Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 08:17 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Cholera will kill a significant number of city people.
\
... Back home today - Some US residents have well water instead of city water. Well water requires electricity to pump the water. If you lose electricity, you can't flush the toilets.
I think that most people of the 'Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness' have backup systems in place to access well water. Like a handpump. I prefer the Bison handpump

https://www.bisonpumps.com/products/...l-pump-system/

Quote:
... Even city water will be contaminated.
Yes, as with all other scenarios of SHTF the urbanites will have huge problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2023, 08:31 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Cholera will kill a significant number of people.

As an historical fact - When the US bombed Iraqi during the Gulf War (1991), we damaged 13 of Iraq's 20 power-generating plants were incapacitated or destroyed and the sewage-treatment systems went off line. The result was of 500,000 excess deaths among young children.*

Back home today - Some US residents have well water instead of city water. Well water requires electricity to pump the water. If you lose electricity, you can't flush the toilets. You'll need a gallon of water to push the toilet contains down. At the same time, the sewer treatment plants will fail. Even city water will be contaminated.

So yeah, many people will die from cholera. Sorry, TamaraSavannah! We are doomed. Maybe a private lake?

On a another note:

Britain's weather beats US weather. In a global meltdown, UK is a far better climate. I imagine it's easier to live without electricity in the UK (excluding water issues).

I'm in Tidewater, Virginia in the historic triangle of Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg. Jamestown was the first settlement in the US. It's humid and hot here so English compared my weather to Caribbean's weather. When Englishmen came, they were advised to dress for tropics in summer.

When I lived in Austin, everyone said the heat was a dry heat. It would be a dry 110 degrees F so it only felt like 95 degrees F! Well, then! So much better than a southern humid heat? Idk. Either way, it's awful!

*https://www.theguardian.com/theguard...kend7.weekend9
you are right its easier to live in Britain without electricity in our milder climate, the Gulf Stream sees to that.
urban living post SHTF will be a problem, but thats mostly down to numbers. hygiene will be a problem and cholera will only be one of the diseases that will decimate the population post SHTF.

Last edited by bigpaul; 04-21-2023 at 08:41 AM..

Old 04-21-2023, 09:20 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
It is possible to live without electricity of any kind, I know, I have done it.
most modern people though will be unable to function without their gadgets and technology, you have to be a certain type to not only live without these things but to enjoy that type of lifestyle. therefore if any event shuts of the power grid permanently the population numbers will reduce to a much lower level.
Or the opposite!

Making babies could still be the only pleasure and entertainment left in the absence of mindless SM and “chewing gum” like shows …

In the future it could be handy to have these all extra people to achieve the tasks of hunting, gathering, agriculture, husbandry, taking care of the young and the old, security, etc.

Bet the population would grow- sustainably of course

Old 04-21-2023, 09:35 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Or the opposite!

Making babies could still be the only pleasure and entertainment left in the absence of mindless SM and “chewing gum” like shows …

In the future it could be handy to have these all extra people to achieve the tasks of hunting, gathering, agriculture, husbandry, taking care of the young and the old, security, etc.

Bet the population would grow- sustainably of course
nice thought but illogical.
deaths of babies and mothers due to complications in child birth would occur, medical care would be minimal due to lack of critical medicines and equipment caused by...guess! no electricity!!!
populations will rise or fall on how good or bad the annual harvest is, no point in having babies if you cant feed them.

Last edited by bigpaul; 04-21-2023 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-21-2023, 01:20 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
If you have flowing water you can use water power for a few things. Water wheels will power belts which will drive a few types of machinery like grain mills and looms for weaving. Water wheels aren't portable and they only power things that need to be turned, but they can be used for some jobs.

