Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 04:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I know a lot of people who take pride in spending $10,000 so they can just throw a switch and power 50% of the house. I just can't justify that expenditure. I don't mock them, because some people think that is important to be prepared.

I do wonder sometimes if I made a mistake as it may be difficult to get gas several times a day.

If you have a wide spread outage, the gas stations inside the outage area will not work. You need to store (and rotate) some jerry cans of gas. Or as suggested a propane powered generator is "da bomb" but you are then tethered to a large propane tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
If you use the chest type freezer to freeze bottles of ice, you can use that to hold other foods cold and just freeze the bottles over again when you run the freezer.
Yes, and those of us living in cold winter climates are pretty well set, with freezers full of meat. Take a plastic bottle, fill it with water mixed with salt at the rate of 1/2 cup salt per gallon of water, and set it out overnight to freeze for free. This solution freezes at a lower temperature than plain water, and works great in a freezer or cooler. Works well in a fridge, too.

Quote:
If you're worried about gas, propane is a good alternative. It doesn't degrade as bad, and a couple 100 lb. tanks will last you quite a while in an emergency.
This is true, and 2 of our 3 gensets have been adapted to run on propane. In our case, one shares a metal garden wagon with a 20 lb tank, and the other shares a wagon with a 30 lb tank. Much less bulky, and easier for the wife to manage, without lifting anything. Anybody can pull a wagon, and all the better if the propane tank and extension cords are right there, where we need them.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:56 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Freezing milk jugs provides some emergency supplies in a power outage. Both milk and ice to keep the fridge functional awhile longer. I also freeze many liter bottles of water which keeps hiking water cool for the dogs and I.

Many can fast for a long time if they have water to drink. Fasting is, more and more, appearing to be the greatest cure all of them all. Who seen that coming? One fat cat fasted for a year and lost over 300 pounds. Even his skin shrank which is quite unusual. The body goes into a healing mode when there is "no food" to digest.

Only buying groceries about every three weeks, I freeze a lot of stuff. There are pros and cons to being remote.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Decade after decade of hurricanes and major power outages and still most are clueless about needing a transfer switch to get the power to the panel. A semi-auto transfer switch can be had for a little over $1,000 installed.
After a two-week outage many years ago, and screwing around with extension cords, we went whole-house.
Little Honda portables are great as backups or for camping, but can't handle much else.
I'd rather backfeed the generator through the house wiring in an emergency and spend the $1K (and in my area the estimates are closer to $1500 -2000) on other emergency prep stuff. I have an 8000 watt portable gen I've only had to use twice in the past 8 years....I installed a dedicated 220 outlet to hook generator to for backfeeding. Of course I know what I'm doing (which separates me from 99% of the public) and I'm aware of all the precautions I need to take (shut as shutting off mains, etc) to utilize it this way. You can save all the "BUT THAT'S AGAINST CODE!!! - CLUTCH MY PEARLS!!" talk. I'm not blowing $$$$ on something I may need once or twice a decade.

If I lived in an area prone to power loss then I'd get a standalone full time propane generator but for me and where I am it's just not cost effective. My buddy who lives nearby put one in and it cost him over $10K for the install, wiring, hookup, etc and he's used it ONCE for less than a day without power.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:29 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you have a wide spread outage, the gas stations inside the outage area will not work. You need to store (and rotate) some jerry cans of gas. Or as suggested a propane powered generator is "da bomb" but you are then tethered to a large propane tank.
Yeah...but what do you do when the propane runs out??....with gas at least, in a true SHTF scenario, you would still be able to get gas for a while by siphoning or punching gas tanks of abandoned vehicles, etc. But, if such a scenario is prolonged then everyone is out of luck as whatever fuel you choose will run out.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Yeah...but what do you do when the propane runs out??....with gas at least, in a true SHTF scenario, you would still be able to get gas for a while by siphoning or punching gas tanks of abandoned vehicles, etc. But, if such a scenario is prolonged then everyone is out of luck as whatever fuel you choose will run out.
You have got to be Joking.

Unless TEOTWAWKI scenario involves everyone (except you) suddenly forgetting how to drive, or forgetting how to get gas out of vehicles one of two things will happen in the first 30 days. Either most vehicles will still run, and people will be killing each other over the remaining vehicles and gasoline, or almost no vehicles will run and some people will steal the gas out of the abandon ones, followed by ambushes set up to rob (and probably kill) anyone who is still trying to steal gas.

In a lesser SHTF, you would still be stealing gasoline, which might be a consideration for "shoot the looter." And in a lesser scenario, a good supply of propane (in a remote area) will last a well trained prepper for months.
(And, of course, there are some on here who can run either gas or propane.)

Old 10-04-2018, 12:19 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Many home standby generators run on natural / propane gas. Not many fuel worries there......

Old 10-04-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I'd rather backfeed the generator through the house wiring in an emergency and spend the $1K (and in my area the estimates are closer to $1500 -2000) on other emergency prep stuff. I have an 8000 watt portable gen I've only had to use twice in the past 8 years....I installed a dedicated 220 outlet to hook generator to for backfeeding. Of course I know what I'm doing (which separates me from 99% of the public) and I'm aware of all the precautions I need to take (shut as shutting off mains, etc) to utilize it this way. You can save all the "BUT THAT'S AGAINST CODE!!! - CLUTCH MY PEARLS!!" talk. I'm not blowing $$$$ on something I may need once or twice a decade.

If I lived in an area prone to power loss then I'd get a standalone full time propane generator but for me and where I am it's just not cost effective. My buddy who lives nearby put one in and it cost him over $10K for the install, wiring, hookup, etc and he's used it ONCE for less than a day without power.
I'm a serious prepper and see similar sentiment every time I turn around. "Bro - you sneezed? Don't be stupid, go to the doctor and do it now." "Bro - you bought some fish antibiotics?" Well that brings along a whole litany of Safety Sam lectures.

Snowflakes and Safety Sams do not enjoy a favorable prognosis in my estimations of the outcomes of very serious SHTF scenarios. They will ball up in the corner and wait for the authorities to bring them Big Macs and a doctor. The authorities will be hightailing it to the closest underground military compound.

Don't get me wrong. I spend a lot of time and money on safety and precautionary measures. That includes precautionary measures for the day that calling 911 doesn't do any good.

On the other hand now - your tidbit about puncturing gas tanks of abandoned vehicles? Not going any closer to that one.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr4R6CoOYe8

Old 10-04-2018, 07:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
What does this have to with a rational discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness