Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 06:19 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,433 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I'm preparing to move within 6-mos & want to sell some things such as, clothing, videos (professional hair/nail, no ISBN's so can't sell on amazon/"half dot com") & small appliances/phones. I've used Craigslist before with great success & this time am not having as much luck. Perhaps it's not the right time & I'll just need to relist later.

Does anyone know of a free online selling site, similar to CL? I'm in Boston, in the event someone knows of something local.

Lastly, if I have freebies I list them on "freecycle dot com", a great resource for those who don't know about it. While I'm asking, anyone know of other free sites, in the event I can't clean things out via the free section of CL or FC?

Thanks so much... Baltic_Celt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 05:43 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,912 times
How about the classified forum on here?

Old 10-22-2006, 06:39 AM

Thank you, Gram!

I did check out the Classified listings before & noticed they all related to folks selling properties, so I just assumed... And when you assume... Well, you know the rest.

So, I emailed the Admin to ask if I could place local, personal sale listings. I couldn't tell by reading the rules. I'll report back.

Thank you kindly for the idea... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-23-2006, 12:24 AM

Gram or for anyone else interested -

The Admin said you can sell "other things" than housing on the Classified forum. I also asked about housing rentals, as I'm a landlord, & that's fine, too.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:55 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,225 times
Ebay is really easy to do. I never sold anything on there but I listed an item for my Mother-in-law (it didn't sell)
It's not free but I remember it depended on how much you listed or sold the item for. I think it cost her less than a dollar to list it.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:50 PM

Default An inspirational online selling story

Hi Looking -

Thank you. I was looking to sell locally & prevent shipping hassles. Also, my identity was stolen when I had an ebay account. Just a calamity to smooth out & I never even got a chance to use it, so I'm a bit gunshy about trying it again. Lost $1K. But, my sister sells/buys small scale thru ebay & she's had good luck.

Know it's a bit off-topic, but I've got an interesting story to share Re: online selling. An ebay success story I've heard about is a friend's friend's friend (the preverbial "they") who never graduated highschool & can barely read/write. He happened along some antiques at a flea market & purchased them inexpensively. Didn't know what he'd do with them, but somehow he sensed value in them & the price was right.

A friend saw them crammed into his little apt one day & said "sell them online", but as he can't read/write he asked if the guy could design a website for him. The guy took pity on him, as his friend just essentially survived all his life financially, built the site for free & within 1-yr the first guy became a millionaire.

According to the story, he still knows nothing about antiques/computers. He figured out how to hire someone to find/purchase the antiques for him, his 2nd hiree takes pics, puts them online & manages the website & he takes care of the packing/shipping of his beautiful antiques all over the US. He supposedly pays both employees a % of the profits & yes, the webmaster is the guy who originally gave them the idea. Reportedly, all have done so well (now 5-yrs later), they retired from their day jobs & this is all they do. Also, reportedly, the 2 employees are now >this< close to being millionaires themselves.

I was told this story by an ex-boyfriend, who was a freelance website designer (meaning a cab driver) who knew all 3. All 3 men in the story were also cab drivers, now former drivers.

I love success stories. It means we can all do it. Now, where is that book on antiques...

Baltic_Celt

Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,225 times
I thought I had a Million Dollar table once. I was reasearching online and saw it and just about freaked out. It was very close but no cigar. I did find other knock offs like mine that sold for $5000. But mine had termites so I just gave away free, didn't want to hassle with it.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,787,001 times
www.Craigslist.org

Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
Ebay is the way to go!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 13,654 times
go to pressmania.com, olex.com,backpage.com I'll think of others that I know, but there all free clasifieds. hope that helps....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products