A lot of farm machinery can be powered by turning wheels. If you happen to have the equipment, wheels will power grain drills, mowers, all manner of clever and complicated horse drawn farm implements. Of course, to turn the wheels you have to move them which is usually done with horses or oxen, but small equipment can be moved by human muscle power. Some wheels can be moved by wind such as windmills and there are jobs that windmills can do like pump water and grind grain.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
... Water wheels aren't portable and they only power things that need to be turned, but they can be used for some jobs.
Like generating electricity.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:06 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
nice thought but illogical.
deaths of babies and mothers due to complications in child birth would occur, medical care would be minimal due to lack of critical medicines and equipment caused by...guess! no electricity!!!
populations will rise or fall on how good or bad the annual harvest is, no point in having babies if you cant feed them.

You seem under the impression the skies will fall.

What we are talking about was done everywhere on the globe for thousands of years by a variety of people in all geographic areas
Look up when the electricity was invented..

Tell that to people in some countries who are right now living without any electricity due to not having it or due to not able to afford it.
They have some of the highest birth rates in the world.

As life shows us in developed countries the birth rates go hand in hand with the education level of women - the more educated the women overall - the lower the birth rates for a variety of socioeconomic reasons.

Nothing to do with the electricity

My claim is that electricity is non-essential to survival. It is just one of those “nice to have”.
Obviously to everyone we won’t be able to maintain a lot of things we are used to, but the determined will survive and perhaps eventually thrive?

We know more of hygiene now compare to our predecessors: washing hands, boiling water, other similar things will somewhat moderate the deaths due to cholera, dysentery, etc.

Maybe finally huge population of felines would learn to hunt rodents and help us out - those ones who could survive alongside us without “pets” food.

We wouldn’t be able to do brain surgeries and other high tech undertakings - so people would be on their own
Even catastrophic loss of life due to whatever events perhaps let some niche survivals- hopefully those will be people like you who could live without electricity and other conveniences.

Some in the first generation of survivors would prefer to rather die; however the next generations will adapt: we are just programmed like that, it is in our genetic code- survival

Last edited by L00k4ward; 04-21-2023 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-21-2023, 02:26 PM

Historically infant deaths ran at a constant percentage across all cultures, [I think it was around 25%] Now days with modern medical care we have nearly eliminated infant and childhood deaths, each person who would have died in infancy can now live to adulthood and breed.

One generation later, 25% of breeding adults are people who themselves would have died without modern medical care.

Today I bet that at least 50% of our adult population are people whose genetics are such that they would have died if they had been born a century ago.

We live in a society where greater than half of all breeding adults carry genes that would have prevented them from surviving childhood [without modern medical care].

If we ever lose access to modern medical care the infant death rate will be significantly higher than the original 25%.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:42 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Linked below is an example of the most "successful" steam-powered vehicle of which I'm aware:

https://www.trains.com/trn/railroads...e-electricity/

There was, in fact, an enterprise (Pyle National) which specialized in the production of electrical systems for steam locomotives,

But if some latter-day luddite wants to hang an oil-fired headlight on his Stanley Steamer, I won't try to dissuade him.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-21-2023 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-21-2023, 04:43 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We live in a society where greater than half of all breeding adults carry genes that would have prevented them from surviving childhood [without modern medical care].

If we ever lose access to modern medical care the infant death rate will be significantly higher than the original 25%.

Too true!

I was bedridden for 4 1/2 months with placenta previa. Literally, I would have bleed to death without a c-section. As if that wasn't bad enough, my child's umbilical cord was wrapped three times around her neck. She would have died without a c-section anyway.

I read a magazine article that stated all the rare complication in pregnancy that have a roughly 5% chance of occurring in pregnancy. However, if you add all the rare complication together, its like 50% or more of all pregnancies have a complication.

My cousin had an ectopic pregnancy which burst her fallopian tube resulting in life threatening bleeding. Another cousin's bladder was damaged during delivery which became a life threatening situation. A friend had life threatening high blood pressure. Don't even get me started of the damages with/without episiotomies.

Before modern medicine, men to died in war and women died in birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness