Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
You can't survive on your own? Wow, that's pretty bad. Who can't grow their own food? Who can't cook on a fire? Who can't boil water to purify it? Shelter would be the only variable, but even primitive shelter is a viable option unless there are harsh winters to deal with - at which point you'd get on your feet and head to warmer climates.

I don't know about you, I could survive on my own if the absolute worst scenario dictated that I do so.
Who can't grow their own food?

Those that have no seed...those that have to start a plot of land from scratch...those that loose their plants to wild animals....those who have no way to store the food...those who are starving and can't wait until the food is ready to eat...

Who can't cook on a fire?....lots of people...those who don't want their fire seen...those that don't have matches....those who don't know how....

Will you be able to find water to boil? Will you have a pot?

Will they be able to kill, skin, butcher an animal and use all it's parts for survival? Will they know how to preserve the meat? Will they know how to tan hides or sew them together for clothes? What will they do without needles and thread?

""""Shelter would be the only variable, but even primitive shelter is a viable option unless there are harsh winters to deal with - at which point you'd get on your feet and head to warmer climates. """

Yes, packing up and carrying all your possesions and food supllies on your back? How far can you walk? How safe will you be? Will you find your "home" still there when you return? If everyone heads for a warmer climate how will they interact? Will the people who are already there welcome strangers???

Gosh, sounds like fun but I'll gladly pass.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
SAN DIEGO – Six months ago, Jim Wiseman didn't even have a spare nutrition bar in his kitchen cabinet.

Now, the 54-year-old businessman and father of five has a backup generator, a water filter, a grain mill and a 4-foot-tall pile of emergency food tucked in his home in the expensive San Diego suburb of La Jolla.

Wiseman isn't alone. Emergency supply retailers and military surplus stores nationwide have seen business boom in the past few months as an increasing number of Americans spooked by the economy rush to stock up on gear that was once the domain of hardcore survivalists.
"There's so many people who are concerned about the economy that there's a huge interest in preparedness, and it pretty much crosses all lines, social, economic, political and religious," he said. "There's a steep learning curve going on right now."

Art Markman, a cognitive psychologist, said he's not surprised by the reaction to the nation's financial woes — even though it may seem irrational. In an increasingly global and automated society, most people are dependent on strangers and systems they don't understand — and the human brain isn't programmed to work that way.
"I don't want to be a slave to anybody," he said. "The more systems you're dependent on, the more likely things are going to go bad for you."
Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090525/ap_on_re_us/us_economic_survivalists - broken link)

Quote of the YEAR in bold!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM

519 posts, read 688,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Who can't grow their own food?

Those that have no seed...those that have to start a plot of land from scratch...those that loose their plants to wild animals....those who have no way to store the food...those who are starving and can't wait until the food is ready to eat...

Who can't cook on a fire?....lots of people...those who don't want their fire seen...those that don't have matches....those who don't know how....

Will you be able to find water to boil? Will you have a pot?

Will they be able to kill, skin, butcher an animal and use all it's parts for survival? Will they know how to preserve the meat? Will they know how to tan hides or sew them together for clothes? What will they do without needles and thread?

""""Shelter would be the only variable, but even primitive shelter is a viable option unless there are harsh winters to deal with - at which point you'd get on your feet and head to warmer climates. """

Yes, packing up and carrying all your possesions and food supllies on your back? How far can you walk? How safe will you be? Will you find your "home" still there when you return? If everyone heads for a warmer climate how will they interact? Will the people who are already there welcome strangers???

Gosh, sounds like fun but I'll gladly pass.....
LOL I didn't say it would be cozy or easy, but I could do it, and I think you could to if it came down to it.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
LOL I didn't say it would be cozy or easy, but I could do it, and I think you could to if it came down to it.
Sure I could ....with indoor plumbing, Ace Hardware/liquor store nearby, horses that don't need feed, a large tractor, a snowmobile(neither of which need gas), a laundry service and , of course, gardeners....oh, and a library .....and the Internet...that's all....I can rough it with the best!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
It's testament to the damage caused by the Bush Administration that people now think like this. But they should, and they should also remember that half of voting age Americans (who bothered to actually vote) votedfor this situation to now present itself when they voted Bush/Cheney in 2004.

Perhaps that's the real natural disaster, the ignorance of half of voting age Americans who actually vote (for President, not American Idol)

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM

558 posts, read 818,986 times
Quote:
Sounds like the consensus is that , for good or evil, there is more power, more chance of survival in groups.....

kinda like

U N I O N S
Yes, kinda like unions, any group may do good or it may do bad.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Yes, kinda like unions, any group may do good or it may do bad.
Yup. """there is more power, more chance of survival in groups.....""

Any group:

Unions

Religions

Investment bankers

Wall Street Welfare Queens

Lobbyists

People who have Universal Health Care

Boards of Directors

Unions

Soldiers

Survivalists

Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Yup. """there is more power, more chance of survival in groups.....""

Any group:

Unions

Religions

Investment bankers

Wall Street Welfare Queens

Lobbyists

People who have Universal Health Care

Boards of Directors

Unions

Soldiers

Survivalists

Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
SAN DIEGO – Six months ago, Jim Wiseman didn't even have a spare nutrition bar in his kitchen cabinet.

Now, the 54-year-old businessman and father of five has a backup generator, a water filter, a grain mill and a 4-foot-tall pile of emergency food tucked in his home in the expensive San Diego suburb of La Jolla.
Ah, a "Wise Ant" who has saved up a storehouse, for the "bad winter".

Let's hope the "Gestapo Grasshoppers" don't find it and take it from him.

http://www.shtfmilitia.com/

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Are there novels about this sort of survival? Such a fascinating topic.

I can think of two apocalyptic books, though they're both post-nuke stories: The Road by Cormac McCarthy (soon to be a major MP) and an older and far far better book, Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban. But none on "just" social collapse come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness