Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I learned their rules.

They learned my rules.

Guess who came out the winner?

Another store.

If you want to walk into a store backwards with your pants down, that's your option. I on the other hand make decisions for myself. I'm not going to have some cashier, and sorry, I don't think, I know I'm higher on the food chain than these kids, tell me what I can and cannot do. Not when I'm the one holding the bank card. I'm certainly not going to give one of them my license to walk away with in this day and age of identify theft.If you want to sell your wares, those are my rules. If you don't, I've got 20 other stores in the area willing to work with my rules. He who has the gold (card) makes them when it comes to shopping.
Thanks for confirming my "entitlement mentality" diagnosis.

Shop Rite is currently the #1 highest revenue supermarket chain (and also one of the fastest growing) in the NYC/Philly area. They recently overtook Acme as the highest revenue supermarket chain in the Philly market alone. I don't think they got that way by being unreasonable with their customers. They may have lost the battle for your dollars, but they are, by and large, winning the war for more reasonable people's dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Thanks for confirming my "entitlement mentality" diagnosis.

Shop Rite is currently the #1 highest revenue supermarket chain (and also one of the fastest growing) in the NYC/Philly area. They recently overtook Acme as the highest revenue supermarket chain in the Philly market alone. I don't think they got that way by being unreasonable with their customers. They may have lost the battle for your dollars, but they are, by and large, winning the war for more reasonable people's dollars.

I remember shopping in Shop Rite when I was a kid in the early 70s. It's a nice store and it obviously knows how to run a business.

I was thinking I was being a bit harsh with my reply...I see that I wasn't. LOL

The OP is right..it's their right to shop where ever they want. What gets me is the attitude of "I knew the rules and wanted to break them anyway and wanted everyone to bend over backwards to make ME happy."

Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I remember shopping in Shop Rite when I was a kid in the early 70s. It's a nice store and it obviously knows how to run a business.

I was thinking I was being a bit harsh with my reply...I see that I wasn't. LOL

The OP is right..it's their right to shop where ever they want. What gets me is the attitude of "I knew the rules and wanted to break them anyway and wanted everyone to bend over backwards to make ME happy."
Nobody "wanted" to break their rules. However I didn't want to give them my information, regardless of whether or not I was in a rush.

I'm just tellin ya how a successful business operates. You make allowances for customer concerns when they don't cost money or time. This would cost them neither, and instead of just doing it they refused. So I left the groceries at the register and left.

Like another poster said, almost ALL other stores with these stupid cards have a way of using a substitute card for their customers who forget, or don't wish to get a card.

Shop-rite wants to be sticklers............ so I told'em where to stick it.

My money, my rules. If they don't want to abide by my rules, they can keep their merchandise.

Where do you get off trying to tell me that ShopRite's "rules" are more important than my rules?

Are you programmed that well?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Shop Rite IS a successful business. Your money your rules, fine. Their store, their rules. They won't miss your $100/month.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Nobody "wanted" to break their rules. However I didn't want to give them my information, regardless of whether or not I was in a rush.

I'm just tellin ya how a successful business operates. You make allowances for customer concerns when they don't cost money or time. This would cost them neither, and instead of just doing it they refused. So I left the groceries at the register and left.

Like another poster said, almost ALL other stores with these stupid cards have a way of using a substitute card for their customers who forget, or don't wish to get a card.

Shop-rite wants to be sticklers............ so I told'em where to stick it.

My money, my rules. If they don't want to abide by my rules, they can keep their merchandise.

Where do you get off trying to tell me that ShopRite's "rules" are more important than my rules?

Are you programmed that well?
Where do YOU get off telling anyone your rules are better than anyone else's?

You did know the rules, you chose to break the rules and when they didn't cave to your tantrum, you stomped your foot, stuck out your tongue and did them a favor by leaving.

As a business owner, I'd gladly lose YOU as a customer because once I cave to your ME, ME, ME attitude, you'd expect it everytime you walked thru my door. High maintence isn't my thing.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Shop Rite IS a successful business. Your money your rules, fine. Their store, their rules. They won't miss your $100/month.

Thanks, now there's coffee all over my screen.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
:::applause:::

Old 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Where do YOU get off telling anyone your rules are better than anyone else's?

You did know the rules, you chose to break the rules and when they didn't cave to your tantrum, you stomped your foot, stuck out your tongue and did them a favor by leaving.

As a business owner, I'd gladly lose YOU as a customer because once I cave to your ME, ME, ME attitude, you'd expect it everytime you walked thru my door. High maintence isn't my thing.
I'm not.

I'm saying my rules are my rules.

If you want my money, you follow them.

If you don't, then don't.

I can get your goods from just about anywhere.

You can only get my money from me.

You want it? Thems the rules sweetie.

...but I have to say, if you want to lose me as a customer not because I didn't want to pay a fair price, but because I expected you to do what most other businesses in your sector do, while still allowing you to make a profit off my patronage, fine.

If you want to lose my business over what amounts to obtaining some intrusive information that is not germane to selling me your wares, then I have to say, you'll be going the way of many other businesses, in the very near future.

Bankruptcy

This idea that the consumer, and not the merchant, is who is supposed to conform is utterly ridiculous.

Take it from someone who knows. You're a business failure waiting to happen with that attitude.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So was Woolworths

Hey if you want to be forced to give up your personal information by a store, and are willing to conform for the privilege of making them a profit, go right ahead.

So how many other liberties are you willing to give up for a gallon of milk?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not.

I'm saying my rules are my rules.

If you want my money, you follow them.

If you don't, then don't.

I can get your goods from just about anywhere.

You can only get my money from me.

You want it? Thems the rules sweetie.

...but I have to say, if you want to lose me as a customer not because I didn't want to pay a fair price, but because I expected you to do what most other businesses in your sector do, while still allowing you to make a profit off my patronage, fine.

If you want to lose my business over what amounts to obtaining some intrusive information that is not germane to selling me your wares, then I have to say, you'll be going the way of many other businesses, in the very near future.

Bankruptcy

This idea that the consumer, and not the merchant, is who is supposed to conform is utterly ridiculous.

Take it from someone who knows. You're a business failure waiting to happen with that attitude.
The thing is... I don't need YOUR money. I have plenty of other customers who don't have the kiss my ass attitude you do. They are more than happy to pay us 3x what the guy down the street charges because A) We are good at what we do B) We offer a service and product line that no one else has C) We make ourselves available to our customers..but, on our terms..not theirs. D) We know how to run a business..I know my ROI, I know my inventory, I know my products and my customers. 80% of customers do not ask for pricing upfront..they pay whatever we charge.

High maintence ppl aren't worth my time as my time is money and that applies to customers, suppliers, and anyone else in this world.

I'll give dh the warning that we're about to go under because we don't cave to unruly customer demands...I just hope he can contain his laughter and not bust a gut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products