Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 04:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times

Advertisements

Has anybody ever tried an Omeal? It looks like a self-heating MRE. I remember the "heater meals" that were on the market back in the 90's (maybe they still are).

https://omeals.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 02:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
[quote=TRex2;61065635]So, you gave up on freeze dried foods, because you chose poorly?
Most of the FD stuff I've eaten (beginning in 1975) was passable, but chosen for cost and nutrition, rather than taste. Basically, if you were hungry, it was good.

No, it was the cobbler was the last straw. I gave up because I wasn't happy with "passable". I tried just about every meal they had at REI and other backpacking stores. To me, they all were pretty crappy. There seemed to always be that one rock hard carrot in just about every meal.

I'm sure (hopefully) that they have vastly improved in the decades since I last ate one. I just found better tasting alternatives. I used to take those noodle dishes with sauces along with powdered milk. They gave me what I needed to have energy to climb, etc.

To each their own.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:24 PM

Amazon "prime day" has a bunch of freeze dried options. For example the Mountain House $94 "bucket" is about $70 once all the discounts are applied (you have to click the listing to see the discounts, plus an additional 6% 'cash back' if you use their VISA card). A similar bucket was about $85 when I bought one in 2018, so it's even cheaper when adjusted for inflation.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=freeze+dr...f_=as_li_ss_tl

It's only good for "prime day" (currently less than 30 hours left) so if you are reading this a few days after I posted it, the prices will be higher.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:20 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I have a #10 can of chili mac, but I haven't tried it. I also haven't tried the chicken fajitas, and don't have any. Thanks for the recommendation, I will try them both.

I've never heard of the breakfast scramble, maybe the breakfast skillet? I tried some due to it being very highly reviewed. I don't remember it not softening, I just remember that I didn't like it. Though, I'm not a fan of freeze dried eggs, and wouldn't purposely buy them considering that we sell fresh eggs. Sometimes we have so many that we have to feed them to the dogs.

My fault, yes; the skillet. I couldn't get the egg cubes to soften for some reason; perhaps I had an off batch. I did, however; like their chicken fried rice along w/spaghetti and meatballs.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:47 PM

In my experience freeze dried eggs are either slimy or they have too much texture. I don't know what makes them turn out the way they do, I have learned to avoid products that have them.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:54 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,429 times
Mount Hagen Organic Instant Coffee.

Delicious. Not very acidic.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Mount Hagen Organic Instant Coffee.

Delicious. Not very acidic.
I might have to try that. I usually carry tea when out in the sticks. It's dehydrated, doesn't weigh anything, and the English Breakfast Teas have a lot of flavor, and some caffeine for my hot cuppa in the morning.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:13 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,429 times
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Hagen-R...ev=c&hvlocint=

Amazon has about the best price on the single serving packets of Mount Hagen. 2 - 25 count boxes for $ 12.90

Old 07-25-2021, 03:16 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Hagen-R...ev=c&hvlocint=

Amazon has about the best price on the single serving packets of Mount Hagen. 2 - 25 count boxes for $ 12.90
Thanks

Old 07-25-2021, 04:36 PM

I haven't tried that one. The best tasting instant (freeze dried) coffee I've had is Taster's Choice. It's not great but it's better than the others like Folgers.

You can get 1,000 single-serves for about $80 if you use "subscribe and save" for a 15% discount and click the coupon button for an additional 10% discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-Insta...f_=as_li_ss_tl

We grow and process our own coffee, so I don't have a need to stockpile coffee, but the local CVS frequently has smaller boxes of the single serves on sale for a couple bucks and I buy them to keep in car for long drives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness