Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2024, 08:29 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times

Advertisements

The story is second only to the superb comments following.
https://www.metafilter.com/202877/Qu...or-The-Big-One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 12:32 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The story is second only to the superb comments following.
https://www.metafilter.com/202877/Qu...or-The-Big-One
Article at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/billionaire-...sday-1.7130152

Old 03-13-2024, 03:36 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
That was a VERY interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-15-2024, 11:17 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
A lot of the narrative of that article shows the current builders of bunkers don't really understand the concept of survival. Some of what Garrett says near the end, about community is correct.

A bunker can be used for long term storage, or short term survival, but you can't just lock yourself away and hope for a good outcome. (Blast from the past was a comedy movie, not a useful life plan.)

The one person I have read about who "lived in a bomb shelter for several years" did not stay in it 24/7. She came and went. It was her home, but she went to school, market and other places, from time to time. It's just that she grew up in a war zone. But, even in a war zone, there are quiet days. You just don't know, ahead of time, which ones will be quiet.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:49 PM

My mom grew up in Germany during WWII and spent time in a family bomb shelter. Her village was sometimes a site of active ground combat so it wasn't so much for bombs as for artillery, bullets, hiding from allied forces, etc. It was also a way to hide from the German military, because they would take whatever they needed and that included staying in their home. The shelter was crude and not really stocked because there wasn't anything left to put in there. All the adult males had been drafted or were deceased so it was just her mom and siblings. I think she said the longest they stayed in there in a single stay was about 10 days. She also commented that she never saw her mom eat when they stayed in there because there was never enough food for all of them.

She recalled a time when there was an hour-long ceasefire every day. Her mom would look for livestock and tend to them as much as she could and the kids would get daylight and fresh air. And then quickly back into the bunker before the fighting started again. Malnutrition, lack of hygiene and clean water, and no access to medical care of any kind took its toll and the kids barely got over one illness before getting even more sick with something else. They all survived, but "the fevers" (scarlet, rheumatic, etc) left them all with permanently damaged hearts, lungs, and joints.

So any of these billionaire shelters would certainly be an upgrade. But what will they be sheltering from? Nuclear fallout? Mobs of people from the cities? I'm not sure their survival rate will be as good as my mom's, even though they might enjoy caviar and champagne at the beginning of it.

Old 03-16-2024, 05:03 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
I would rather have sausage & bier, mit brotchen, or wiener schneitzel.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:44 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
A "smart" billionaire would be building fortified villages all around. The idea of helping folks acquire inexpensive, frugal and resilient shelter will build a community grateful to the benefactor - who would have a modest apartment on reservation in each village. Having multiple ports of security is superior than having just one opulent rat hole.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A "smart" billionaire would be building fortified villages all around. The idea of helping folks acquire inexpensive, frugal and resilient shelter will build a community grateful to the benefactor - who would have a modest apartment on reservation in each village. Having multiple ports of security is superior than having just one opulent rat hole.
A few years ago I was watching an interview, I forgot who the speaker was, but he was recounting his experiencing doing a "Ted Talk" type thing to a bunch of billionaires, most of which had some sort of bug out plan or strategy in place if they thought the world was coming to an end. All of them had body guards / private security etc. None of them were prepared for what he told them: Whatever they envisioned that was bad enough they would head to their bunkers or wherever, they probably couldn't count on their hired guns. "Why?" They wondered. Well first off, if the world as you knew it was over, you would have nothing to offer them. Fiat would be one of the first things to go, and your hired guns have no loyalty to you. They are going to go home and care for their families. No amount of money is going to change that, because your money is going to be worthless. So think about that. If you want a private army and money is worthless, how are you going to buy their loyalty?

I'm guessing Mark Suckaturd was there since he suddenly dedicated all his personal time to learning MMA.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:55 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
A few years ago I was watching an interview, I forgot who the speaker was, but he was recounting his experiencing doing a "Ted Talk" type thing to a bunch of billionaires, most of which had some sort of bug out plan or strategy in place if they thought the world was coming to an end. All of them had body guards / private security etc. None of them were prepared for what he told them: Whatever they envisioned that was bad enough they would head to their bunkers or wherever, they probably couldn't count on their hired guns. "Why?" They wondered. Well first off, if the world as you knew it was over, you would have nothing to offer them. Fiat would be one of the first things to go, and your hired guns have no loyalty to you. They are going to go home and care for their families. No amount of money is going to change that, because your money is going to be worthless. So think about that. If you want a private army and money is worthless, how are you going to buy their loyalty?

I'm guessing Mark Suckaturd was there since he suddenly dedicated all his personal time to learning MMA.
Prime example of money madness -"buying loyalty."
Generations have been indoctrinated to "seek money" and not generate prosperity. . . as in the prodigious production of surplus usable goods and services, equitably traded and enjoyed.
When money is worthless because the marketplace is bare - or obliterated - those who have a surplus and are willing trade it can "do business."
Which goes back to the suggestion to sponsor multiple mixed use fortified villages, providing the opportunity for inexpensive and secure shelter, a useful service indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness