Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 12:10 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times

Advertisements

Think about all the small gear, tools, supplies, generators that depend on electricity... from those tiny dot batteries to powerful 3 phase generators. My preparedness is dependent on the use of batteries, fuel and electricity.

Just the number of flashlights I have is an indication of dependency. Even my hand crank radio needs electricity to operate. I have some solar (100W) but that's not very much. It would take me about 12 hours to fully charge my two group 27 batteries, so in a practical sense that's really 2 days. I will be expanding my use of solar at some point. I can build batteries, but having access to materials is required. The best batteries will probably last 10 years.

I'm not sure I could do without some electrons coursing through my life now. Is there anyone who is NOT dependent on some form of electricity? I know I'm not that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 01:28 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Extremely dependent. Just wait until the power is out for a couple of days and feel how uncomfortable that is.

I've got a whole house generator so I am fine if the electricity goes out,. but if we are talking about Putin messing up our internet which will mess up the utilities, then probably the natural gas will also have problems and my generator won't work.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We have a 6,0000 watt generator, and a 2,000 watt inverter generator, plus a travel trailer on the side of the house with two 11 pound propane tanks (full), two 12 volt batteries, and a 100 watt solar panel with inverter. In the last power outage (8 hours) I used the gas fireplace for heat, and alternated between the refrigerator and freezer every hour, plus the TV/Cable on the inverter generator which is pretty quiet and runs a long time on little gas.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:15 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
I'm completely off grid with a solar power system.

That said I still use electricity to run the freezer and fridge, the well pump and the lights. So I do have a 5500 watt duel fuel generator for backup.

Don't have a tv, I can charge my phone in the truck.

I have a lot of hand tools and since I blacksmith using traditional methods, can make pretty much anything I need.

I use a lot of kerosene lanterns if I'm outside in the dark, and I have a couple battery powered headlamps if I have to work on something in the dark.

Otherwise, not really dependent on electricity.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:05 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Researching and working out my solar rig as I write this.
Weather is beginning to break so I can start prepping the land and pinpoint exactly where I’m putting the panels and such. I’m so done with “the grid”. Those thieving scumbags can suck it.
Tired of being ass raped every month. I do have multiple gas generators for emergencies.
Lotta off grinders by me use generators for all their power needs. The gas cri$i$ is killing them.
None of them run them 24/7 but even a few hours a day is murdering them now with the prices. Yeah screw that. Screw the grid and screw the greedy government and power companies.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:07 PM

7,356 posts, read 4,138,516 times
I can live without electricity for many things. Take away my hot water, I'm going to kill someone.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:41 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
We raise our own meat so there is a lot of emotional and sweat equity in our freezers. I built a DIY solar array to power them independently of the grid and they have been running that way for a few years. The solar equipment has paid for itself in lower electricity bills.

If the grid went away and never came back again our system would continue to run until enough of the components failed and could no longer be replaced. I guess in that situation we would have to run the pressure canners 24/7 until all the meat was preserved.

"Take away my hot water, I'm going to kill someone."

Our first solar upgrade was a solar hot water heater. We've had free hot water for 10 years and the system has paid for itself many times over. Most of the cost was subsidized by tax credits. If the sun is out I can turn it up to 150ish and the water comes out of the tap hot enough to scald the chickens for plucking.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:04 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
FYI... Solar IS still electricity dependency.

Looks like the Amish maybe the most likely not to use electricity.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:47 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
FYI... Solar IS still electricity dependency.

Looks like the Amish maybe the most likely not to use electricity.
Oddly enough, the Amish use electricity, they just don't use it "directly" except for refrigeration (due to laws regarding refrigerating milk).

They use diesel generators to power air compressors that their tools run on.

It's indirect in a few ways: 1) not grid, 2) not "directly" powering their tools.

They also use the diesel generators to charge batteries for their buggy lights.

I think if you want to go to a totally electricity-free population that isn't taking advantage of it by looting and pillaging, you'd have to find one of the few tribes in South America that have had no human contact, or North Sentinel Island. I'm pretty sure that most of Africa and Asia has electricity, even if it's not grid they have solar or generator power.

"FYI... Solar IS still electricity dependency."

I don't disagree, which is why canning is our backup.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:49 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,680,240 times
I’m pretty dependent on electricity but not the grid. I have a grid tied solar system with battery backup that can pretty much run my entire house, except for the central air. I can run the air with my system but not 24/7.

Power goes out in the neighborhood, and my system switches over seamlessly and instantaneously. Unless a neighbor comes by asking about the power, I’d never know there was an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness