Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times

Advertisements

This is an extraordinary website. It's not a survival site per se, but rather a site dealing with an earlier technology, blacksmithing. The information here is presented in a professional manner, but it is the ideal place for a novice to begin.

anvilfire.com - Blacksmithing and Metalworkers Reference for Metal Artists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:48 PM

593 posts, read 889,957 times
Default Survival/Emergency info/links

I will be speaking to a christian men's group soon on this subject. I'm about 60% prepared but thanks to this site I can complete my program.
I reference a few folks like "Food for Health","Emergency Essentials" and even Walmart . My favorite book on the subject i "When All Plans Fail"
(Be ready for Disasters) by Paul Williams, MD one of the worlds experts on the subject. Anyway, my wife and I have a multiple approach to survival.
One is if we are sequestered in out home we have a food pantry plus dehydrated food (Costco 275 meals 5 gal container $84 free shipping and membership NOT required) This product is the least expensive (compare at $200-$400 elsewhere. Crank/Batt flashlights (5) and radio (3) First Aid
Kits (3) Water Filters (Food for Health /Shopzeus for info) We also have a portable stove ,compact tools,poncho's,matches (including Coleman wet)
flint,Sterno cans,utensils,basic toiletries, meds,insect repellent (compact). In the second phase involves grab and go bags (backpacks) and a duplication wherever possible and one week dehydrated food supply.The third phase is to have a food pantry for our two cats and dog,meds,
some toys. We also encourage that enough be stored to help neighbors who may have not stored up, It is not recommended you tell the neigh-
bor you have supplies unless your prepared to board up you windows and doors. When the food stores are stripped of everything in four hours,
interstate commerce is halted,there is not electric ,water or gas for any transportation then desperate people will kill you for a slice of
bread and a few weeks further a slice of your greyhound (can ya dig I knew that ya could.) Food For Heath has a survival kit as well for $144.00 (might be worth the investment) Their food is delicious (seriously we tried samples) has added nutrition and lasts 20 years in foiled ,sealed and deoxygenized. The tub can be used as a toilet if necessary. If your in a grab-n-go mode take some money/ID /glasses/cell etc (home ,car and work) we have six bags.
Have a nice survival!!!! Das

Last edited by DASULAR17; 04-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 04-16-2010, 03:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
This link was posted on another thread, but needs to be on a sticky. There's a storehouse of information here. Note: It looks at first as if it has virtually nothing on it. Scroll down.

Drum-Runners.com

Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
for a very energy saving home, plus a good tempeture in your home, plus the fact you can have large spaces to store right inside your home.

Earth Sheltered Buildings

Old 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM

HiddenPassageway.com - Hidden Secret Passages, Hidden Doors, Safe Rooms, Secret Vault Doors

in case people might want to have something built for them so they could hide items or other supplies from prying eyes.

very nice little site.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 PM

9 posts, read 25,696 times
Great -- I'm going to check out the Costco -- thought you had to be a member and I'm travelling and not near one. Just one suggestion -- Sterno evaporates -- and it doesn't take long -- I bought chafing dish fuel (12 cans for about $12) from Sams Club -- some several years ago -- and it works great still -- indoor safe and it's what the caterers use and lasts several hours. Don't know if any chemical changes to it but didn't notice any problems. My Sterno cans were completely empty after about 18 months -- even the ones I never opened. However, of note is that neither of these cooks very fast so I highly recommend assorted means of cooking which include propane/butane. Thanks for the Costco idea though.....I'm off on the hunt for their website....suppose costco.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
I will be speaking to a christian men's group soon on this subject. I'm about 60% prepared but thanks to this site I can complete my program.
I reference a few folks like "Food for Health","Emergency Essentials" and even Walmart . My favorite book on the subject i "When All Plans Fail"
(Be ready for Disasters) by Paul Williams, MD one of the worlds experts on the subject. Anyway, my wife and I have a multiple approach to survival.
One is if we are sequestered in out home we have a food pantry plus dehydrated food (Costco 275 meals 5 gal container $84 free shipping and membership NOT required) This product is the least expensive (compare at $200-$400 elsewhere. Crank/Batt flashlights (5) and radio (3) First Aid
Kits (3) Water Filters (Food for Health /Shopzeus for info) We also have a portable stove ,compact tools,poncho's,matches (including Coleman wet)
flint,Sterno cans,utensils,basic toiletries, meds,insect repellent (compact). In the second phase involves grab and go bags (backpacks) and a duplication wherever possible and one week dehydrated food supply.The third phase is to have a food pantry for our two cats and dog,meds,
some toys. We also encourage that enough be stored to help neighbors who may have not stored up, It is not recommended you tell the neigh-
bor you have supplies unless your prepared to board up you windows and doors. When the food stores are stripped of everything in four hours,
interstate commerce is halted,there is not electric ,water or gas for any transportation then desperate people will kill you for a slice of
bread and a few weeks further a slice of your greyhound (can ya dig I knew that ya could.) Food For Heath has a survival kit as well for $144.00 (might be worth the investment) Their food is delicious (seriously we tried samples) has added nutrition and lasts 20 years in foiled ,sealed and deoxygenized. The tub can be used as a toilet if necessary. If your in a grab-n-go mode take some money/ID /glasses/cell etc (home ,car and work) we have six bags.
Have a nice survival!!!! Das

Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 AM

www.herbalcom.com

great place to buy bulk herbs for home and cooking.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 PM

593 posts, read 889,957 times
The Man Against Wild is a helpful TV program,but oddly I get the latest survival techniques from the Jim Bakker Show as he has experts like Paul Willaims MD (When All plans Fail) this guy has been everywhere disasters occur. The Food for Life (emergency food folks). We had to recently cancelour trip to Branson or I would have more info. Northern tool has a number of neat survival items. My next project is to get a larger backpack to replace out limited grab and go's. Picked up a new portable shower at Goodwill!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,401,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
for a very energy saving home, plus a good tempeture in your home, plus the fact you can have large spaces to store right inside your home.

Earth Sheltered Buildings

Awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness