Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,737 times

Advertisements

Helen and Scott Nearing are still the sine qua non of homesteading.
"Living the Good Life" and "Continuing the Good Life"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
The two best people in the world living off the grid:

Straight Creek Valley Farm

Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Helen and Scott Nearing are still the sine qua non of homesteading. "Living the Good Life" and "Continuing the Good Life"
It is my understanding that they were exclusively supported by a trust-fund and book publishing income.

I read once where during their entire 'homesteading' adventure their homestead income totaled nearly 5% of their cost-of-living. 95% of their cost-of-living was provided by a trust-fund and copyrights from their writings.

Are you suggesting that those numbers were far off?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Dorothy Ainsworth...the woman is an unbelievable dynamo, seriously

www.dorothyainsworth.com
I'm going to start eating more beans.

Apparently, they work miracles.

This woman is amazing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is my understanding that they were exclusively supported by a trust-fund and book publishing income.

I read once where during their entire 'homesteading' adventure their homestead income totaled nearly 5% of their cost-of-living. 95% of their cost-of-living was provided by a trust-fund and copyrights from their writings.

Are you suggesting that those numbers were far off?

Somehow this does not surprise me.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Somehow this does not surprise me.
We own some rural land and we are tryign to set ourselves up to produce all of our own food.

However I am among the first to admit that I have a pension income and my DW works; I would never wish to imply that we are doing 'it' without outside support.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We own some rural land and we are tryign to set ourselves up to produce all of our own food.

However I am among the first to admit that I have a pension income and my DW works; I would never wish to imply that we are doing 'it' without outside support.
And when you look at many farm families they have an income source other than just farming. One spouse often has a job off the farm or works from home.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And when you look at many farm families they have an income source other than just farming. One spouse often has a job off the farm or works from home.
I understand.

In the context of homesteading being a 'nearly self-sufficient' lifestyle; given today's standard-of-living it usually is not.

When we attempted this before in the 1980s, the folks we met who were very nearly self-sufficient were also in extreme poverty. Really if they had needed to make mortgage payments they would have failed.

Doing it once again now as a pensioner, the others that we have met are often heard referencing the 'Nearings', as having reached some level of nirvana or place in homesteading that everyone else is trying to duplicate.

I have not read the Nearing books, I read a bit about them and it stood out to me that they were not self-sufficient. Rather they were trust-fund recipients.

I think that many people may have been led astray from reading their books.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I had some friends that moved "off the grid" back in the late 60's. Then it was all about growing pot out where no one would look for it. And, the communal thing was pretty popular. I passed on the opportunity because I had the best girlfriend and I think the free love part (which went with the territory) was a pretty big motivating factor for some of the guys and I was a little too territorial given there was no upside.

Anyway, the pot didn't really make them any money because it wasn't that good and they had no distribution network. But they did start making a consumer item out of local materials which they sold first at stands and then in stores. Then, in the late 80's they got in Walmart. A few years ago a venture capital group purchased the company and flipped it to a Fortune 100 company. They all got a ton of money.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
I had never heard of the Nearings, so I looked them up- seems that they had a neighbor who wrote a book called "Living Next Door to the Good Life", lol- kinda blew the whistle on them a bit, and claimed that they weren't as "earthy" as they would have everyone believe- however, I'm sure they made an awesome living off of their books, to go with that handy-dandy trust fund!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness