Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I guess lesson learned (or should be) - READ the tab before signing
? The OP never signed anything for $1,061.28, so he has no idea how it showed up on his debit card. He only signed the one for $40. It seems like they must have run his debit card for two transactions, one of which he never signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:35 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
That’s terrible! If it were me, I would be utterly defunct until it was corrected because I have no cushion.

Heck, I was “utterly defunct” once because I paid for gas at the pump & it froze the only $100 I had to my name for 6 days.

I use primarily cash now. Have a card to book a hotel room or make an online purchase but my day to day existence is as a cash consumer.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:28 AM

1,487 posts, read 783,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It could be a mistake or it could be malicious. The way it works in my area is I order my first drink, they ask if I want to run a tab, I give them my card, they swipe it to get pre-auth and give it back. When I order another drink they give it to me and just ask for last name on the card (esp. at the bar, a table server usually remembers) and away I go. When I close out they ask if I want to put it on my card, I say yes, they run it and bring me receipt to sign.

It could be the big boss was covering a social outing for a dozen employees, had a tab running, went to close out, and bartender *thought* they remembered his name (as you) and ran it on the wrong card. Or maybe they asked, his last name was same as yours, and they ran it on the wrong card. Boss is buzzed, it's company money, so he signs without even looking at it.

Or someone heard you ordering drinks or closing out, then ordered more drinks after you left and said to put it on their tab, using your name. Since they were spending your money they went First Class, ordered expensive bottles of wine or generously bought everyone at the bar a round.

Or a bartender/server was running a scam, ran drinks on your card whenever someone paid them in cash, and kept the cash. The books balance for the bar at the end of the night. Maybe they think the complaint won't get back, or the bar will just write it off, or they can't know/prove who ran the card, or they are just dumb. Crooks are like that.
Very interesting post. I'm going to save it for future reference. You've done a good job covering the angles.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:32 AM

1,487 posts, read 783,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
That’s terrible! If it were me, I would be utterly defunct until it was corrected because I have no cushion.

Heck, I was “utterly defunct” once because I paid for gas at the pump & it froze the only $100 I had to my name for 6 days.

I use primarily cash now. Have a card to book a hotel room or make an online purchase but my day to day existence is as a cash consumer.
I got double charged by Groupon for a pet bed, and I flipped out!! I have no cushion either. It was a pre-auth, and came off three days later. My banker explained to me how plastic works now, and he said when you go to the pumps, they charge you for a fill-up, even if you only pumped $10.00. They don't remove the extra for two days. What kind of **** is that?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:59 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Scooby, what did the bar say? I am very curious as to how this could have happened. I'm glad Chase has been good to you!

Old 08-08-2018, 03:22 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
The news has been full of stories where Eastern bloc babes in high heels introduced and/or met or chatted up men and the next day their AE card had a charge on it, in the tens OF THOUSANDS of dollars. Any hospitality venue today you have to be careful.

Or use a pre bought debit card that they can't "jones" you with.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Scooby, what did the bar say? I am very curious as to how this could have happened. I'm glad Chase has been good to you!
I called them and they gave me this song and dance about a typo from the tip. Then he said they typed it in wrong again, inadvertently taking out another large amount. Although it seems like a lame explanation, I'm inclined to believe him because there is no way an average person would not have noticed such a huge bill, even if I had had that extra money in my checking account and my account had stayed in the black. He was extremely apologetic, told me he would refund the entire amount including the $40, and gave me his personal cell phone number to call in case it didn't show up on my account within the next couple of days. I called Chase and they don't see the credit yet but I will give it a day and see if it shows up.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:27 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
If you're getting an overdraft notice from your bank, this is a debit card. While I'm sure this will be fixed, debit cards providers are NOT required to offer the same legal protections as credit cards--meaning disputing charges.

Depends on your bank, but until the bar fixes this you may not have the funds available.

I wouldn't worry so much now about how this happened. I'd be on the phone with the bar trying to get it fixed.
I would have let Chase do the investigation. It would have been quicker then dealing with the merchant. Most reputable banks (Chase included) will give you a temporary credit until they are done with the investigation, then the credit becomes permanent when the resolution is settled in your favor. I have seen when temporary credits are reversed if the bank can prove the charges are legit.

I personally never use my debit card. Credit cards have more protection so I use that (get my points) and pay it off. Too many scams with debit cards.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 AM

326 posts, read 199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I got double charged by Groupon for a pet bed, and I flipped out!! I have no cushion either. It was a pre-auth, and came off three days later. My banker explained to me how plastic works now, and he said when you go to the pumps, they charge you for a fill-up, even if you only pumped $10.00. They don't remove the extra for two days. What kind of **** is that?

We must use different banks.

I use Wells Fargo and I've never had that happen to me... be it $20 in gas or $60 in gas. I pay at the pump and choose debit and I've never had a hold on my account differ from what I spent on gas.

As for debit card security... I've only once had a problem. About 5 years ago I woke up to a $300 ATM withdrawal from a machine in downtown Seattle... with the card still in my wallet. Apparently I was skimmed at a grocery store or gas pump and the thieves made a new card with my info and withdrew the $300 daily maximum. What's really good though is my bank notified me of it before I even knew about it... credited the $300 back instantly. The entire skimming operation was widespread with many people affected by it.

Didn't cost me a nickel though. Other than that I've never had an issue using a card but I do prefer cash whenever possible.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times
Why I always just use credit cards. My debit cards only to get cash.

With a credit card, the credit card company will take care of it. You just have to notify them. Doesn't impact you while they figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products