Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,559,292 times

Advertisements

I shipped a small priority package Monday morning to a desination about 700 miles away and the expected arrival date is Thursday. That's 4 days transit time by my clock, wtf happened to this service? used to be you could count on 2 business days, and even if you don't count Monday (which I think they should) it should be arriving on Wendsday. Might as well just save your money and send regular mail, wtf is the point of priority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,353,866 times
Priority Mail is not and never was a guaranteed service. Even Amazon doesn't use it for Prime shipments (except to Alaska/Hawaii/Puerto Rico) due to the inconsistency in transit times.

As for Priority vs. First Class, sometimes it can save a day in transit time, plus the included insurance is a bonus. Remember that Priority typically travels on FedEx aircraft, while First Class typically travels on passenger airlines.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Priority Mail is not and never was a guaranteed service. Even Amazon doesn't use it for Prime shipments (except to Alaska/Hawaii/Puerto Rico) due to the inconsistency in transit times.

As for Priority vs. First Class, sometimes it can save a day in transit time, plus the included insurance is a bonus. Remember that Priority typically travels on FedEx aircraft, while First Class typically travels on passenger airlines.
I haven't sent a package priority in a few years, but i remember it used to be called 2-day priority, and I also remember everytime I used it packages arrived in 2 business days. Now it's 2-3 days, and they can't even honor that - the package I sent on Monday morning is going to arrive tomorrow, which is 4 days transit time. Total joke, I'll never waste money on what has obviously turned into a marketing gimmick again.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,353,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I haven't sent a package priority in a few years, but i remember it used to be called 2-day priority, and I also remember everytime I used it packages arrived in 2 business days. Now it's 2-3 days, and they can't even honor that - the package I sent on Monday morning is going to arrive tomorrow, which is 4 days transit time. Total joke, I'll never waste money on what has obviously turned into a marketing gimmick again.
The 2 days has always been an estimate. Priority Mail has never been a guaranteed service, neither in the past nor today.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:
Are you sure that you are not thinking of a UPS service. The postal service used to advertise its Priority Mail as getting there "in 2 or 3 days". The only "2 day" service was Express Mail which missed the cut off time to be accepted for the next day by noon guarantee.

On the street level first with Amazon parcels as the postal service had dreams of becoming their primary delivery force, then all packages demanding a bar code scan did change the nature of a priority parcel from something special to just another piece as units struggle to move every piece, each with its own tracking bar code to service, every day

Old 09-19-2019, 08:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
They say 2-3 days. Ship on a Monday = 3 days til Thursday.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
They say 2-3 days. Ship on a Monday = 3 days til Thursday.
I'm sure regular mail would have gotten there the same time.
Maybe some posters here don't remember when priority mail was 2 days, but that's what it used to be. I don't remember if it was officially guaranteed, but what I do remember is every time I sent or received a package sent priority it arrived within 2 business days. This was years ago when I used to do a lot of buying/selling on Ebay, which for the most part I stopped doing a long time ago.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:
I'm sure regular mail would have gotten there the same time.
Maybe some posters here don't remember when priority mail was 2 days, but that's what it used to be. I don't remember if it was officially guaranteed, but what I do remember is every time I sent or received a package sent priority it arrived within 2 business days. This was years ago when I used to do a lot of buying/selling on Ebay, which for the most part I stopped doing a long time ago.
It was advertised as 2 or 3 days in the days before scanners and tracking bar codes. Today when you print a label might say next day, or 2 days and will give you an expected delivery date but the only guarantee was and remains on Express mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products