Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

LONG ISLAND, New York (CNN) -- The death of a temporary Wal-Mart worker trampled by customers amid frantic Black Friday shopping could have been avoided, the union that represents retail workers said Saturday.

Jdimytai Damour, 34, was crushed as he and other employees attempted to unlock the doors of a Long Island, New York, store at 5 a.m. Friday, police said.

Wal-Mart death preventable, union says - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
How despicable. Walmart should have had more police on hand to control the situation.

And the police are trying to identify customers for possible criminal charges? How ridiculous. You have 2,000 people in line, when they sense the first few are inching up that's it, the floodgates of hell are unleashed.

And a woman 8 months pregnant being there? What the hell was she thinking??!? I remember being near Rockefeller Center once when I was 6 months pregnant, with my arms around my belly because I just felt like all the other people were just a little too close for comfort......

Omg, the poor guy........And the a$$hole shoppers complaining that they were in line from the night before! What is this world coming to?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:14 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,561 times
Of course it was preventable. Not buying into the stupid Black Friday would have prevented from happening, and if I were head of security at Wal-Mart and similar low-income shops, I would make sure my security guards had tasers and/or batons. Got to keep the animals in check, judging by these people's behavior.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Wal*Mart should have had more police there?

WTF are you people smoking?! EVERY SINGLE RETAIL STORE IN THE COUNTRY HAS A BLACK FRIDAY SALE! Are you saying they should ALL hire cops?

Come on! Place the blame where it belongs - with the people who lost control and killed a man! Wal*Mart didn't do anything that every single store in the country wasn't doing - they had a sale.

I can't believe you're trying to blame this on Wal*Mart. Don't you have any sense of responsibility and accountability at all???

Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,561 times
it wasn't wal-mart's fault...it's the pigs in line! acting like buffoons!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:14 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,695 times
Default CNN cites the Union?

Of course it wasn't Walmart's fault. But the significance here is that CNN goes to the retail clerks union for the story. Interesting, isn't it? Since when did the retail clerks union become an authority on public security? Or maybe CNN is merely being manipulated by another union...

Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Yes, I think that superdiscounters who are offering cheap prices on popular items SHOULD have extra security. Target, WM, BB, Saks, whatever. Why do people persist in not holding corporate America responsible for their actions? If I have a garage sale and advertise $1.00 Ipods, Gamecubes and diamond tiaras, and there's a riot, guess who would go to jail? ME. We need to make an example of WM.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

WTF are you people smoking?! EVERY SINGLE RETAIL STORE IN THE COUNTRY HAS A BLACK FRIDAY SALE! Are you saying they should ALL hire cops?

Come on! Place the blame where it belongs - with the people who lost control and killed a man! Wal*Mart didn't do anything that every single store in the country wasn't doing - they had a sale.

I can't believe you're trying to blame this on Wal*Mart. Don't you have any sense of responsibility and accountability at all???
It's amazing, right? I can't believe people are actually trying to blame the store. No one is ever responsible...everyone's a victim. It's scary.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
With a crowd like that the only thing that would get them under control is a combination of an army of police officers, hose cannon truck, armored vehicles, tear gas, tasers, and noise based weapons and even then there'd be no guarantee of safety.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
it wasn't wal-mart's fault...it's the pigs in line! acting like buffoons!
When Wal Mart, and everyone else is PROFITING by encouraging the masses to gather & stampede, then YES they should be held to a certain level of responsibility, which means appropriately armed cops or guards. I would say the same thing if this was Target, Best Buy, or anywhere else. Hell, if there was an armed officer pointing his gun at the crowd while the guy opened the door, this may not have happened at all. So maybe they just needed ONE doing something effective.

If the crowd was 2,000, and they had NO security guard, they would be negligent, right? So if the crowd is 2,000 and they have 2 guards, is that ok too? At some point, there is a crowd, that they have basically allowed to gather on their property (don't see anyone of these stores prohibiting people gathering the night before, do you?), and they should be responsible to control that crowd, with a proper number of security personnel. There has to be a certain number of security guards/police per number of anticipated customers.

And I am not smoking anything......

Plenty of business have to hire security. For god's sake, funeral homes hire an officer to help 30 cars get out of a parking lot!

You cannot count on the good will of people and when there are crowds, deals to be had, limited numbers of valuable merchandise, it is dog eat dog. Don't expect people to be polite. People have proven again and again that this cannot be expected of them in this type of situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Yes, I think that superdiscounters who are offering cheap prices on popular items SHOULD have extra security. Target, WM, BB, Saks, whatever. Why do people persist in not holding corporate America responsible for their actions? If I have a garage sale and advertise $1.00 Ipods, Gamecubes and diamond tiaras, and there's a riot, guess who would go to jail? ME. We need to make an example of WM.
I agree, making an example of Walmart may cause change in how these companies do business on Black Friday in the future.

Frankly, I wonder if there are fire codes that are being violated in these stores when they have thousands of people stampeding in. I am surprised there has not been riots and looting on Black Friday in these cases where the shoppers so outnumber the employees (who are obviously not armed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products