of processing the fiber, together with the almost simultaneous invention of the spinning mill (1789), created a market for all the cotton the South could grow. The way they grew it was by hundreds of thousands of slave field hands. Mechanical prototypes appeared throughout the late 1930s and early 1940s, but Allis Chalmers put the first mechanical picker into mass production in 1949. Slavery would have continued to be very profitable for another 85 years. The only way to end slavery was the way it happened.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:27 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There are real witches. A witch is anyone who works with a spirit who may be good, evil, or somewhere between, the same as humans and deities.
Do you know where I could meet some??

Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Avoid any who call themselves Wiccans; they're nothing more than a social group. Beyond that, you'll need to judge for yourself. Beware of those who offer to do work for very low prices. That's normally just a hook.

You may be able to find people who work with some of the Norse gods. You may have the ability to work with the gods yourself, particularly the minor gods who don't receive much attention. Don't neglect your heritage. Search Norse religious websites. Use your gods' names in the searches. Use Maine as a search term as well. Only use witch as a search term if you also have a god's name or similar along with it. You'll just encounter goofiness otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sei%C3%B0r

Ask the dead for help, that is, people whom you know. Be sure that you have the right one, not a fake who is there for the wrong reason.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I know several, but they are not Christians, so don't believe in Christian demigods like Satan.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Avoid any who call themselves Wiccans; they're nothing more than a social group. Beyond that, you'll need to judge for yourself. Beware of those who offer to do work for very low prices. That's normally just a hook.

You may be able to find people who work with some of the Norse gods. You may have the ability to work with the gods yourself, particularly the minor gods who don't receive much attention. Don't neglect your heritage. Search Norse religious websites. Use your gods' names in the searches. Use Maine as a search term as well. Only use witch as a search term if you also have a god's name or similar along with it. You'll just encounter goofiness otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sei%C3%B0r

Ask the dead for help, that is, people whom you know. Be sure that you have the right one, not a fake who is there for the wrong reason.
There's nothing wrong with social groups. They can be really handy. Most churches are nothing but social groups. I learned when I was a young guy in the army that the way to meet girls was in church. First, a pass to go to church was pretty much automatic, and it got me around most of the family defenses of daughter's virginity. Not that daughter had any virginity to defend.

Wiccans are pretty much all women. They tend toward the mature side, because it takes a while for young people to shed their Christian indoctrination, but it's not unusual to find Wiccans in their 30s and 40s who are ready to practice a few horizontal rituals.

If there are any Asatru around, they fly way below my radar, and I'm a lifelong heathen. As far as I'm concerned, there is no life after death. Human consciousness requires a functioning human brain. When the old squash rots, that's the end of the line.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The cotton gin was invented in 1793, and saved slavery. Prior to Eli Whitney, cotton was a marginal crop. A cheap and fast way of processing the fiber, together with the almost simultaneous invention of the spinning mill (1789), created a market for all the cotton the South could grow. The way they grew it was by hundreds of thousands of slave field hands. Mechanical prototypes appeared throughout the late 1930s and early 1940s, but Allis Chalmers put the first mechanical picker into mass production in 1949. Slavery would have continued to be very profitable for another 85 years. The only way to end slavery was the way it happened.
You are right Larry, the cotton gin made it profitable and the Rust broters invented the cotton picker. However, you are incorrect about the invention of the spinning wheel. I happen to have one. The spinning wheel was invented in India between 500 and 1000 BC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_wheel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness