Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 09:09 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,605,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Nearly every state has an Amish community prospering in it.
Noticed them most prevalent in the lower Midwest states, especially MO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 09:58 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Noticed them most prevalent in the lower Midwest states, especially MO.
In the last twenty years a lot of Anabaptists have migrated to Maine, forming new communities here.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Alaska heartless brutal and if mistake prone fatal but off grid and simple

Old 12-07-2020, 07:32 PM

261 posts, read 189,589 times
More and more men are headed out to the north west. South Dakota is an income tax free state.
For the most part, west of the Mississippi River has more to offer for off grid and "liberty" than east of it.

This view of the USA taken after dark from a satellite is probably the best way of finding areas with elbow room.

I'm sure you could find some cheap land in a market where you could make a living with your skills.

You may even want to look into those "earthship" type of houses and living in a trailer while you slowly
put one of them together as they are designed from top to bottom for "off grid".

Earthship 101 Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jdIm7grCY

Old 01-07-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
... It has a longer growing season.
I have often heard people stand on the claim that they need a longer growing season.

Is there any specific crop that you want to grow that needs those additional few days to grow?

I find that for most crops there are varieties that require fewer days to harvest.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:38 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
On Tennesee: I spent some time in Monteagle and thought it was nice. Locals were friendly. Monteagle is a town in Franklin, Grundy, and Marion counties. Its not terribly far from Atlanta - 161 miles. Its 46.1 miles from Chattanooga, and 90 miles from Chattahoochee National Forest, and its adjacent Cherokee National Forest and Nantahala National Forest, and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. 176 miles from Fontana Village Resort and Marina. Its beautiful country.

One thing about Tennesee, its part of Dixie Alley.

Tennessee averages 18 tornados per year, resulting in an average of 5 fatalities. Counties in a high risk tornado area include Lincoln County, TN, Davidson County, TN and Franklin County, TN. The largest tornado on record occurred on 04/16/1998, measuring a 5 on the Fujita-Pearson scale.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:26 PM

I live in USDA zones 4/5.

My biggest crop is apples, followed by blueberries, and then maple and fiddleheads.

Though I also do pretty good with my figs and green tea. A neighbor grows peaches.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:32 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post
This view of the USA taken after dark from a satellite is probably the best way of finding areas with elbow room.
What a great idea! Just looked at a nighttime satellite view. Interesting and beautiful!

Old 01-07-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
What a great idea! Just looked at a nighttime satellite view. Interesting and beautiful!
That is a good view. My area is completely black.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donttreadonthebears View Post
Wild blueberries is about the only thing I miss about the North.
Wild varieties of Vaccinium Cyanococcus are much smaller and tend to have a slightly stronger flavor.

I grow highbush varieties.

Quote:
... I really enjoy fresh figs, but here in New England they can be difficult to grow because of the long, cold winters. To combat the deep-freeze time of year, New Englanders often dig their fig trees up each fall, wrap them in burlap, and bury them in a trench covered with mulch for the winter.
I am very active with MOFGA [Maine Organic Farmers / Gardeners Assoc] MOFGA Programs. They originated 'Certified Organic' in 1970 and have led the formation of organic principles decades before the USDA got into with NOP.

I have never heard of anyone digging up figs. In zones 4/5 figs are no longer a 'tree' like they would be in California where I grew up. Here everything above grade dies off, yet the crown survives. Next Spring a new shoot will come up from the crown just like asparagus grows. Each new shoot will typically produce up to 20 fruit. We can grow them in rows a foot apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness