Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 12:36 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

My wife called Comcast/ Verizon this morning to check on deals to get internet service into our office and it is expensive. When she spoke to the rep at Verizon he wanted to do a credit check to see what deals we would qualify for. We both thought this was strange and it is their way to get our information so they can bombard us with ads even more then they already do.

Why can't they just give a range for the monthly cost for internet. In this day and age we are not comfortable with just handing out our SS numbers so some company can run our credit to see if we are worthy enough and then next week on the news we hear there has been a data breach..

We both have good to excellent credit but our word wasn't enough to get so much as a quote considering a 800+ score.

My wife was polite to the guy because he was just doing his job but if it were me I would have asked him for his information so I could run a background check on him to assure myself that I would want to do business with him and his company.

I can understand that they would want to do a credit check if they were hooking us up and they needed insurance on their equipment but this was for a quote to get internet into our office with no guarantee that we would even want to business with them.

Have you been asked for your info from Verizon or any other company so they can run your credit before they will talk prices and packages with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:05 PM

636 posts, read 706,596 times
Stay away from Verizon as much as possible.

I dumped Verizon Internet asap last decade after they took over an internet company i was using for about a decade.
The internet company i use now found out this month while checking outside lines,Verizon did not remove 'wires and stuff' like they were suppose to as an ISP on outside public wiring---that hampered my internet speed for years.

Also, With a cell phone in excellent standing for years, i went to Verizon for a possible a switch over. To see what they had. They asked me for a $500 deposit for a cell phone with 730ish credit. The idea to make money off the deposit

If Verizon is the only ISP on the Cape, i, removing the Cape as a place to move to.
I dont trust Verizon.

Last edited by wror; 01-01-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 06:12 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
My husband has Verizon in his office, he's not entirely happy with them. I think he should have gone with Comcast business.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:36 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Just look online. I see $40/month for FIOS 100Mbps. No credit check needed. I’d never let anyone do a hard pull for offers.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:41 PM

636 posts, read 706,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Just look online. I see $40/month for FIOS 100Mbps. No credit check needed. I’d never let anyone do a hard pull for offers.

Verizon: fine print
$40/month PLUS ROUTER CHARGES PLUS EQUIPMENT CHARGES plus,plus,plus Version's actual speed may vary and i DONT think they mean you may get more than 100mbps

"Fios Internet - No annual contract
Limited-time online offer for new Fios Internet residential customers subscribing to a Fios 100/100 Mbps Internet plan. Promo rates via bill credits and increase after promo period. $10/mo. router charge and ther fees, taxes, equip. charges & terms may apply. Paper-Free Billing req’d. Subj. to credit approval & may require a deposit. Fios avail. in select areas. Actual speeds may vary"

Old 01-01-2018, 09:49 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Verizon: fine print
$40/month PLUS ROUTER CHARGES PLUS EQUIPMENT CHARGES plus,plus,plus Version's actual speed may vary and i DONT think they mean you may get more than 100mbps

"Fios Internet - No annual contract
Limited-time online offer for new Fios Internet residential customers subscribing to a Fios 100/100 Mbps Internet plan. Promo rates via bill credits and increase after promo period. $10/mo. router charge and ther fees, taxes, equip. charges & terms may apply. Paper-Free Billing req’d. Subj. to credit approval & may require a deposit. Fios avail. in select areas. Actual speeds may vary"
You don't actually need to use their router. You can purchase your own off the shelf and use it.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:18 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
My wife was checking with Verizon because Comcast has a much higher rate for commercial over residential costs.

Comcast could tell us what the rates are.

What really bugged us was that Verizon wouldn't even give us a estimate without running our credit which is a lousy way to do business.
Why would any company require a credit check before talking prices? We are talking about internet access not a new Ferrari ?
And what if our credit was lousy would the monthly rate be higher because they consider us a bad risk or would they give us a better rate because they feel bad for us because we cannot afford it? I highly doubt that.

What other company out there will run your credit before quoting prices?

Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
We have Verizon and they did not run our credit. Maybe that's something new? I don't care for them, but we get a discount through my husbands work for using them, so we do. I actually think all of them are terrible so it's just finding the best of the worst IMHO, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products