Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:04 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

Quality. Not the quality of the food - which has always only been so-so. But the quality and consistency of the food.

I seldom go to any McD's any more, but when I do it is for Breakfast - Sausage McMuffin, Hash Bowns, Orange Juice. Three things that should taste pretty much the same no matter what store you choose anywhere in the country. Problem is they don't.

I've gone in and only occasionally gotten a good sandwich. To me, that means one that has some kind of oil, grease, something on the bun. Not much, but something the keep the thing from tasting like a hockey puck. Last two; might as well get out the skates.

Hashed Browns should have the right texture. Today, I got a good one. It almost fell apart instead of having to be bitten into. It was not scalding hot, and best of all, it was not burned and hard as most of them seem to be any more. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Orange Juice. The previous time I went to a Mcdonald's, the orange juice had the thickness almost of a milk shake. I believe they blend these with water - kind of like the soda's syrup and carbonated water? If indeed they do mix them, then that mix must have been low on water. What I got was a thick sugary mess. Today, I received an OJ that was not so bad thickness wise, but it was as warm as tap water - no chill at all.

When a customer comes into the place and you have overcooked their meal, don't you think it would be better to redo it - instead of passing it on? Or if the soda or juice is warm because you just put it in, shouldn't you offer the customer something else instead of giving them something below what is considered quality?

I'm not sure why badly prepared food is passed on to the customer. Maybe management may scold or ding the employee for the cost - which causes the employee to just hope you don't complain as you leave?

In the long run it is not the food selection that is killing McDonald's - but the haphazard preparation and quality thereof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
All over the internet I see articles pondering why McDonald's sales are declining. People point the finger at marketing, organization, leadership, efficiency, etc.

The reason McDonald's sales are declining is because people have become health conscious. McDonald's is not healthy, is addictive, makes people feel like crap...so people are pulling away from it, and making better nutrition choices. True, salads, etc are available at McDonald's, but the last place health conscious people want to go for nutritious food would be McDonald's.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:51 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Oneida police investigating after woman finds razor blade in McDonald's burger

Talk about haphazard prep...this just happened at our local McDonald's...

Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Their continuing poor performance was in the news again today.

I have to laugh at the notion that "Americans are becoming more health-conscious." That has nothing to do with it. Americans are, in fact, getting fatter. They're simply overeating elsewhere. When DH and I go to a restaurant, we can't believe the portion sizes. And the prepared [junk] food department at Wegmans has never done better.

We don't go to McDonald's, so all I know is what I've read and heard, but my guess would be that they're failing because their focus is no longer fast, basic food. It's been in the news recently that they're offering kale along with gouda cheese on their burgers. And much has been made in the past when salads, apple slices, and milk were added to the menu. Really, Lol, who goes to McDonald's for health food? Is service no longer "fast" because staff is caught up these added offerings? IMO, they should get back to basics: burgers, fries, pop, and shakes (did they have apple "pie" or something like that?). That's all they should offer.

When a business follows trends that separate it from its once-successful business model, it is sure to fail.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Problem is McDonalds management forgot or don't really know what made them successful in the first place. Small menu with the french fries cut from potatoes right on premises, and good quality reasonably priced burgers, soft drinks and milk shakes, that was all they served. Quality on a limited menu has been tossed aside to try to be all things to all people.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why is McDonald's failing?
1. For the same reason Walmart replaced K-Mart.
2. For the same reason automobile models change yearly.
3. For the same reason Chevy and Ford are considered "old school."
4. For the same reason a child in the back seat continues to ask, "Are we there yet?"
5. For the same reason winning politicians place "change" at the top of their political platform.

Good or bad. Americans demand change.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
MC Donald's is failing or is it going thru changes in consumption just has what made them versus what went to way side in eating habits that made them? My guess is they will menus; shift cost and not have four in a medium like other businesses have done. Much of the corporation profits have been more effected by China meat supply problems. The US is not the growing market businesses are see their future growth in.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
In my opinion the biggest reason is the loss of the people who are willing to pay for good quality food. They cannot compare to what is available at the brew-pubs, nor even Fatburger and 5 Guys. The customers that use the value menu and spend $4 are not going to keep them going, and the suburban mothers don't take the kids there and spend $30 any more. During the recession many were forced to eat there to keep on a slim budget, now that they have recovered, going there is a humbling, somewhat grim reminder of those days. Their sales went up sharply in 2008, and started to level off in 2012, dropped after that, 2014 being the worst. Just the opposite of the economy in general.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I wasn't aware that McDonald's wasn't doing so well. But, even though I very rarely ever eat at a fastfood place (I eat at home to save money), if I have a choice other than McD's, I go somewhere else. The reason is because I can get a tastier burger meal for the same price or less at a different fast food place, like Jack in the Box, which is my favorite fast food burger joint.

For instance, I can get a Jumbo Jack with cheese and it actually has fresh sliced tomatoes and lettuce, etc., which is much more like a home made burger than a comparably priced burger at McD's. I don't think McD's has really changed. I think the competition just got better.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM

615 posts, read 666,489 times
What fast food chains are growing? That might say who is taking the customers from McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products