Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times

Advertisements

The McDonald's in impoverished or poor neighborhoods always seem to have bad tasting soda too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 03:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
What fast food chains are growing? That might say who is taking the customers from McDonalds.
Chipotle's is probably the fastest-growing chain right now.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
I think a bunch of factors are contributing to the decline of McDonald's. They are:

1. People want to eat healthier.
2. Exposure of weird, industrial ingredients and lying to the public. For instance, the yoga mat foam in chicken nuggets, pink slim, beef tallow spray on fries after they said they were 100% vegetable oil, chicken nuggets made partly of pork, etc.
3. People are having less children and having them at an older age. McDonald's was the go-to place for harried parents on a budget who wanted to wanted to please picky children. Now people have fewer children and wait to have them until they're more financially stable.
4. Violence and other nuttiness. The Internet is rife with videos of people fighting, cussing, and throwing fits inside their restaurants.
5. Decline in customer service. The franchise was famous for employing teenagers grateful to get their first job and a little spending cash. Now it's just as likely that the people working there are adults with families to feed. They are stressed and disgruntled about their economic situation.
6. The rise of other fast food options that are slightly healthier and higher in quality. These include places like Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Panda Express, Quizno's, Five Guys, etc.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Their continuing poor performance was in the news again today.

I have to laugh at the notion that "Americans are becoming more health-conscious." That has nothing to do with it. Americans are, in fact, getting fatter. They're simply overeating elsewhere. When DH and I go to a restaurant, we can't believe the portion sizes. And the prepared [junk] food department at Wegmans has never done better.

We don't go to McDonald's, so all I know is what I've read and heard, but my guess would be that they're failing because their focus is no longer fast, basic food. It's been in the news recently that they're offering kale along with gouda cheese on their burgers. And much has been made in the past when salads, apple slices, and milk were added to the menu. Really, Lol, who goes to McDonald's for health food? Is service no longer "fast" because staff is caught up these added offerings? IMO, they should get back to basics: burgers, fries, pop, and shakes (did they have apple "pie" or something like that?). That's all they should offer.

When a business follows trends that separate it from its once-successful business model, it is sure to fail.

Personally, I think it does have to do with people being more health conscious now. I know that's true in our house. (Weight gain doesn't always come from overeating, BTW, and many Americans are gaining weight because of the phthalates and pesticides in our food, and the effect those have on our endocrine systems.)

DH and I occasionally indulge in a burger, but we order from Burger King because they flame broil their (not frozen) meat, and they aren't at all greasy. They taste good! We order ours with no condiments on them, just fresh (not shredded) salad and pickles.

I wouldn't consider eating at McDonald's anymore. In my younger years I was a regular patron. My kids loved the menu and it was convenient on shopping day. Thankfully, that phase didn't last long!

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products