Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 12:22 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Yesterday Russia invaded and started bombing. On the news, they were showing people crowded into the markets stocking up on supplies.

Sigh. I guess that is just human nature, to wait until too late to make plans.

You'd think with Russia parked on the border and just a few miles away, everyone would already have at least their staples piled up under the bed and ready for the day when there are no supplies in the market. But no. Don't stock up until the bombs have been falling for a couple of hours already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 12:51 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yesterday Russia invaded and started bombing. On the news, they were showing people crowded into the markets stocking up on supplies.

You'd think with Russia parked on the border and just a few miles away, everyone would already have at least their staples piled up under the bed and ready for the day when there are no supplies in the market. But no. Don't stock up until the bombs have been falling for a couple of hours already.
Well, maybe those are the pictures of the people who didn't stock.....and not of those who did. OR, perhaps it is of the people who did stock......but they want to camouflage to anyone watching that they don't have a stash elsewhere.

In any event, I got into lentils because of "Tracks" by Robyn Davidson (camel lady across the Aussie Outback). There is another story about lentils where a Soviet Mom (or was it grams?) from WW II told her daughter to stock food but her daughter had faith in the Soviet economy. Mom/Grams secretly planted a stock of lentils in their apartment. The Soviet Union fell, there was no food in the stores, Mom/Grams told the daughter of the secret stash, they were able to eat until the stores had food again.

In regards to my own stocks, eat from the fridge as much as possible for if the power goes out, then use the can stocks.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:58 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,276,136 times
I am stocked up for the disasters we normally face where I live. I am curious, what extra things are being stocked by my City-Data friends that are not usually stocked?

I am anticipating an increase in food prices since we import fertilizer from Russia. Russia is a major exporter of urea, NKS and ammonium nitrate. It is also the third largest exporter of potash. We can get these from others countries, but at what cost?

My mother talked about the rationing during World War II. She would get ham and bacon from relatives in the country in exchange for sugar and coffee. She would then go to the black market and exchange the bacon for eggs, butter, soap and nylon hose.

As an aside, I was told that whole sweet potatoes would freeze nicely. Tried it. Put an uncooked, unwrapped sweet potato in the freezer and left it there for several months. Thawed it out last week and baked it. Not bad. A little sweeter than fresh, but quite edible.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:01 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
[quote=oregonwoodsmoke;62970774]

But, that's what government is for; surely they have a plan.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Water/filtration is high on my list.

I think a conventional war is far fetched, however additional cyber attacks is a real possibility. Our water system is at risk and clean water could be hard to come by.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:15 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,276,136 times
As someone who has lived thru several disasters where there was government 'aid', it is my experience that the government plan was what was best for the government, not us poor fools.

The Hurricane Katrina plan failed because the basic assumptions were faulty. That is the problem with government plans. They are not always practical. The locals knew what hazards would be faced, but we were not consulted.

I have begun to believe that the more perfect the plan looks, the more likely that it will turn in a cluster f*** in a real disaster.

1200RT what filter do you use? I have a standard filter from good old Walmart!

Old 02-25-2022, 05:33 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I am stocked up for the disasters we normally face where I live. I am curious, what extra things are being stocked by my City-Data friends that are not usually stocked?
Depends on what you mean by "not usually stocked." If you mean, not usually stocked by normies, then pretty much everything

I stock the canned versions of most of what I usually eat fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
As someone who has lived thru several disasters where there was government 'aid', it is my experience that the government plan was what was best for the government, not us poor fools.

The Hurricane Katrina plan failed because the basic assumptions were faulty. That is the problem with government plans. They are not always practical. The locals knew what hazards would be faced, but we were not consulted.
I would be interested in finding out more about the faults in those basic assumptions: any suggestions?

Quote:
I have begun to believe that the more perfect the plan looks, the more likely that it will turn in a cluster f*** in a real disaster.
Everyone should be taught that a plan is a measuring point. It is what you deviate from, and can point too, as a reference. (We are 70% of the way, and 200 meters to the Left of the planned route)

Quote:
1200RT what filter do you use? I have a standard filter from good old Walmart!
I have 1000 coffee filters plans for a small settling tank and a couple low cost ceramic dome filters. For drinking, or any other critical use, I will treat the filtered water. Or, just used it filtered for everything else.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:55 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Today I heard that if Russia decides it needs to attack the USA they have a "hurricane strategy". After observing the burning and looting that happens in our country after every minor inconvenience or perceived injustice, their plan is to use cyberattacks and maybe some sleeper agents to cut power, communication, and other basic infrastructure and watch as we destroy ourselves, maybe front loaded with some false flag racial events.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:30 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Good grief...Russia is not going to attack the USA.

Putin is laughing at how demented and incompetent the Brandon administration is. Looked like good timing for the Russkies to take Ukraine back! Can't let an opportunity like this go to waste! But there are zero plans to attack a country halfway around the globe. We don't have anything he wants anyway.

Putin's just feeling his oats in his own backyard.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:41 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
"Good grief...Russia is not going to attack the USA."

Maybe you didn't read, they don't have to. We will destroy ourselves if Putin wants us to.

I don't think this is the agenda. But agendas change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness