Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:35 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,497,064 times

Advertisements

At various times, many of us have speculated what the consequences would be of an epidemic here in the US. It may be ebola, bird flu, swine flu, plague, or a resurgence of an old disease, such as polio, smallpox, yellow fever, malaria - that may occur after a natural disaster.

But we do have an epidemic raging right now, called Obesity. You can't catch it, so nobody is panicking. But they should be. It will likely catch you. Over one third of Americans are obese, and upwards of 75% are overweight. Even children are not spared - 30% of children from ages 2 to 19 are overweight or obese. And the numbers keep climbing each year. If you shop at Walmart or walk through a mall, you already know about this.

The consequences? Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cardiac ailments, arthritis, shortened lifespan, stroke...not to mention the $ billions spent each year on medical care. Pretty sobering stuff.

Please take the time to examine yourself and your loved ones to determine where on the weight spectrum they fall. Odds are excellent that someone reading this will be affected. Make the effort to lose some weight, and get back into shape. You can't be a survivor if you're dead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 04:37 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,655,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
At various times, many of us have speculated what the consequences would be of an epidemic here in the US. It may be ebola, bird flu, swine flu, plague, or a resurgence of an old disease, such as polio, smallpox, yellow fever, malaria - that may occur after a natural disaster.

But we do have an epidemic raging right now, called Obesity. You can't catch it, so nobody is panicking. But they should be. It will likely catch you. Over one third of Americans are obese, and upwards of 75% are overweight. Even children are not spared - 30% of children from ages 2 to 19 are overweight or obese. And the numbers keep climbing each year. If you shop at Walmart or walk through a mall, you already know about this.

The consequences? Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cardiac ailments, arthritis, shortened lifespan, stroke...not to mention the $ billions spent each year on medical care. Pretty sobering stuff.

Please take the time to examine yourself and your loved ones to determine where on the weight spectrum they fall. Odds are excellent that someone reading this will be affected. Make the effort to lose some weight, and get back into shape. You can't be a survivor if you're dead!
I am chubby as hell. I can live on my fat reserves alone for quite awhile! I was out today at a swap meet and I hear what you are saying. Lotta folks on scooters and other wheeled assistance. I am aware of the health risks but geeze I think I can stay off a scooter.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times
Quote:

Very trendy—it goes well with refusing vaccinations and avoiding GMO foods. Are you also gluten sensitive and do you get headaches from MSG?

There are those who eat to live, but I live to eat. I do not intend to live a life of perpetual hunger.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Very trendy—it goes well with refusing vaccinations and avoiding GMO foods. Are you also gluten sensitive and do you get headaches from MSG?

There are those who eat to live, but I live to eat. I do not intend to live a life of perpetual hunger.
I had all the vaccines I needed - and then some - as a kid. Sheesh. Now that I wear my big boy pants, I can make up my own damn mind whether I want to be jabbed or not. Thanks for asking!

"I do not intend to live a life of perpetual hunger". Is this supposed to mean that not being FAT means "perpetual hunger"?? Because it doesn't. If you're fat or obese, learn how to eat right. Neither excess fat nor perpetual hunger should be a part of anyone's life!

Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 PM

8,991 posts, read 4,674,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I am chubby as hell. I can live on my fat reserves alone for quite awhile! I was out today at a swap meet and I hear what you are saying. Lotta folks on scooters and other wheeled assistance. I am aware of the health risks but geeze I think I can stay off a scooter.
Many of those who are in those scooters have spinal or hip joint damage from carrying to many pounds too far. Got some of that myself. I have tended to put on a pound or so a year, for longer than I care to remember, and it is starting to have a detrimental effect. Others, of course, are suffering from injuries, but we don't see that when we look at them. We just see a fat person on wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenNChicks View Post
Check Basal Metabolic Index yourselves.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/as...alculator.html
Heres the new Truck Mudflap
Love the Mudflap Idea, but I have found most of those "indexes" to be not very useful, since humans are too varied for them to work. The ones from the government are usually politically driven, so they are the worst.

Quote:
I had all the vaccines I needed - and then some - as a kid. Sheesh. Now that I wear my big boy pants, I can make up my own damn mind whether I want to be jabbed or not. Thanks for asking!
Good comeback. I spent some time in the military, so I have a record about 12 pages long of all of the vaccines they gave me, two of which are classified (and even today 25+ years later), there is a question as to what was in those two). But I still think there is a reason people should get vaccinated. Like you, though, I think the person getting jabbed (or their parents) should have some say in how aggressive that vaccination table is.

Quote:
"I do not intend to live a life of perpetual hunger". Is this supposed to mean that not being FAT means "perpetual hunger"?? Because it doesn't. If you're fat or obese, learn how to eat right. Neither excess fat nor perpetual hunger should be a part of anyone's life!
Stay active. I know telling you is to preach to the choir, but others read this too. Stay active. That is the single biggest factor in keeping healthy.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:22 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times
I agree that hunger and obesity are opposites. You can be fit and trim without hunger.

Obesity is the epidemic of our society.

I can spend the day running errands and feel like I did a lot of stuff. But when the day is done, have I really done anything?

Different people have ideas on what exactly is causing obesity. Salt? Sugar? Oils? processed foods? GMOs?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,244,940 times
The cure to obesity is 2 cheap Rx pills: an appetite suppressor & a metabolism booster (to prevent the body's natural reaction to less calories). You have to get the pills without mentioning they're for weight loss; it's illegal for doctors to prescribe an Rx from each class for that reason, after the travesty of the "Fen-Fen" trial (now an embarrassment to the legal system; the judge made himself the unsupervised head of a "charity" he created to take half of his multi-billion judgement!).

There are hundreds of safe Rx alternatives to the single "Fen" that the now-jailed Fen-Fen lawyers claimed was dangerous, but the big bucks are treating obesity problems. We have the solution, but each of us has to figure it out, then get around Big Gov't & Big Business roadblocks.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Different people have ideas on what exactly is causing obesity. Salt? Sugar? Oils? processed foods? GMOs?
Carbohydrates, and carbohydrates alone.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:14 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The cure to obesity is 2 cheap Rx pills: an appetite suppressor & a metabolism booster (to prevent the body's natural reaction to less calories). You have to get the pills without mentioning they're for weight loss; it's illegal for doctors to prescribe an Rx from each class for that reason, after the travesty of the "Fen-Fen" trial (now an embarrassment to the legal system; the judge made himself the unsupervised head of a "charity" he created to take half of his multi-billion judgement!).
So you are suggesting that the next time I see a doctor to get me some sutures, I need to ask for an 'appetite suppressor & a metabolism booster' to help the tetanus shot?

Old 02-18-2018, 01:52 PM

8,991 posts, read 4,674,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

There are hundreds of safe Rx alternatives to the single "Fen" that the now-jailed Fen-Fen lawyers claimed was dangerous, but the big bucks are treating obesity problems. We have the solution, but each of us has to figure it out, then get around Big Gov't & Big Business roadblocks.
This is not correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness