Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 04:59 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,275,428 times

Advertisements

Another hurricane season that I am preparing for even tho I no longer live in hurricane territory. I asked my son-in-law if he is ready, got enough supplies to survive another Katrina. He said they are going to go to a hotel. He said they have the names of hotels that accept pets. I asked him how much they charged. He hadn't checked on that.

My daughter told me privately that she is buying long-life foods a few at a time to get ready.

I am preparing for them to come here.

I just can't get through to my son-in-law even tho he also went thru Katrina. He just assumes that they will make it thru.

SIGH

Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 08:09 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
You said that you're no longer living in hurricane territory, so don't worry. Except the usual stuff in a pantry, maybe extra water ,TP(!!) , and batteries - you are good to go.
Your son has a Plan B. He will be OK, or learn his lesson.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:28 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Another hurricane season that I am preparing for even tho I no longer live in hurricane territory. I asked my son-in-law if he is ready, got enough supplies to survive another Katrina. He said they are going to go to a hotel. He said they have the names of hotels that accept pets. I asked him how much they charged. He hadn't checked on that.
My daughter told me privately that she is buying long-life foods a few at a time to get ready.
I just can't get through to my son-in-law even tho he also went thru Katrina. He just assumes that they will make it thru.
SIGH
Not with hurricanes.

But Covid19: I think most people learned exactly the wrong lesson.

Now people just assume everyone will get through it, just fine, as long as they do whatever the government tells them to do.

And those crazy hoarders (what they call preppers) caused the shortages, by not sharing what they had.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:50 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

And those crazy hoarders (what they call preppers) caused the shortages, by not sharing what they had.
those with the food paid for it out of their own money, are the ones who want to share going to repay them? no, thought not.
there were no shortages when the preppers brought the food, they didnt cause the shortages, the shortages were caused by other people panic buying.

Last edited by bigpaul; 04-07-2024 at 04:38 AM..

Old 04-07-2024, 04:43 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
[quote=Countrysue;6661631)

SIGH

Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

The Ants often can't get thru to the Grasshopers. Noah didn't try to save everybody.

Old 04-07-2024, 06:39 AM

you just cant make sheeple understand, they either think "it'll never happen" or " the govt will save us", neither of which is true, I even have it myself with in laws and extended family but luckily none of them are local, so if they dont survive and they wont its no skin off my nose.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:40 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
those with the food paid for it out of their own money, are the ones who want to share going to repay them? no, thought not.
there were no shortages when the preppers brought the food, they didnt cause the shortages, the shortages were caused by other people panic buying.
You and I understand that, but that is part of what I meant,
when I said:
Quote:
I think most people learned exactly the wrong lesson.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:33 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Friends will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times with no friends. And good friends help move the [redacted].

Old 04-07-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You and I understand that, but that is part of what I meant,
when I said:
thats if they learned anything at all, which I doubt.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:47 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

SIGH

Yes, welcome to my life! It's my husband.

It's a processing issue much like like color blindness. A part of the brain which perceives color or crises doesn't work.

My husband knew we were all prepared for covid. Never worries about toilet paper, paper towels or anything else. I sent care packages to my kids. In particular, to my son in DC (Tenleytown) where there were shortages. If you asked my husband, he would swear it was a one time deal. Never to happen again.

He's almost seventy years old, it's not like he's going to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness