Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

The just opened a new Dollar General in my area and I have to say that the place in damn convenient and even has a lot of products selling at a lower price than Walmart and/or Kroger. I have fallen in love with Dollar General! BTW, they built this one in a rural area and the place is busy as hell. I think that is the DG strategy. They can't beat Walmart in the city, but rural...they win hands-down. Anyone else like DG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I do, kdad! That and Family Dollar...and the prices are right!

My fav items to purchase, all priced lower: pain meds/creams, soaps, napkins, tp, all dish washing detergents, hand or dw, candles, some food products, candy, plastic items, cat foods, summer sandals etc etc etc.

Glad you discovered it

Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
I shop them when I'm in rural areas, but they don't have any stores where I live in the suburbs.

I think their business model is genius. Somehow only they and Family Dollar were able to realize that there was a void in rural areas that Walmart wasn't filling.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,653,351 times
I shop at both DG and FD. They're all over the place here in Tampa. The best way to shop there, though, is to go in w/ manufacture's coupon when the item is on sale. Great savings then! I never buy food there, though. It may be just fine, but for me, I have to get food at a grocery store.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times
I live in a rural area and new Dollar General stores are being built in every little town around.

I find that they are a very good place to buy cards and gift wrap. They still don't beat WalMart on grocery prices in our area. But going to Dollar General is a lot less hassle if you only want to pick up a couple of items.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,527 times
Be careful of those dollar stores. Where in some product are ok. you have to look closely to where the item is made. The expiration dates if there is one. You can purchase a product that look like a name brand here but is actually made in Mexico where the standards are much lower. TV station did a local expose on our dollar stores, by various names. Found a name brand toothpaste that was made in Mexico with WAY too much fluoride. Food items that were past expiration date or days away. found some items you could buy cheaper at Walgreen's or local stores, even items that were recalled.
I am not saying not to shop at the stores. I am just say be careful and be an aware shopper. Just because a item says packaged in USA doesn't mean it was made here.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
Be careful of those dollar stores.
Dollar General is not a dollar store. They're more of a discount general store.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I agree, the name of the store is a bit misleading, most items were more than $1. I like the Dollar Tree a bit more as their prices are $1, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Dollar General is not a dollar store. They're more of a discount general store.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
Be careful of those dollar stores. Where in some product are ok. you have to look closely to where the item is made. The expiration dates if there is one. You can purchase a product that look like a name brand here but is actually made in Mexico where the standards are much lower. TV station did a local expose on our dollar stores, by various names. Found a name brand toothpaste that was made in Mexico with WAY too much fluoride. Food items that were past expiration date or days away. found some items you could buy cheaper at Walgreen's or local stores, even items that were recalled.
I am not saying not to shop at the stores. I am just say be careful and be an aware shopper. Just because a item says packaged in USA doesn't mean it was made here.
Dollar General and Family Dollar sell more or less normal products you'd find in Evil*Mart, Target, et al. Lots of national brands in both DG and FD. I like them both but for some reason like FD a bit more, even though there's less difference between them than McDonald's and Burger King. The only real difference seems to be that DG sells Pepsi-Cola and FD sells Coca-Cola..unless you're in an area with a Dollar General Market, which seems to be a Dollar General combined with a Save-A-Lot type store of their own. FD has nothing comparing to this (except that around here, more than one FD is in the same center as a S-A-L.
Here in SE MI, there are a lot more Family Dollars. In the low-end inner ring suburb where I work (only five square miles), there are seven FDs and one DG either in the city or within a mile of the city limits. Family Dollar seems to have no problem setting up in the ghetto and in low-end suburbs, often one every mile and a half or so. Dollar Generals are often in slightly better areas, and I've seen one in an upper middle class area (albeit with a trailer park nearby).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products