Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 72,081 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for some new bedding a pillows. I went to macys yesterday and found what I needed. As always the cashier asks if I have a macys card and I did not want to open one. I don't like to use credit as I only use my debit card for purchases. I got sucked into opening a Khols charge last year and may even close that out.

Anyway the clerk was telling me in order for me to use the macys coupons it has to be on a macys charge account. I never heard of this? 2 weeks ago I was in a different macys store and the clerk scanned a coupon for me and I did not have a macys charge.

This would have been an expensive order as I was buying the hotel collection brand of sheets and pillows. I decided to walk out. I want to go back and get them but I want to use the coupon and not have to pay full price.

Anyone have any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
What does the fine print on the coupon say? If it says you have to use it in conjunction with their card there is probably not much the cashier can do about it.
Willing to bet though that the cashier either misunderstands the policy, or is trying to pull a fast one and improve their upselling by getting people to sign up for the card by telling them a lie. If the coupon doesn't specifically say an account is required I'd go back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:36 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
As said, read the coupon! Where did you get it? If someone w/a card gave it to you, it's likely only good w/a charge.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:47 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
The cashier is probably being forced to get a quota of new charge accounts. Any business these days is going to try to cross sell you, like your bank, or your drug store, etc. She may have just been trying to scam you. I have a Macys charge and am fine with using it if I need to to get a discount. It costs you nothing to have one if you do not use it or you pay it off evey month. Really though, Macys rules for different sales are too convoluted to understand, so most of the time I avoid it. The last straw for me was a birthday $10. off certificate I got from them, which when I went to pay, was not able to be used for what I was buying. I'm pretty much done with them.
Do not cancel your Kohls card, since cancelling a credit card affects your FICO score adversely.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You do not have to have a Macy's card to use the coupons. That's bull.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You do not have to have a Macy's card to use the coupons. That's bull.
Incorrect, some of them are ONLY for use w/a Macy's charge, it's written right on the coupon(s).

Old 06-20-2012, 01:40 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
Gentlearts is right about the Kohls card, Giacona -- if you don't want to use it anymore, cut it up and put it in an envelope with your old credit-card statements. Just let it collect dust.

As for Macys, I think different coupons have different rules.

I can't recall the last time I actually bought anything at Macys, because they have such broad rules for coupon use. Like "Good only on regular-priced merchandise," (and then I see "SALE!" on every other display!).

(Have you looked at bedding at Bed, Bath and Beyond?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products