Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times

Advertisements

:think :......The following is "a lttle bit of info (price info) that may be of benefit to others.
......................Regarding my statement in the "Title Block above"..I'd like to, but not when the the difference is 50%...............................

I recently purchased a Samsung Tablet (on the internet) and needed to get a:.**."SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-1 Memory Card, 32 GB" for it.

I priced 3 stores locally here in Hamilton including the VERIZON Store, all 3 were $50.00)..
I got on the internet and went to "BEST BUY"............and was able to find EXACTLY what I wanted (**as stated above) for $24.99 !!
I then thought, rather than buy over the internet,...I'll call the Missoula BEST BUY Store and see if they will handle my order........they were happy to do so, and I received it delivered to my door within 60 hours.....with no additional charges for shipping and handling.
Considering it's a 105 mile round trip to drive to Missoula (gas cost alone is $21.00).....my loyalty to local merchants only can be extended so far .

Regarding the price differential for the Samsung Tablet...........after searching the internet, I found a source (Rakuten) that saved me $195.00 as opposed to buying it in Missoula or Hamilton...(and this included the lowest price at Best Buy.)

Regarding buying FACTORY REFURBISHEDitems: Over the last several years I have purchased Lap Tops, Smart Phones, Video Cameras & Vacuum Cleamers, and have not had any problems with the items. I do make sure that they are Refurbished by the FACTORY that orginally build them, not by an "out-sourced Refurbishing Shop.".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 05:33 PM

526 posts, read 899,062 times
Verizon, Best Buy are not "local" stores anywhere

Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
They are now days; just not mom and pop type.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
.....Hey folks, looks like we have a "SPE" (Self-proclaimed-expert) in the crowd

A wise man long ago said:..."Never argue with an uneducated, socially disadvantaged person, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Old 11-14-2014, 02:09 AM

30,530 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
I think that was the OP's point. In this case, buying local would have cost about double than buying from a chain.

Usually true, unfortunately. Well maybe not the double part but certainly cost in general.

For electronics, my priority is buying from a place that has someone who can help me figure the gizmo out.

Anything else, I try but yea, sometimes it costs too much.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:48 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
I never shop in small stores or even stores like Verizon. They charge double what you would pay elsewhere. Thankfully, I don't live 100 miles away from stores where I can get things inexpensively (although I will buy online if I can find it for less)

Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Considering it's a 105 mile round trip to drive to Missoula (gas cost alone is $21.00)
At the wreckless rate of 15mpg, you best not drive anywhere.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I think that was the OP's point. In this case, buying local would have cost about double than buying from a chain.

Usually true, unfortunately. Well maybe not the double part but certainly cost in general.
My friend owns a hardware store, what he's paying for the product is almost what the big chains sell it for. There is no way for him to try and compete. Even things like lawn mowers are barely worth the floor space for how much profit he makes.

He only stays in business because if you need a small quantity of something it's not worth it to drive to Home Depot. He'll also often have things they don't have epsecially where small hardware (nuts, bolts, screws) is concerned.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Shop local campaigns such as the American Express "Small Business Saturday" promotion are typically directed at locally owned merchants, not those chains that have a store in your city.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
At the wreckless rate of 15mpg, you best not drive anywhere.
My choice of vehicle is based on: #1/ Where I live:... (rural Mt at the end of a non-maintained --1.7 mile gravel road that is 2.5 miles from the County gravel road, that is 2 more miles from the paved state hwy). a 4WD is mandatory.
#2/: I drive a full size GMC Yukon XL, that weighs approx 7000 pounds the way it is outfitted and carrys 2 Lg size dog travel crates; a "Truck Vault" filled with "sporting/hunting and back-country gear"; approx 1000 rounds of Trap and Skeet loads. Then add the weight of a full gas tank (31 gal) and you've got a pretty good load for that 5.3 L engine. If I've got two dogs & 1 other passenger on a particular trip to MSO, then I'm at approx 7300 pounds.....................thus my overall avg of 15 mpg.
Plus at my age I like having a heavy, well built vehicle (lots of steel) all around me in case some damn fool in a 3000 pound little foreign sedan looses control and ends up in my lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products