Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 07:22 AM

156 posts, read 190,167 times

Advertisements

Some people like Bill Holter and Lynette Zang have calculated the true price of Gold to be around $87K by dividing the M2 money supply (total amount of dollars in circulation) by the total amount of Gold (oz) in existence. Supposedly, this would be the price of Gold if we were to go back to a Gold standard. But if that were to happen, what would be the price of Ag? (Silver). Would it be calculated by the Gold/Siver ratio of the 18th & 19th century which I think was 10:1. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 04:10 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,927,227 times
The problem with those numbers is that we're never going back to a "gold standard". Even when we were on the "gold standard" it became fractional after the federal reserve was established. We may return to a monetary system where currency is backed by assets and gold may be one of the assets in the basket, but trying to predict what the price of gold is going to be in a monetary system that hasn't been invented yet is just pure speculation. The other thing to consider is the value of the currency. If inflation causes a loaf of bread to be $10, then the price of gold will go up commensurately. This is more a function of the depreciating value of the currency. That is why people buy PMs as an inflation hedge.

As far as your question, I have heard repeatedly the traditional ratio was that gold costs 15 times as much as silver, but one must understand that the "price" of a precious metal is determined in a fake futures market. That is why the "spot" price of silver is about $15 but you can't actually buy it for less than $20.

The other reason why the silver/gold ratio may never return to it's 15:1 is because the nature of the commodities. Most of the gold ever mined still exists. Something like 98% of it, even the stuff mined thousands of years ago. Almost all the silver that has been mined has been consumed because it's an industrial commodity. The price of gold is based on it's rarity and perceived value. The price of silver is more correlated to what it costs to pull it out of the ground, however if people perceive it's value as being higher than that the market will set the price. It's traded for over $50/ounce before (much higher when adjusted for inflation) so there is no reason to believe it can't go over $100/ounce.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:23 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,224,575 times
Things would have to get pretty bad for people to pay 4k for gold and $80 for silver... and even then -- who is going to buy it and what does it get you? Politicians will not give up fiat currencies unless forced to because they can't give stuff away and send out checks. The people promoting gold and silver (and bitcoin) have it and want it to go up.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:36 PM

A week ago most people wouldn't have believed a barrel of oil cost -$40/barrel. But it did. I don't think 4k for gold or $80 for silver is out of the question. Silver sold for nearly $120/ounce (adjusted for inflation) in 1980. I remember that was when a lot of households sold their inherited silverware and bought "flatware". Now silverware is nearly impossible to find.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:11 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,315,035 times
These types of articles have been around forever. I suggest ignoring them. Only the rich buy gold, and millennials don't care about them seeing them as outdated relics. I buy platinum because it actually has industrial use and it's relatively under-priced compared to palladium and rhodium.

That said it's smart to have hard assets and be invested in gold miners because the people who run the fed and government could end up destroying the US dollar in their attempts to inflate.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:10 PM

“Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves.”

― Norm Franz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness