Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 03:43 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times

Advertisements

Someone hacked into my acct earlier this year and went on a shipping spree using the CC that I had on file. There was over $2k in goods that left the Amazon warehouse. I called my CC co., and they took care of the charges.

Amazingly, Amazon wants me to pay for these charges, and is holding my acct hostage. They have sent me several emails with the orders listed (incl. date, order #, and items purchased), and have told me I need to pay for these orders. I have, several times, responded by saying that these particular orders are fraud (there were other legit charges I made, but Amazon is not asking me to pay for those again). But they keep coming back and telling me I need to pay for these items. I keep going back and telling them the charges are fraud, that they were not made by me, and that I never recvd any of these items. I am going around in circles here - which I really would not care so much about, save for the fact that my acct is locked. And when I ask to have access to the acct, I am told no - not until you pay for the fraud.

I am considering opening another acct, and although the CC will be diff, as will the email addy, the name and address will of course be the same. Anyone have any experience here? Will I be able to open another acct, or is Amazon going to disallow me from doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 03:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
did you deal with a live AMZN staff or a ROBOT?
Did the scammer use your card to buy from AMZN or AMZN third party seller?
AMZN does have both buyer and seller protection in case of fraud.
There are ways AMZN,Ebay and other venues determine if it is really you or scammer who hacked into your account,which is called UA unauthorised transaction,by the IP address of how you log into your account .
lets say you let someone use your device and log into AMZN while you are in another room,AMZN could figure it is you who is doing the buying.
You need to talk to a live staff before you open a new account.
If they find out it is you again,it could charge your credit card for those purchases you made

Old 05-02-2022, 07:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If someone used your login to access the account, in Amazon's eyes, that was YOU logging in. It doesn't matter where it came from (just as if you used a VPN), it's you or someone you gave access to the login making the purchases. They will continue coming after you (as you agreed to in the TOS) until they they resolve the issue internally. Because you reported directly to them or via a disputed credit card report, your account is locked as a security measure. Until they decide if it was fraud on your part or someone else part, the account will remain locked. The process can seem slow. Now, quick question, when you saw the fraudulent charges, did you immediately contact Amazon's Fraud Dept or was it handled only via a credit card dispute?

Old 05-03-2022, 11:16 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
AMZN does have both buyer and seller protection in case of fraud.
There are ways AMZN,Ebay and other venues determine if it is really you or scammer who hacked into your account,which is called UA unauthorised transaction,by the IP address of how you log into your account .
lets say you let someone use your device and log into AMZN while you are in another room,AMZN could figure it is you who is doing the buying.
If they find out it is you again,it could charge your credit card for those purchases you made
I am highly suspicious that the e-mails OP is getting are actually from Amazon. I don't really understand it anyway. The credit card was charged, a period of time went by, the credit card company, armed with only OP's word that someone hacked her account, somehow took back the money they paid to Amazon? When I have disputed charges with card companies, there is a process, they don't just yank back funds already paid without an investigation, police report, etc.

OP, what does it say under your Amazon account where the purchases were shipped to?

Old 05-03-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
someone hacked her account

Him

I was really asking about creating another acct, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am highly suspicious that the e-mails OP is getting are actually from Amazon.
The email address is cb-info@amazon.com

If someone used your login to access the account, in Amazon's eyes, that was YOU logging in.

Sorry, not buying that.

Well, it's via email, but it's not a robot.

Both.

Not a bad idea - got a phone #? I haven't called customer service yet, but I highly doubt that they would help me with this.

when you saw the fraudulent charges, did you immediately contact Amazon's Fraud Dept or was it handled only via a credit card dispute?

Both.

The credit card was charged, a period of time went by, the credit card company, armed with only OP's word that someone hacked her account, somehow took back the money they paid to Amazon?

I don't know if "took back" is the proper way to put it - in fact, I do not know what the process is. I know that I am not supposed to be responsible for fraudulent purchases, regardless of the merchant. So yes, I called the CC co., and reported the fraud charges. Those were credited to my acct.

OP, what does it say under your Amazon account where the purchases were shipped to?

Don't know; cant log into my acct to find out.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
if they check the IP address and find out it is your regular ISP,AMZN figures either you made the purchases or you allow someone to do so
Credit card issuer has its own way of detecting fraud,like you just use the card to buy a cup of coffee at local Starbuck,then 20 minutes later,YOU BOUGHT A ROLEX watch in Cancun shopping mall.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Amazon uses complex algorithms to detect duplicate accounts. If they have locked your account and you create another one using same name and address (or same computer), it will get promptly get detected and locked.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
if they check the IP address and find out it is your regular ISP.

If they check, they will see it was not my ip, nor my regular ISP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Amazon uses complex algorithms to detect duplicate accounts. If they have locked your account and you create another one using same name and address (or same computer), it will get promptly get detected and locked.

Good to know - ty.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:59 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Try an email to:

Dave Clark
SVP, Worldwide Operations and Customer Service at Amazon
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
davecl@amazon.com

Old 05-03-2022, 09:29 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Him

I was really asking about creating another acct, but...

The email address is cb-info@amazon.com

If someone used your login to access the account, in Amazon's eyes, that was YOU logging in.

Sorry, not buying that.

Well, it's via email, but it's not a robot.

Both.

Not a bad idea - got a phone #? I haven't called customer service yet, but I highly doubt that they would help me with this.

when you saw the fraudulent charges, did you immediately contact Amazon's Fraud Dept or was it handled only via a credit card dispute?

Both.

The credit card was charged, a period of time went by, the credit card company, armed with only OP's word that someone hacked her account, somehow took back the money they paid to Amazon?

I don't know if "took back" is the proper way to put it - in fact, I do not know what the process is. I know that I am not supposed to be responsible for fraudulent purchases, regardless of the merchant. So yes, I called the CC co., and reported the fraud charges. Those were credited to my acct.

Don't know; cant log into my acct to find out.

Did you previously receive Emails from Amazon notifying you that "your" order had just been shipped with tracking info? Did you save them? Did you notify Amazon then that you hadn't ordered all that stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products