Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2023, 11:52 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times

Advertisements

Bees are vital pollinators and any homesteader knows its important not to harm them. If somebody in your household is allergic to bees you already know what to have on hand in case they get stung. But is there something else you should have on hand? Maybe to prevent getting stung in the first place?

I found out today: Yes. Bitter Almond oil and a small sprayer to disperse it.

We had honey bees swarming our house today. This has happened before but they have always moved on. But today their numbers just kept growing and we could see them going through the vents and into the attic. We have a person and a dog in the household that are allergic to bees so it quickly became an issue when despite our window screens etc, some bees were getting inside the house.

A friend of ours is a beekeeper, and is allergic to bees (yeah I know, a strange combination) and a few years ago gave us a small sprayer of bitter almond oil and told us if bees were a problem, spritz that a few times around the area you don't want them and they would disappear.

Holy chit this stuff works! A couple of spritzes around the house exterior and the bees immediately left. No dead bees, no insecticides, nothing but a really strong amaretto type smell and the bees disappeared like magic. The amazing part was not just how well and fast it worked, it was the tiny amount required. The spritzes were no more than what would come out of a cologne or perfume bottle.

I don't know what the shelf life of bitter almond oil is, but my best guestimate is that she gave this to us at least 3 years ago and it's obviously still very effective.

Warning: do not use around people with nut allergies. Also, avoid getting it on your skin (bitter almond oil is not the same kind of almond oil people eat and sometimes used in skin products). Do not inhale, eat, or drink.

Last edited by terracore; 06-10-2023 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 06:23 AM

9,474 posts, read 5,250,459 times
I'd get up in that attic and 'bee-tight' it so they can't get in in the future. I can't speak to bitter almond oil.

If people in the household have allergies, I also assume you have Epi-pens on hand. Very important.

Old 06-10-2023, 09:31 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times
There is a lot of confusion about bitter almond. This link and some of its responses are the most accurate I've found.

https://www.alcademics.com/2016/07/t...uit-seeds.html

As you can tell, I am curious if the beekeeper had made or had a source to the complete bitter almond, or had a commercially produced (and cyanide-free) bitter almond oil. If it was the complete oil, it would in fact be an insecticide. Or... it is possible the bees have an inherent genetic aversion to the smell of the oil.

Old 06-11-2023, 03:04 PM

Next time I see her I'll try to remember to ask what the specific product is.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:56 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,555,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
As you can tell, I am curious if the beekeeper had made or had a source to the complete bitter almond, or had a commercially produced (and cyanide-free) bitter almond oil. If it was the complete oil, it would in fact be an insecticide. Or... it is possible the bees have an inherent genetic aversion to the smell of the oil.
It's the smell. Tea tree also works. I don't use bitter almond with my bees but have friends who swear by it.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:55 PM

That makes sense. Humans have a pretty clumsy sense of smell. Bees can smell subtle things from miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness