Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 08:13 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times

Advertisements

call it selfish or whatever, but I have more important payments to make. I have a dental payment Ive committed to that needs to be paid back and have to buy books for next semester.

here's the quandry. there's presents with my name under the tree right now.

is it wrong for me to refuse to open them until I give them presents. i dont feel comfortable getting something and not giving something back.

its either that or sell my ps3 in the next couple days for some christmas cash.

i also refuse to go in debt for christmas. honestly, i dont want to give anything. im tired of christmas being shoved down my throat. telling me i have to go into debt and stand in line for some worthless piece of crap tv or movie.

i really dont care if i get anything either. to me its awkward and a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,527,580 times
How about just putting a card with a note inside saying how much you appreciate what everyone has done for you, and that when you get back on your feet you will reciprocate the kindness. Don't hurt the ones that love you by refusing. They will understand. Christmas spirit is the key.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
Instead of buying gifts in January, why not make up gift cards that will be for various services. You don't say whose tree your presents are under, but if it's your family tree, why not make up gift cards to wash their cars, clean the house, or make dinners for a specific number of times. They must know that you are on a budget and will welcome having some of those things done for them. There are probably many more things that they would appreciate rather than having a store-bought gift.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,014 times
If you're in college or grad school, don't sweat it. Your family understands that money is tight while you're a student. We've all been there. In fact the best present anyone in their 20's can give is just taking time to show up at family gatherings throughout the yr, whether it's cousin's bday parties or family bbq's. I know it's tempting to just hang with friends and avoid boring family functions, but your presence at gatherings means so much more to older ppl than mere holiday gifts & trinkets.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i also refuse to go in debt for christmas. honestly, i dont want to give anything. im tired of christmas being shoved down my throat. telling me i have to go into debt and stand in line for some worthless piece of crap tv or movie.

i really dont care if i get anything either. to me its awkward and a hassle.
Ah, there's the true meaning of Christmas! If you can't afford to waste money on gifts, just give them a nice hand-written card... anyone who'd be angry with you because of that isn't worth your time anyway.

Luckily I'm Jewish, so there's no pressure to buy gifts, but like you I'm in no place to spend money on useless crap. No explanations needed, since my loved ones know my situation and don't expect gifts anyway - my sister even said "please DON'T buy anything for us," but I do insist on giving her kids one or two little things. And that's ALL I'm buying for the "holiday season" this year!

Hopefully your friends/family are this understanding, so don't stress yourself over it... if they love you, they won't base their feelings on whether or not you got them a pair of socks.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times
i sold my ps3 for 225. looks like ill be able to give gifts.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:37 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Quote:
I think it is really sweet that you put buying gifts for others ahead of something that was important to you.....but I also think when we get pushed or rooked into this type of mentality for commercialize Christmas.... it robs us of the joy of the season.

I'm sure your family/friends appreciated your selfless sacrifice.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM

177 posts, read 416,471 times
I also think it's good you sold your ps3. That's something you really won't regret and is just a good thing to do. You can miss it and then buy another at some point, but it was nice to do.
Next year what you can do is make it very, very clear that your preferance is to do something thoughtful but no big purchase gifts.
Making a buttery batch of cookies absolutely never is an unwelcome gift and you can even keep the batches small. It's thoughtful and budget friendly. Not a thing wrong with it!
What's important tho' so that everyone is comfortable is to say it ahead of time - "guys, this year, cookies!" It really works and more then you will be relieved!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,643 times
Quote:
Aw I was gonna post that I hope you DIDN'T sell your PS3! Don't get me wrong, selling your PS3 is an admirable thing, but you only got $225 for a $300 item. That's a $75 loss! I'm sure interest charges on debt would have been less than $75 assuming you paid it off within a month or two.

Well maybe you can buy a used PS3 from someone else for $225 when you have money again later this month

Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,643 times
P.S. You could start setting aside $20/month so next Christmas nothing will have to be pawned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products