Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great replies.

It is encouraging to read about the dependability of Sunpower PV panels as the most experienced installer in my area uses these soley.

Yes, the primary short term plan is to "net meter" as my state just passed its first incentive of $2/W installed of renewable energy. The long term goal is to one day being able to go completely offgrid (maybe by the time the entire country has been converted to "smart-grid"). LP generator in place and the 70 yr. old house is in the process of being made as "energy efficient" as possible.

Any personal experience in "payback" period? Was it more than 7-10 yrs? Is anyone who has posted and is net metering producing to the point you are selling back to your utility? If so, what kW size is your array? Any solar/small wind hybrids owners here?

Solar for house heat is not an option as I am unwilling to cut down the beautiful hardwoors surrounding the house that help keep the A/C days to a minimum except when the humidity/temp. combo is stifling.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 03-06-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I read somewhere online that scientists are working to make the breakthrough of getting PV cells to release more than one photon at a time when struck by light. If they can ever achieve this the potential of energy that could be provided by PVC systems would be exponentially greater. As I understand it this has not yet been achieved so it is unrealistic that this will happen when I'd like to make my puchase.

I'm old enough to remember when calculators were both huge and expensive. I keep hoping that the innovations with PVC systems will similarly increase in efficiency and decrease in price. Maybe this is unrealistic?
Unlike calculators, computers, vcr's etc, energy efficient PVC systems are not likely to be affordable by the average household anytime soon. Prices have slowing been dropping, but the upfront costs are still way too high and the margin of decrease in price is not sufficient to see a ROI.

I think it is unrealistic and wishful thinking on my part as well, as I too, am hoping to be around to see it.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 AM

14 posts, read 19,394 times
My home is all electric .. I have a hydro electric plant 12.5 kw QF with geothermal system to heat and air condition my home,And solar hot water panels to heat water I think hot water makeing is the very best short term pay Back.......

Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDT-Seal View Post
My home is all electric .. I have a hydro electric plant 12.5 kw QF with geothermal system to heat and air condition my home,And solar hot water panels to heat water I think hot water makeing is the very best short term pay Back.......
Doesn't your geothermal HVAC tie into your water heater to transfer quite a bit of that heat during all except the very coldest of months?

I was told that mine will aid in my water heating but it has only been in place a few months. This summer will tell the full story. Once the dirt settles in more l over the coils my installer will be back to tie it into the water heater.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM

14 posts, read 19,394 times
Mine is not tied to my water heater

Old 10-13-2015, 12:06 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Unlike calculators, computers, vcr's etc, energy efficient PVC systems are not likely to be affordable by the average household anytime soon. Prices have slowing been dropping, but the upfront costs are still way too high and the margin of decrease in price is not sufficient to see a ROI.

I think it is unrealistic and wishful thinking on my part as well, as I too, am hoping to be around to see it.
Going to solar power is not an 'investment' in the same context as mutual funds. There is no ROI in that context.

We went to solar power because we want reliable power every day. The power company here is not capable of providing power for 30 days per month. After living here 7 years, we have yet to see a single continuous month without the grid going down. Grid power is cheap. It is hard to get cheaper electricity [unless you go with micro-hydro]. But grid power is not very reliable. I like knowing that my power will be on all day today, and that it will be on tomorrow too.

I am on pension, my Dw will soon be on a pension also. As our income drops, we wanted to invest now, in something that would lower our COL later. Without an electric bill our COL is less now.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:30 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Going to solar power is not an 'investment' in the same context as mutual funds. There is no ROI in that context.
Sub, I think a lot of these people are city dwellers thinking about a large, multi-thousand $$$ array such as the hucksters try to sell them, with the idea of "selling power back to the utility to save money".

That's a scam. They never try to sell you - even mention - a battery bank, which is the only way to make these systems work for you. In a city or even a small town, people are required to be hooked up to the grid, by law. Selling power back to the utility won't make even a dent in the price of those panels.

But with a battery bank, you can place a LOT of your draw on the batteries, connected to the panels. That's right...instead of selling that power back to the utility, use it yourself. Then you gradually reduce the number of appliances, lights, etc being powered by the grid, until you are basically paying nothing to the utility except a monthly delivery charge, and taxes. You're required to pay this by law, but that's city life!

That's the only way to get any "ROI" on solar panels, and sadly, the hucksters don't even mention battery banks. But then...the utilities wouldn't like that, would they??

Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
One of our neighbors signed a 20-year lease-to-own contract for a roof-covered in panels and net-metering. Now they spin the meter backwards, Woo Hoo! But they are not paid a dime for their power, and they must pay the taxes on the power they use. Their monthly bill is the same as before, and they still lose power every time the grid goes down.

In summary; they just 'invested' $30k, they still spend the same amount every month, they still do not have power in their home every day, and they love their system because it is 'green'.

I spent a lot less, and I derive benefits from my system.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
they love their system because it is green.
Then, I guess they got their money's worth, and their ROI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness