Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 AM

730 posts, read 1,313,391 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any interaction with this group? They send young folks around to sell books that may or may not go to a hospital or magazine subscriptions; the kids are supposedly in training to learn how to communicate and earn points for a trip to Italy (or whatever line they're using for a particular part of the country). They come across as wholesome and eager; I fell for it, buying two books ($46 each yikes) that were going to a hospital of my choosing. Total cost was $107 (2 books @ $46 plus $15 shipping/handling); gave $20 plus a check for $87. After the kid left, I decided I'd better check online (I know, should've done it before). Seems as though this "scam" is working all over the country; I sent in my cancellation (you have 3 days to cancel) this morning certified mail, signature required, return receipt requested. We'll see how long it takes to refund my check or, do you think I should STOP PAYMENT on the check now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Google them, doesn't look real good.

Google

Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,391 times
I did check them out on Google (stupidly, after the kid left). I'm going to stop payment on the check, so I'll only be out $20. I sent in a cancellation within the 3 day cancellation period, but I doubt they'll be too terribly responsible. Stupid thing to do, lesson learned. Can't believe I actually fell for it as I never ever buy door to door. Just wanted to get the word out to as many people as possible.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
One Word Of Caution, if you are placing a stop payment on the check, you must notify them prior to them cashing it that you did this. If they are a full scam, they probably have this happen a lot and won;t say anything, BUT if they are a legitimate business (even if its a unethical business) you could end up being charged their return check fees. Funny, some companies involved in these weird sales services expect this to happen to the point they actually make money by having "return check fees" in addition to their bank fees to make money on this. So let them know asap and document it so if they deposit it after you notify them, it's on their dime not yours.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Also, I would be some kind of leery giving a check to a stranger that came to the door. There are too many ways to alter checks - potential problems requiring hours on the phone to clear up.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,446 times
Default In response to your Dynasty 211 Complaint..

Hi my name is Crystel Dupin, I found your post and thought that I should tell you a few things about the company I worked for Dynasty 211. I apologize to you that you were some that was scammed. I hope that you got your full refund back. As you probably know we are not in a contest to go on a trip. What they do is for every magazine for $40 you get $10 out of it. When Dynasty 211 hired me they told me that it was for a modeling agency! I had no idea at the beginning they were scamming people until I was able to research the company and found that they did scam. I never did scam anyone If I said I was sending them to a hospital I had the person get their phone book out and find the address to the hospital they chose. I never said anything about the military because we were unable to send them across seas. There are many more companies than just Dynasty 211 so be careful of all the mag agents that come to your door.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,083 times
Hi, I was also very recently scammed by the same company. I immediately filed a stop payment, but I want to know if they can't ever use my check anymore. Has anything changed in your account since it happened? I'm scared that they will hold onto my check until they can deposit it.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
When I had my first apartment in 1970, I fell for this scheme . That means that they (in one sense or another) have been around for a looooong time.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-27-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,993 times
We fell for it too on 12-7-11 in the city of Yucaipa. There were 2 boys and they tried to get me to buy 2 subscriptions, so they would each get "points" to beat the girls team and win a trip to Italy...blah blah blah! After they shoved the order form in my face and told me all these wonderful things that they were going to do with their lives, I agreed to buy one. Once I said I would not buy 2, one of the boys took off and jumped in the Explorer that kept circling by. Then, I was facing this 5' 8" blond haired, blue eyes kid that 100% worked me into giving him 55 bucks. It was freezing outside and I let him come in, once he was in he sat at my table and was looking at everything we had sitting there - thank goodness nothing of importance was there. I didn't have any more checks so he told me that I could take him to the ATM...WHAT??? I ended up taking it from my kids hidden bank and once he left, I felt like a complete idiot. I immediately got online and saw all the scam information and the F grade on the BBB. I sent the cancellation the next morning and sent an email. I got a response telling me that I had to send the form within 3 days, I informed them that I had sent it and please give me the status of my refund. I have sent the same email every single day now and have no response. And conveniently, I went to log on to the website www.dynasty211.com and it is it down for maintenance. I have a feeling I am never going to get my 55 bucks back. We NEVER buy door to door and this time we were fully suckered by "Justin Silverheels" - who, I might add has a record in another state. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:41 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohellosad View Post
Hi, I was also very recently scammed by the same company. I immediately filed a stop payment, but I want to know if they can't ever use my check anymore. Has anything changed in your account since it happened? I'm scared that they will hold onto my check until they can deposit it.
I might explain it to the bank and close the account and open a new one. They can forge your signature and have your bank account number. Close the account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products