Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 10:15 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Did you previously receive Emails from Amazon notifying you that "your" order had just been shipped with tracking info? Did you save them? Did you notify Amazon then that you hadn't ordered all that stuff?
It would seem to me that if someone had hacked the account, then they would have changed the email address too. This all sounds very odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 07:09 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
It is not too difficult to file a chargeback with your cc issuer , you have to admit in writing that you did not make these charges or do this online .
To call AMZN and ask if you can open a new account just because AMZN locked up your old account will not work,try to go around AMZN and open a new account can be done if you know how.
Many AMZN third party sellers have their own websites,you can always buy from them outside AMZN.
You will find some Ebay sellers engaging in retail arbitrage on Ebay,listing items from AMZN and then place your Ebay order with AMZN and ask AMZN to ship to you as a 'friend'.
You may pay a little more or pay same price plus shipping.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
AMZN has seens more than its fair share of 'My account has been hacked',most cases are insider jobs,someone who know you hack your account.
There is one case a third party seller has $80k in his AMZN account,someone hacked his account,change his bank account linked to his AMZN account and withdraw it to this new bank account.
When the owner finds out,he wants to know what is the new bank account but AMZN refused to tell him,but it has since changed its policy-,to replace the existing bank account with a new one,you must first tell AMZN what is the existing bank account number,anyone who has this bank account information is probably an employee of yours or ex employee or someone who is privy to such info.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:31 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Him

I was really asking about creating another acct, but...

The email address is cb-info@amazon.com

If someone used your login to access the account, in Amazon's eyes, that was YOU logging in.

Sorry, not buying that.

did you deal with a live AMZN staff or a ROBOT?

Well, it's via email, but it's not a robot.

Did the scammer use your card to buy from AMZN or AMZN third party seller?

Both.

You need to talk to a live staff before you open a new account.

Not a bad idea - got a phone #? I haven't called customer service yet, but I highly doubt that they would help me with this.

when you saw the fraudulent charges, did you immediately contact Amazon's Fraud Dept or was it handled only via a credit card dispute?

Both.

The credit card was charged, a period of time went by, the credit card company, armed with only OP's word that someone hacked her account, somehow took back the money they paid to Amazon?

I don't know if "took back" is the proper way to put it - in fact, I do not know what the process is. I know that I am not supposed to be responsible for fraudulent purchases, regardless of the merchant. So yes, I called the CC co., and reported the fraud charges. Those were credited to my acct.

OP, what does it say under your Amazon account where the purchases were shipped to?

Don't know; cant log into my acct to find out.
They don't normally take it back from the retailer though (it wasn't their fault either), they eat the cost themselves (I believe). So none of the items should be unpaid. That's why I'm wondering if the e-mails you're getting saying they're from Amazon are actually a scam.

The fraud department can't give you info on where the items were shipped to? Did you make a police report? My identity got stolen once after I applied in person for credit at Ashley Furniture. A couple of days later they opened a slew of credit cards in my name, they even bought new iphones and had my phone and my mother's phone deactivated (which is how I found out it happened, went to make a phone call and had no service), opened instant credit card at Dick's and several other stores and maxed them out (only one, Macy's, called me before they issued the card). I was not held responsible for any of it. I did make a police too though.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-04-2022 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-04-2022, 10:50 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Did you previously receive Emails from Amazon notifying you that "your" order had just been shipped with tracking info? Did you save them? Did you notify Amazon then that you hadn't ordered all that stuff?
That's a good point! Obviously your e-mail is the one they still have on file, you should have gotten e-mails immediately after the purchase. You can't just enter a new one only to be used with one purchase, and if they changed your e-mail permanently, why would they change it back again? Then you'd get another e-mail saying it was delivered, and the delivery info (often a picture too) would have been in that e-mail. It makes no sense that you didn't get any of those e-mails yet they are sending e-mails to your address now.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:26 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Someone hacked into my acct earlier this year and went on a shipping spree using the CC that I had on file. There was over $2k in goods that left the Amazon warehouse. I called my CC co., and they took care of the charges.

Amazingly, Amazon wants me to pay for these charges, and is holding my acct hostage. They have sent me several emails with the orders listed (incl. date, order #, and items purchased), and have told me I need to pay for these orders. I have, several times, responded by saying that these particular orders are fraud (there were other legit charges I made, but Amazon is not asking me to pay for those again). But they keep coming back and telling me I need to pay for these items. I keep going back and telling them the charges are fraud, that they were not made by me, and that I never recvd any of these items. I am going around in circles here - which I really would not care so much about, save for the fact that my acct is locked. And when I ask to have access to the acct, I am told no - not until you pay for the fraud.

I am considering opening another acct, and although the CC will be diff, as will the email addy, the name and address will of course be the same. Anyone have any experience here? Will I be able to open another acct, or is Amazon going to disallow me from doing that?

Have you actually talked to Amazon CS?

Amazon's customer service phone number is 1-888-280-4331, and that number is live 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

They've worked hard for me in the past

Old 05-04-2022, 02:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Whenever I log in with a new browser/device I get a MFA text with a security code.

Old 05-04-2022, 04:12 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
OP, if you reused that Amazon password on any other websites, you need to change it asap if you haven't already done so.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Him

I was really asking about creating another acct, but...

The email address is cb-info@amazon.com

If someone used your login to access the account, in Amazon's eyes, that was YOU logging in.

Sorry, not buying that.

did you deal with a live AMZN staff or a ROBOT?

Well, it's via email, but it's not a robot.

Did the scammer use your card to buy from AMZN or AMZN third party seller?

Both.

You need to talk to a live staff before you open a new account.

Not a bad idea - got a phone #? I haven't called customer service yet, but I highly doubt that they would help me with this.

when you saw the fraudulent charges, did you immediately contact Amazon's Fraud Dept or was it handled only via a credit card dispute?

Both.

The credit card was charged, a period of time went by, the credit card company, armed with only OP's word that someone hacked her account, somehow took back the money they paid to Amazon?

I don't know if "took back" is the proper way to put it - in fact, I do not know what the process is. I know that I am not supposed to be responsible for fraudulent purchases, regardless of the merchant. So yes, I called the CC co., and reported the fraud charges. Those were credited to my acct.

OP, what does it say under your Amazon account where the purchases were shipped to?

Don't know; cant log into my acct to find out.

See the link below, cb-info@amazon.com is not listed there as a valid Amazon email addy. Stop communicating with whoever you're emailing. Go to Amazon.com using a different web browser, or even your cell phone using the app and/or cell browser to see if you can still log in with your usual log in. I suggest a different browser in case you have malaware attached to whatever browser you're using to speak to them by email. I've never seen Amazon do anything via email only. It's always been by a phone call, I believe they also have an online chat on their site.

Contact Us – Amazon Customer Service
https://www.amazon.com › foresight › hubgateway
Looking for assistance from customer support representatives over the phone? Please call 1-888-280-4331 if you have any questions.

Amazon, Identifying false (spoofed) e-mails

Quote:
You might receive emails from Amazon, such as Sold, Ship Now emails or Technical Notification emails. However, sometimes you might receive emails that are not really from Amazon, even if at first glance they may appear to be. Instead, such emails are falsified and attempt to convince you to reveal sensitive account information.

These false emails, also called "spoofed" emails or "phishing," look similar to legitimate emails from Amazon. Often these emails direct you to a false website that looks similar to an Amazon website, where you might be asked to give account information, such as your email address and password combination.

Know what Amazon won't ask in email: Amazon will not ask you for the following information in an email communication:

Your bank account information, credit card number, PIN number, or credit card security code (including "updates" to any of the above)
Your mother's maiden name or other information to identify you, such as your birth city or your favorite pet's name
Your Amazon or Seller Central account password

Review the email for grammatical or typographical errors: Watch for poor grammar or typographical errors. Many phishing emails are translated from other languages or are sent without being proof-read.
Check the return address: Genuine emails from Amazon always will come from an address ending in "@amazon.com" or the email addresses listed here:

amazon.co.uk
amazon.de
amazon.es
amazon.fr
amazon.it
amazon.lu
amazon.com.au
amazonsellerservices.com
amazon.ae
sell.amazon.com.au
amazon.sa
sell.amazon.com
gs.amazon.cn
sell.amazon.ca
vender.amazon.com.mx
venda.amazon.com.br
sell.amazon.co.uk
sell.amazon.sg
satis.amazon.com.tr
amazon.com.tr

Check the email's header information. If the "received from," "reply to," or "return path" for the email does not come from one of the sources above, it is not from Amazon. Most email programs let you examine the source of the email. The method you use to check the header information varies depending upon the email program you use. The following are some examples of fraudulent return addresses:

seller-performance@payments-amazon.com
amazon-security@hotmail.com
amazon-payments@msn.com

Old 05-05-2022, 04:57 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
If the CC is covering those charges, why should Amazon insist you pay? That means Amazon will get paid twice. Something is very wrong somewhere.

And speaking of hacking, who's got a Kindle? If your Kindle leaves your house, put in a Password. If you misplace the Kindle, someone can find and keep it and download thousands of books at your expense. Amazon will hold you accountable for those purchases.

At least a Password will slow a Kindle thief down, giving you a chance to realize it's missing and closing down your account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products