Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 08:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
The electricity went out yesterday during a storm. One of my neighbors cracked me up. I got my lanterns, turned them on, and continued reading my book.

I saw lights outside and took a look. My neighbor had moved their car to the front of their house and turned on the lights. The front door was open to let the light in! They had to be freezing.

Fortunately, the lights were off only a short time. Bet the neighbors went shopping today.
In 1994, I lived in a 9-apartment building in Van Nuys, CA. When the Northridge quake hit, it was about 10 miles from where I was living. Power was out, naturally, and I gathered with the other tenants to see if everyone was okay. I couldn't believe that out of those 9 apartments, only three had any flashlights. And I was the only one with more than one flashlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
In 1994, I lived in a 9-apartment building in Van Nuys, CA. When the Northridge quake hit, it was about 10 miles from where I was living. Power was out, naturally, and I gathered with the other tenants to see if everyone was okay. I couldn't believe that out of those 9 apartments, only three had any flashlights. And I was the only one with more than one flashlight.
that does not surprise me one bit.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Prepping is mostly a hobby. It helps out when you have adverse events lasting a few days, but as a society, we are not able to self survive for longer periods due to numbers and commodity sourcing of just about everything which we use.

It's nice to have food, generators, and whatever as part of your hobby and be able to use these things in a storm or other short term natural disaster. Longer term, it is a non starter. One season and there is not a next for food, fuel, etc. Sure, a few will survive like dogs, but beyond that, it is wildly impractical. And if someone (by the thousands) shows up and shoots you to take your stash, it didn't get you very far.

I came on here today to see what anyone had done with our government on the verge of collapse. Anyone on the move, so to speak?

See what I mean? Even with disaster at your door, how do you know when it is time, and what do you do? And by the time you figure "now" is the time, someone stronger will have taken you out.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:14 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Prepping is mostly a hobby. It helps out when you have adverse events lasting a few days, but as a society, we are not able to self survive for longer periods due to numbers and commodity sourcing of just about everything which we use.

It's nice to have food, generators, and whatever as part of your hobby and be able to use these things in a storm or other short term natural disaster. Longer term, it is a non starter. One season and there is not a next for food, fuel, etc. Sure, a few will survive like dogs, but beyond that, it is wildly impractical. And if someone (by the thousands) shows up and shoots you to take your stash, it didn't get you very far.

I came on here today to see what anyone had done with our government on the verge of collapse. Anyone on the move, so to speak?

See what I mean? Even with disaster at your door, how do you know when it is time, and what do you do? And by the time you figure "now" is the time, someone stronger will have taken you out.
Spoken like someone with absolutely no idea of what prepping or self sufficiency really are.

The government isn't collapsing, the dems are just throwing a temper tantrum. Happens pretty regularly when they don't get their way.
President Trump is still trying to protect our borders, the military is fully intact, we still have power and water, the bums will still get their SNAP cards, not exactly a government collapse if you can't visit the Washington Monument or Yellowstone Park for a week or two.

This feud on the Potomac will continue until one side or the other sees they're loosing popularity in the pols, then there will be a compromise, the fed workers that got a short vacation will get their paychecks, the parks will open and everything will be back to normal.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:

I came on here today to see what anyone had done with our government on the verge of collapse.
Thanks for the good laugh!! That one made my day! Hahahahaaa....

Old 12-21-2018, 06:00 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
When I was twenty I wanted to be the last guy standing over the rest. Now over sixty my wife and I really wonder if the fight to survive would be worth anything? The things going on now it just seems unwinnable if it happens.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:25 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:

Longer term, it is a non starter.
spoken by someone who obviously has no idea about the principles of prepping and survival, and just assumes its not possible.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:19 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Prepping has been a fundamental component of societal survival since ancient times. Your government collapse comment reinforces this without realization. Only in this most modern of history would humans have staked their very survival on an unseen force potentially thousands of miles away and given it any modicum of trust that it would be there for them. That so many have, and as such dropped their own personal and regional duties for survival, is rather alarming to people on this thread.

It is no accident that the ancient civilizations we learn about seemingly had a universal theme of intertwined religious, granary and precursor banking activities. There were certainly other communities....but for some reason they were never around long enough to accomplish much.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
MTSilvertip, Nor'Eastah, bigpaul pretty much nailed it,
and I just want to add:

Even if the government were on the verge of collapse, if I am already prepped (definition of a prepper) and where I want to be, why would I be "on the move" ?

I suspect someone above wants a fight more than info.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
When I was twenty I wanted to be the last guy standing over the rest. Now over sixty my wife and I really wonder if the fight to survive would be worth anything? The things going on now it just seems unwinnable if it happens.
Depends on the definition of "win"

If we get an ice storm (Ozarks are kinda forecasting one, this winter) and we emerge with our families and sense of humor in tact, that is a win.

If the bad guys hack the grid and the US descends into chaos, but my (extended) family continues to be a family for the next few years until Jesus returns (our belief) or until society is restored (not my belief, rest of the family is unsure) then that is a win, even if not all of us survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness