Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 10:25 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times

Advertisements

Marriage to the correct person is wonderful. I waited, dated, and found the best man for me. Life became easier. He helped with everything but cooking and cleaning the toilet. He tried to cook, but we decided that it would be best left to me.

Getting sick? Lots easier to get well if there is someone there to help you.

Cornering chickens for slaughter? Definitely easier.

Preparing a garden, harvesting from the garden? Definitely easier.

Truthfully speaking I would probably have remarried, or tried to, had it not been for my daughter and her wonderful husband.

She also waited until she got the best pick! My son-in-law steps in to do many of the tasks my husband did.

He is not so good a cornering chickens tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 10:35 AM

21,895 posts, read 12,991,949 times
On the other hand...it's amazing how you find ways to do things on your own when you have no other choice!

Old 12-14-2020, 09:31 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
You get to keep all of your stuff.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:06 PM

3,465 posts, read 2,796,509 times
I get lonely sometimes. But I made the choice long ago to remain single. I realized that being a husband and father was impossible. I simply lack the instincts to make it work. Just like the lack of instincts to get along with coworkers doomed my chances at having a career. Most likely, I have some sort of autism spectrum disorder.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Maybe a sign of the times but I can rattle off a dozen names of men/women that have never been happier being single again...

So it's definitely a mixed bag...

Old 12-14-2020, 09:38 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
I'm divorced, I was only married for a few years before we both realized we rushed into the damn thing. Being single again companionship is not an issue for me, I can get on a plane and find 10x women in any country looking for a foreigner. I can swipe all day on dating apps and find someone to date overseas (I travel routinely).

My issue is that I may want to have kids one day, with or without marriage. So I have to accept the fact that even if I find another long term partner one day and get kids, I don't necessarily want to be married. And it's not easy to tell someone that.

Having no kids and only being married for a few years has been a blessing, but accepting that one day I may want to have them is tough because again, I don't plan to be married.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:07 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
I am approaching my mid-30s and never even kissed a romantic partner. Mostly due to fears that a relationship would interfere with school or career options that require relocation. I think I might start dating in a few years but will be very “ inexperienced” compared to most in the age group. If I had to give you a number, I would say there is a 40% chance of me ever getting married. I won’t pursue a long term relationship unless the person is truly uniquely worth it, enough to compensate for the downsides and risks of getting extra people involved in one’s life.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:34 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,581,607 times
I'm single and have never wanted to be married or have children. I can honestly say it never occurred to me. Theoretically I suppose I still could (I have nothing against it) but realistically it won't happen, and as that is how I've lived my life, it doesn't bother me at all. Getting married is just something that other people do.

I agree there is a "self-sufficiency" aspect to the OP's question. Not being partnered or having children, I have very different considerations for later in life than most other people do. For instance, if I want to go into old age and death with any dignity, I'm going to need funds, especially at end of life I'll need to possibly have funds for a caregiver or to go into a hospice. I'm currently involved in looking after aging relatives, and I've dealt with having relatives die, and usually family members have to help out with all that. I'm the youngest in my family and very likely to be the last one left. I won't have any family left to care for me. This doesn't frighten me as it's a reality I've lived with all my life. I've been lucky enough to have been able to get a good start on financially preparing for that eventuality. I haven't done all the legal stuff I will need to arrange, however.

It's sobering to think that there are some women out there who would do anything not to "end up" single like me, even to the point of staying with abusive husbands or boyfriends. The idea that I'm living the life that they fear... just really blows my mind sometimes...

I am actually into a (modest) level of self-sufficiency preparedness - I camp, hike, etc and am interested in learning more basic skills because I think everyone should know them. I've camped alone in campgrounds full of RVs and families, and I still really enjoy being by myself to be honest! (I've also been camping with others, it's a different kind of fun.)

Old 12-26-2020, 11:04 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times
was married 3yrs to army girl late 80s. both us too young & in less than 3yrs divorced. dated only since. longterm, short term, etc. but best to find partner somewaht on board & compatilble -- w/ ur goals, ideals, etc.

not easy but then nothin worth having comes easy...

Old 12-27-2020, 06:56 AM

21,895 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I am approaching my mid-30s and never even kissed a romantic partner. Mostly due to fears that a relationship would interfere with school or career options that require relocation. I think I might start dating in a few years but will be very “ inexperienced” compared to most in the age group. If I had to give you a number, I would say there is a 40% chance of me ever getting married. I won’t pursue a long term relationship unless the person is truly uniquely worth it, enough to compensate for the downsides and risks of getting extra people involved in one’s life.
May I ask what your career is? You sound very dedicated to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness